Like to hear from OWNERS of the LC9.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Philbee

Bearcat
I think I have another case of the "Hot Running Wants" and I'd like to hear from folks that have these guns and what you think of them. Thanks for your time.

hittman

Staff member
No problems with mine. I've only got maybe 250 or 300 rounds through it but nary a problem or concern. Functions fine every time.

Perfect size to IWB ~ a little big for pocket carry for me.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
+1 on both Jimbo's & Hittman's responses. Easy to IWB carry and very accurate. It's my EDC. My only problem is I sweat too easy. My IWB holster is made of leather not horsehide and caused some rust on the slide during the warmer summer months. Got it cleaned up and now its cooler out and I wear a tucked in t-shirt between my skin and the holster. Sweatshirt covers it up nicely.

When it gets warm again I may have to invest in another Crossbreed Holster made with horsehide. I had one a few years ago and never a problem with moisture. Just my 2 cents but I highly recommend the LC9. Some complain about the long trigger but it's very easy to get used to.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
I've got close to a little over 600 rounds thru mine. I had two light strikes in the 1st 100rds. I knocked out the pin that holds the firing pin in and carefully removed the springs for the LCI and blew out the firing pin channel. there was some filings and crude that came out. dried out and the slightest film of CLP applied and put everything back together have not had a problem since.

I carry mine in a Hybrid IWB horse hide holster made by Tommy Theis. Same thing as a crossbred super tuck but half the price and faster service, and no give away crosses on the metal clips. I need the pinky extension on the magazine for best control and found pulling the trigger with it at the first joint in my finger minimizes the long DA trigger pull and allows me to shoot it well.

I would rather shoot my SR9, Browning HP, or 1911 at the range but the LC9 does well for what it intended. For me I require deep concealment as I am often in business dress.

good luck
GF

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Like it a lot for all kinds of concealed carry, though being quite worried for lightstrike issues on mine (and many other people's ones).
It worked fine after sending it back to local Ruger service (100% function, no lightstrike yet since then - not so many rounds fired though)
Once you get used to the VERY long DAO pull, it can be shot pretty well and accurate.
If only Ruger worked on the lightstrike issue! I mean- new members come here all the time, speaking of problems with their LC9s. So it's not something that would only concern the first serieas made, it keeps going! There was just a bunch of these pistols imported here in Czech republic and I think they don't sell well, as everyone has "heard they do lightstrikes" - why is Ruger company not worried about ruining their reputation of reliability?

tgs33

Bearcat
Love mine, although only 100 or so rounds through it. Had it for just over a month. No problems at all and surprisingly accurate for a small gun. You do have to get used to the trigger pull. I can use the same pocket and IWB holsters that I have for my LCR. It was just a little dirty with a little grease and oil but none of the filings others have reported. Definitely a keeper and may become my primary carry gun when the weather warms up.

BrittB

Single-Sixer
Works like a champ, just wished they give you two magazines instead of one.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Mine now has 400 rounds through it having owned it for two weeks and perfect function on every shot. I did buy a second magazine for it. A much nicer and more accurate pistol than I ever expected.

oleozz

Bearcat
I shot two rounds through mine yesterday, attempted to fire the third round but no-go. Took it back to the house and disassembled it, looks the hammer catch will not stay connected to the hammer. Have only fired a total of 75 shells through it. Up to that point it worked great!!

jhearne

Buckeye
Mine's still new, only 100 rounds through it. Works like all my other Rugers, it's a great little gun.

