Life expectancy of a Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trouble

Single-Sixer
Hello all, I picked up a 1973 vintage Single Six last night for a great price, it's kind of rough though. Finish is shot as it appears to have been a car gun and spent it's life in it's holster under a car seat, mechanically fine just quite unsightly. I have no way of knowing the round count although the WMR cylinder was fired for the first time by me last nite :D What's a reasonable life expectancy for a SS? It seems that it has plenty of life left, are there any parts that I should replace? Thanks! Pics will be forthcoming after a much needed cleanup.

sp327

Single-Sixer
Maybe your great grand children will let you know That's if you and your grandchildren shoott it alot.

hittman

Staff member
Life expectancy of a Single Six?

Who knows?! I brought one home yesterday that was made in 1959 and it's nowhere close to being "expired".

wellfedirishman

Bearcat
Just don't go hot-rodding your reloads and it will last forever :)

I have one from the mid 50's and it shoots like a champ and is tight as ever. I have put a lot of rounds through it. I have no idea how many any former owners shot.

Flash

Buckeye
wellfedirishman said:

I have one from the mid 50's and it shoots like a champ and is tight as ever. I have put a lot of rounds through it. I have no idea how many any former owners shot.

Can you reload rimfire?

trouble

Single-Sixer
Flash said:
wellfedirishman said:

Can you reload rimfire?

It is technically doable but is a long process, as promised here's a pic of my new SS. We spent all morning cleaning it up and I had to reblue the bare metal as the finish was at about 10% As a plus though this is the most accurate SS that I've ever owned, she may be ugly but boy she shoots!

:lol:

pics263Standarde-mailview.jpg

wellfedirishman

Bearcat
Flash said:
wellfedirishman said:

Can you reload rimfire?

That was a joke, hence the smiley face after it. When anyone asks 'how long will my gun last' the typical answer is 'as long as you keep your loads within safe limits you are fine'.

To the original poster, that's a nice single six. Nevermind the cosmetic wear, it will shoot straight forever. And the adjustable sights are nice. Mine just has the windage-drift type.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
trouble said:
Flash said:
wellfedirishman said:

Can you reload rimfire?

It is technically doable but is a long process, as promised here's a pic of my new SS. We spent all morning cleaning it up and I had to reblue the bare metal as the finish was at about 10% As a plus though this is the most accurate SS that I've ever owned, she may be ugly but boy she shoots!

:lol:

pics263Standarde-mailview.jpg

Your Single-Six has Charactor and History! :D ..............................

trouble

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
Ugly ends at the target.

Well put, it'll feed me and protect me and that's true beauty! Thanks for the compliments guys, for $175 I just could not say no.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Can't even begin to estimate the number of rds through my two, (OM and NM) They just keep rolling along, improving with age...(Like me! :lol: )
Yeah, I kinda like the look of "experience" on your little hogleg Trouble, I wouldn't change the finish if it was mine.... :wink:

(BTW, that WMR cyl looks too "new", how about a pic with the LR cyl... :) )

flatheadsal

Single-Sixer
that gun SO belongs together with my new fishing boat Blackhawk, very nice score, love those guns with character, flathead
pix638039033.jpg

trouble

Single-Sixer
Yep they have the same grey finish don't they, I'll get another pic with the LR cylinder tomorrow when the light is good. It looks rough we really had to work on it.