Let's talk magnum revolvers?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Its getting to the point I dread answering phone when that number is on Caller I D. So far, a 1957 RST4, 1959 "H" Alpha Cat, 1975 Old Army and now this 1976 Super has left store in my protective arms. Not to mention 10/22's and AR 556. I think I have a weakness.

bogus bill

Hunter
For me, I have found over the years I have made a round circuit with oversize grips, long barrels, adjustable sights, mags, back to service grips, short barrels and standard calibers. Of course I have many holdovers, but over time I found I now like simpler and lighter and more handy to pack.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
After a lifetime of messing around with every caliber I could find, I don't really understand the post.

I think it is about magnums. I just don't know what a magnum is anymore.

I have discovered, like all handloaders, that I can pretty much make any caliber into a mouse fart or a fire breathing dragon. Once I realized this, I began to center more on the revolver at hand, than the caliber it had.

The 38 special and the 357 magnum is a great example. 38 at 650fps - 1100fps and the 357 from 700fps - 1400fps. The overlap between the two is where the exact same bullet going the exact same velocity is indistinguishable between the two calibers. Some of those 38 special +P sound like magnums to me.

When I was younger, I swore I would never get into 44 magnum. It was just too much for me and for almost everyone I knew. The proof is in how many mint, 99%, NIB 44 mags there are for sale. Most guys buy them, shoot them once, and then into the vault. I now love my 44's because I can make them dance the way I like with my reloads. I'm glad I didn't let that 44 magnum scare me off some great guns.

Prescut

GunBugBit

Bearcat
While some of you were gathering revolvers, I was accumulating 1911s (I compete with them), Glocks, ARs (building them from 80% lowers, so fun), AKs, one lonely Browning Hi-Power, a pump 12ga, and assorted non-Glock striker-fired pistols. I'm sure some of you have availed yourselves of these in addition to building your revolver collections.

Now I have the revolver bug and need to get busy. So far I have only one, an SP101. My second revolver will probably be a Redhawk in 44 magnum. I won't be surprised if I end up with a 41 magnum, a 480 Ruger and who knows what else before it's all said and done.

rangerbob

Buckeye
GunBugBit, you are definitely headed in the right direction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bob :mrgreen:

Beauetienne

Single-Sixer
Magnum love is a rewarding thing, but I do not have any magnums of the same manufacturer and model.
Rugers and S&W's , but all different models.

smith1961

Blackhawk
I have a humble .41 mag collection (so far). A Smith M-58 nickel, NIB, unfired, a 1987 NIB& Carton BH Bisley 7.5" fluted, and a Williams Flattop 4 & 5/8ths ANIB.........

Working on a M-57 and started the campaign on this forum for a .41 magnum Vaquero.
:wink:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
smith1961 said:
I have a humble .41 mag collection (so far). A Smith M-58 nickel, NIB, unfired, a 1987 NIB& Carton BH Bisley 7.5" fluted, and a Williams Flattop 4 & 5/8ths ANIB.........

Working on a M-57 and started the campaign on this forum for a .41 magnum Vaquero.
:wink:
I would have a .41 V for sure!

Prescut

Single-Sixer
gunbugbit,

I am a revolver guy. I have lots of everything that spins.

That being said, the Ruger SP101 is perhaps my least favorite. I have a bad prejudice, I hate poor factory triggers.

If you like that wheelgun, you gotta try some used vintage hawglegs.

Ruger security sixes, SBH 357 Maximum,
S&W 13, 14, 15, 19, 25, 27, 28, 29, 586, ...
Colt 3 5 7, trooper, diamondback, python, cobra, SAA, New Frontier

The 357 Maximum and the Diamondback 38 special are my two favorites.

You will love any of those listed. Find good examples and enjoy the hunt.
You get what you pay for.

Prescut
You seem like a discerning kind of shooter, instead of the vanilla Redhawk, you should look for a United Sporting Arms Abilene, Seville, or EL Dorado. These are some of the very best SAA's you'll ever see. Prices can still be reasonable because no one knows about them except maybe older silhouette shooters. These are magnum shooters used by custom builders on big-bores.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
My favorite is my Ruger Blackhawk, 41 mag, Sack Peterson stags, Bowen rear sight. I fit a Hunter Super Bhk grip frame, trigger smoothed to 4 lbs, dual feed pawl and a Super Bhk hammer.
My load: 215 gr(SnS) LSWC, 9.0 grs Unique, Win Std primer.
Sorry can't post any pics, weird website.

Cal44

Bearcat
To me, the most interesting magnum is 32 Federal Magnum.

It's the most recent "real" magnum around.

And because the longer cartridge won't fit in older 32 Caliber revolvers, Federal and Ruger were able to standardize on much higher pressure than the 357, 41, or 44 mags.

45,000 PSI vs. 35,000 for 357 Magnum, 36,000 for 44 Magnum and 41 Magnum.

There are no older 327 Federal guns out there to worry about.

The 32 H&R magnum, introduced earlier, isn't a real magnum due to having to content with guns having early, weak actions.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Cal44 said:
The 32 H&R magnum, introduced earlier, isn't a real magnum due to having to content with guns having early, weak actions.
It's worse than that. The .32 H&R was specifically introduced along with the relatively weak H&R revolvers so it was handicapped right from the start.

Currently my favorite magnum is the .22 mag. But that's only because it's about the heaviest recoiling firearm I can handle right now.

Seriously, I really enjoy taking jackrabbits with the .22 mag. It does anchor them better than the .22 lr. Too bad Ruger never saw fit to make the semi-auto MK's in .22 mag. I know it would require extensive reworking, but what fun it would be.

olskool

Bearcat
AECa3by.jpg
i kind of like my 1973 3 screw SBH

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I'm a magnum revolver addict, and a resident chapter president of the 44-o-phile club near me.

But other than a few nook and cranny items here or there, I'm not a collector, I'm an accumulator. So I don't really go after sets. I had more than 25 pairs at one point of the 32 H&R Single Six's in every flavor they made in the early 2000's, but I have already sold them off (got no less than 3x my money on any one of them). I have a set of all 3 Alaskans, but I'm missing the 5 Shot version. I have a bunch of "magnum" revolvers though, 17HMR, 22WMR, 256, 32, 327, 357, 357/44, 41, 44, 454, 480 (is that a magnum?), 475, 460, & 500, and have owned a few others like 357max, 22 Jet, 445 SM. Really digging on a 255 Banshee and a 429GNR for future projects.