Linotype Source

Help Support Ruger Forum:

modrifle3

Buckeye
Anyone have a good cheap source for Linotype ingots? My casting partner had a huge stock he got from a news paper when they went digital, but now that I am setting up my own shop I need a source to harden my wheel weight lead.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Haha I can use as much as I want if I drive hour and a half each way. I have three kids and I need a way to do this at home. I usually use his equipment and my wheel weights, but I just hate to ask for it outright.

sixshot

Buckeye
Finding "cheap" linotype is like hitting the lottery, probably not going to happen. If you have lots of WW's you might try trading some for type metal. A little linotype goes a long way if you are using some for handguns.

Dick

I sold all my linotype as it's really not necessary. If you want hard bullets, water-drop your bullets in a 5 gallon bucket of water as they come out of the mould and they'll end up in the 18 to 20 Bhn range, or about the same as linotype.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
I just made an order from ZipMetals , their prices were better than Roto Metals. I usually always order from Roto Metals but their site was acting up the last few days. I will try and remember to report on ZipMetals service quality when I can.

Flash

Buckeye
Chuckbuster said:
If you haven't already you should join castboolits, here and there are the only two forums I need.

Back in April, a member there offered a box of Monotype for 100 once fired 357 magnum cases. Not knowing what I'd get in return, I got his info and sent him some hand picked cases. He replied by shipping me 25 lbs of monotype. Talk about hitting the lottery.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I have a bunch of once fired .38 spl cases that are sized and reprimed. I would make that trade.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
Back in the 80's I used linotype to cast a lot of high velocity .357 and .44 Magnum loads. I would call around and have no difficulty finding hundreds of pounds, and they would either give it to me to get rid of it or sell it for cheap money.

My father in law was a newspaper type setter decades ago and he had the front page of an issue of the Patriot Ledger from about 1974, cast in a slightly curved chunk of linotype about a 1/4" thick, with everything reversed. I ended up busting it up and casting a bunch of bullets out of it.

When I started the family I didn't want lead around the house so I ended up giving away easily a hundred pounds worth.

I kick myself repeatedly over that.

Latest posts