Josh

sheriff54

Bearcat
i've had mine a bit over six months, with a bit over 200 rounds thru it. I enjoy the size, the weight, the "feel". pocket carry mostly and some iwb. I'm in the "couldn't be happier" crowd. it takes a bit to get the trigger pull down but it worked itself out in less than 50 rounds. I have a lot of time with the double action revolver so this was not a "new thing" to me.

bspitt

Single-Sixer
Had mine just over a week with 100 rounds thought it. The trigger pull is long, but not much longer than most dual action revolvers. When I took my time to try to shoot it very accurately, I did worse because I could not quit thinking about the long pull. When I forced myself to just shoot and quit trying "to force" good shot placement, I did better. Perfect for IWB carry with a hybrid crossbreed type holster. I do need to order another magazine. Surprisingly I like the feel better without the pinky extention floorplate. It feels a little like the .38 snub nose I am use to carrying. It was VERY oily & greasy from the factory. The rear sight blade was loose (I almost lost it due to it almost falling off). Other than that, no issues whatsoever with Winchester White box from wally mart. Jury is still out for me on this one, but I think she is gonna be a keeper and daily carry.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
Philbee said:
I think I have another case of the "Hot Running Wants" and I'd like to hear from folks that have these guns and what you think of them. Thanks for your time.

I've had mine since March 2011 (hard to believe it's been almost a year). I've put over 750 rounds through her. I did have to send it back to Ruger for the Hammer Catch Spring. Other than that it shoots great. The slide to frame tolerance is a little too loose for my liking though. For concealment I don't think you can do much better than this little 9mm. I carry in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck. Good Luck!

welder

Buckeye
300 rds or so and no problems at all. Trigger took some getting used to but all in all I like it for it's ease of carry. I did remove the firing pin to check the channel and it was clean, no brass at all, just a little smoke residue.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
Got mine in April and have not had any issues with it at all.

No light strikes, no wear on the guide rod, no FTF. Works every time. Have about 800 rounds through it so far. No problems at all. Zero, zip, nada. Less bulky than my LCR. Carries well. Hardly notice it.

VQ

customf1

Bearcat
Sme here no issues after 1000 rounds. I upgraded to a Galloway SS Guiderod and 18LB recoil spring to handle heavier loads. I did have to get used to the Long Trigger pull. All is good!!

Dixienormas2

Bearcat
I have owned mine since mid December. I only have around 250 rounds through it currently and have been in love with the gun up until my last range trip. I purchased 2 new clips for my little 9 before heading to the range. (Was excited because I had been waiting for a month for them, apparently they are very hard to procure currently.)

Upon arrival to the range I loaded up all 3 clips, and slowly put the first clip down range with a nice grouping @ 10 yards. I then proceeded to fire the second clip also at 10 yards with horrendous results! I had them sprayed everywhere. I got to looking at the gun and noticed my rear sight had come loose and was sliding 1/4" inch left or right. No biggie, I tightened it best I could with my pocket knife until I could get home to an allen wrench.

I then loaded up and shot the third clip (One of the two new clips) with much better results accuracy wise. The second to last round stove piped on me. I don't think I was limp wristing it, but I guess I very well could have. Also I wonder if it had anything to do with the new clip.

The stove pipe concerned me a bit, so I loaded up all three clips a dumped out all the ammo as quick as i could trying to replicate the stove pipe. Chewed up all the clips with no issue, but the rear sight was getting loose again.

I packed her up and brought it home, tightened the sight properly and gave her a good scrubbing. I have also swapped my XD45 as my carry gun as my confidence is a tad shaken in the ruger. (Could of been the new clip, or my limp noodle wrist) I just know my XD45 has never faultered in over 2,000 rounds.

I have also been reading up on the light strike issues people have been reporting, and I can honestly say that I have not inspected my spent casings, but I will on the next range trip with great detail. I plan on throwing 200-300 rounds down range with her this weekend and will update on how it goes, maybe I can get a little confidence back in her.

FYI - I clean ALL of my guns religiously after EVERY range trip if they fired 1,000 rounds or 10 rounds. I was also using winchester white box target ammo from wally world. I have also ran a box of 50 federal hallow points and a clip of speer gold dot. She stove piped with the white box wally world target round.

Wow - quite the post for a first post eh? lol

Latest posts