Lets see some Color Case Hardened firearms!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zeus:
<B>
103_13901.jpg

Wow, that is a fine bunch of guns Bob, but the one that I copied is just too fine. What are the details on this one. It looks a lot like what I'm planning for a 44 special. Pretty much just the same. Who did the grips, they really top it off. Thanks. GS

[This message has been edited by Zeus (edited 06-13-2007).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, Sir, is my very first Ruger, a 1958 vintage .357 Magnum Blackhawk. The grip frame is steel, bought in the white from Brownells, for an Old Army. The trigger is a wide smooth trigger made by Dave Clements. Dave re-set the barrel after it loosened in the frame and re-finished the blued parts, after the case coloring by Doug Turnbull.

The grips are by, who else?, CaryC, and are mesquite. I believe they are the first pair of mesquite CaryC made, as we had a hard time finding a source of the wood for grips.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
And, further, a .44 Special will probably entail the use of a taller front sight. The bottom gun in the top photo is a .44 Special conversion by Dave Clements.

The .44 Special has a much lower muzzle velocity than the .357 and does necessitate a taller front blade. The olny way around this is to use a light bullet such as the 180 gr, Sierra JHP and zip up the velocity some, which can be safely done in the .44 Special.

Bob Wright

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Man I really like em all. What a wonderfull bunch of guns you guys have.

I really like CraigC,s Bisley. I do like the bisleys and that one is really nice with the cch.

I have the itch to get one of mine refinished in CCH.

Thanks eveyone for the great pic's.

Greebe

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Joe Miller,

I have a Win 94 Trapper in .45 Colt and I like it allright, but I wish that I had one of the Marlin's instead, especially like the one you have there.

Greebe

Zeus

Blackhawk
Well of course, cost varies by the options that you choose to do with the conversion. But I think David charges $450 for the standard conversion utilizing the original barrel and having it rebored. The CCH of the frame, hammer, etc usually adds approx. $225. Now, for $850, you can get the accurized conversion where the gun is tightened up and a new barrel is built for the gun. That price does not include CCH of course.

Now, John Gallagher of Jasper, AL, does the same type of conversion but for $450, he goes ahead and builds a new barrel out of a douglas blank and tightens the gun up for you. He told me its just easier for him to go ahead and build a new barrel as it is to have to have one rebored and have to mess with the shipping and everything else. His number is 205-388-0174 at the new location.

CraigC

Hawkeye
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greebe:
What is the cost of having this done on a blackhawk?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually about $200-$250 and usually combined with other work.

Zeus

Blackhawk
Sorry, I misunderstood the question, I thought we were talking about the conversions, sometimes I'm an idiot that can't read...GS

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
Boxhead, I love that fixed-sight gun done like an RSS!!! Sent an email looking for particulars...

cas, about the time I finally decided I had to have one of those SA M6 rifles, SA quit importing them and they dried up or got real 'spensive. nuts.