Source for Handholds for .45ACP Cylinder in OM Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Hello Everyone. It's been several years since I've visited the RugerForum having lost interest for a while. But I'm back now.

I have an OM .45 Blackhawk Convert. with 7 1/2" barrel that I had the throats of both cylinders opened up to .4525 by The Cylindersmith several years ago. Also had Alex Hamilton build up the front sight blade. He also got the barrel screwed on straight and indexed properly.

A letter from Ruger indicated that this gun was shipped in June 1971 as a Model BKH45X with extra .45 ACP cylinder.

I really like shooting the .45 ACP and have some 240 Sierra JHC's and some 240 Hornady XTP's HP's that I'd like to load up in ACP cases.

Can anyone point me to some loading data for these bullets for shooting specifically in the Ruger .45 Convert. with the ACP cylinder? I like heavy cast bullets too but no heavier than about 255 grains in the ACP case.

I like to load up said bullets above, both jacketed and cast, to around 900 to 950 f.p.s.

Many thanks,
Harry Dinwiddie

wwb

Hunter
You sure those 240 grain XTPs are .45 cal? That's generally the weight of .44 cal XTPs. The .45s are 230 grain..... maybe they make them, but I've never seen them.

Anyhow, I load 230 grain .45 ACP with 6.6 grains of Hodgdon Longshot, and get just short of 900 fps out of a 5 inch barrel on a 1911. With a 7-1/2 inch barrel, you ought to be well over 900 fps. Longshot is a relatively slow powder, so the pressure (according to the Hodgdon manual) is still low.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
wwb,
yes, they are .45 Cal. On the box, the label says 240 GR XTP MAG #45220. QTY: 100. Have had these around for several years.

Maybe they don't even make 'em anymore. So, that would account for me not being actively reloading and pursuing my handgun activities for the last 4 to 5 years. But I've got the bug again now (took up skeet shooting, heaven forbid). :mrgreen:

I have some RED DOT on hand, along with some Win231 and some HS-6. Hopefully I can find some pretty good loads using these powders. If not, I might just get some Longshot. Sounds like a good powder for this application.

And thank you Eric for the link. I'll take a look at this for sure!!! :)

Mus408

Hunter
I like to use Power Pistol and Unique for my .45 ACP loads.
Are those 240 gr. XTP bullets for .45 Colt with crimp groove or for .45 ACP?
Just make sure the amount of bullet seated is the same as a typical 230 gr. FMJ .45 ACP bullet to keep pressures in check.
Is that 240 XTP bullet a #45220 ?

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Mus408,

Yes, it says on the box, #45220.

And, yes, they do have a crimp groove which I much prefer for using in my S&W Model 25-2 revolvers. I find I can use a slight roll crimp with these bullets and still have them seat just right in either the Ruger ACP cylinder or my M-25-2 Smith's with or without the moon clips.

Thanks for the caution concerning seating depth. I will watch that!

Mus408

Hunter
TWG.... I tried something you might like.
I loaded up some .45 Specials which is a .45 ACP sized case with a head like .45 Colt.
Has same head thickness of the Colt which it is a shorter .45 Colt case ordered from Starline Brass.
I wanted to use these in my Ruger Birds Head NV revolver which is chambered for .45 ACP.

Loaded some up with an Xtreme 255 gr. plated bullet. Using 5.7 gr. of Unique powder and seating the bullet just below the crimp groove to keep bullet seat depth close to 230 gr. ACP type bullet,I get around 860 FPS out of my Ruger Bisley 5.5 inch barrel and 800 FPS out of the .45 ACP Birds Head revolver with 3.7 inch barrel. About same performance as the standard 250 gr. .45 Colt load with 8 gr. of Unique.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Mus408 said:
I like to use Power Pistol and Unique for my .45 ACP loads.
Are those 240 gr. XTP bullets for .45 Colt with crimp groove or for .45 ACP?
Just make sure the amount of bullet seated is the same as a typical 230 gr. FMJ .45 ACP bullet to keep pressures in check.
Is that 240 XTP bullet a #45220 ?
What you have is .452 Dia. You need .451 Dia #45171, #45160 The first 3 digits will tell you the diameter. I would think load like for a 1911.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
I loaded up 50 of those 240 grain, .45 Hornady XTP bullets over 8.3 Grains of HS-6 with a roll crimp in Federal ACP cases. Shot some of them today and they were very accurate at 25 yards. Got 2 to 2 1/2" groups. About three out of six spent cases would fall out of the cylinder; no signs of high pressure (flattened primers, etc.).
I'll be digging in to my notes tonight to find out how I used to post pictures here. Would like you all to see my .45 Three Screw Convert.

Thanks dave.inkc for your info. concerning Missouri Cast Bullets. I'll be sure to take a look.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
"I have an OM .45 Blackhawk Convert. with 7 1/2" barrel...

"I really like shooting the .45 ACP and have some 240 Sierra JHC's and some 240 Hornady XTP's HP's that I'd like to load up in ACP cases."
----Harry Dinwiddie

The .45 ACP is a fine cartridge for the single-round extractor of peacemaker-type single action. But it would be a waste of good bullets to load ACP brass with Sierra and Hornady jacketed hollow points designed for the .45 Colt. Speaking specifically for the full size Blackhawk .45 Colt cylinder, the Sierra 240 JHC should reach 1,200 to 1,300 fps when seated over 27/Win 296 or 27/H110 in .45 Colt brass. I use a mg primer for that arrangement.

The .45 ACP cylinder works great with regular .45 ACP ammo, which I load to shoot in any worthwhile auto pistol or Ruger Convertible.
David Bradshaw