Let's hear about SR40s!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Very little talk about the SR40 lately, good bad or ugly.

No reports of them battering apart or light strikes or anything! Did Ruger get this one right out of the gate????

Let's hear it you SR40 owners :wink:

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
Love mine. Reliable so far. Very accurate right out of the box. Very manageable recoil. I think an overall winner so far for Ruger! JMO.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I don't have one...just going off of other's comments. Seems like a stable platform out of the chute for this one. Perhaps the "glitches" they had with the SR9 were lessons learned and included in the SR40 prior to release?

A

Anonymous

After handling an SR40 at my local dealer, I had decided to make it my next carry pistol, however I wanted it with a black slide. Davidson's had the SR40 with a black slide listed, but none were available, so I signed-up to be alerted by e-mail when they were in-stock. This was 9 days ago. Although Ruger did not list the SR40 on their web site as being made with a black slide (and they still do not), I sent an e-mail to Ruger asking if/when the SR40 with a black slide would be available, and I received the following reply:

"I am not aware of any plans at this time for any new products / black slides."

Much to my surprise, today I received an e-mail from Davidson's that the SR40 with "blackened alloy" slide is in-stock. I called Ruger and the person I spoke with was unaware that the SR40 was even being made with a black slide, much less that their distributor had it in-stock. I called Davidson's and confirmed that yes, they have the SR40 with black slide in-stock http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=3471

boomer1

Single-Sixer
LensWork said:
After handling an SR40 at my local dealer, I had decided to make it my next carry pistol, however I wanted it with a black slide. Davidson's had the SR40 with a black slide listed, but none were available, so I signed-up to be alerted by e-mail when they were in-stock. This was 9 days ago. Although Ruger did not list the SR40 on their web site as being made with a black slide (and they still do not), I sent an e-mail to Ruger asking if/when the SR40 with a black slide would be available, and I received the following reply:

Much to my surprise, today I received an e-mail from Davidson's that the SR40 with "blackened alloy" slide is in-stock. I called Ruger and the person I spoke with was unaware that the SR40 was even being made with a black slide, much less that their distributor had it in-stock. I called Davidson's and confirmed that yes, they have the SR40 with black slide in-stock http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=3471

Hey LensWork,

Welcome to the forum!

First, let me say that I think that you have set your sights on the newest home run from Ruger, the SR40. Mine is a brushed stainless model, and it is great.

Second, since the model is new, there still may be some "hiccups" with the pistol. Though, I haven't noted any with mine. However, I did do a field strip/clean/lube before its first trip to the range. There have been some reports/reviews talking about a "grittiness" in the trigger. I have not noticed that with my SR40.

Third, I would like to see the black slide model. Ruger doesn't yet list it on their website. The link you gave doesn't show a picture of the pistol.

Good luck, I would like to see it before I bought it.

boomer
8)

Verndog

Blackhawk
LensWork said:
...I sent an e-mail to Ruger asking if/when the SR40 with a black slide would be available, and I received the following reply:

Sadly Rugers customer service reps have been proven to be ill informed. In your case the statement "I am not aware" only goes to show they didn't want to be bothered to look into it, as they clearly didn't. On the plus side, you didn't take no for an answer and may be one of the first sporting the new black SR40....congrats and welcome.

ArmedinAZ said:
Very little talk about the SR40 lately, good bad or ugly.

I'll go with the ugly.....Blondie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tuco01df0.jpg

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
have one. love it. no grittiness on the stock trigger.

put in a ghost trigger... lightened it up, but i found the grittiness. It seems it's on the striker-sear. a quick polish and silky smooth again. now it's smooth AND light. :D

Anyways, very accurate, very high quality for the price. Haven't had a single ftf, extractor problem, light strike, anything.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
I had my SR40 out once so far. after shooting 108 rounds through it I noticed that the cam-lock pin (lower) key number 52 in the manual had worked its way out approx .200". I pushed the pin back in with my finger till I felt the spring retention engage. I hope the problem was because Ruger didn't properly install it from the factory.

michael hacker

Bearcat
Yes, never trust the customer rep when calling Ruger, they often don't have the latest information on new products. It's a shame, they should. But indeed, Davidson's does indicate a "blued" version of the SR40. Sounds like it won't be the Nitrodox finish, (my fave) but blue is nice, beats the stainless version, slide serations are hand cutters on the pure stainless.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

michael hacker

Bearcat
Yes, never trust the customer rep when calling Ruger, they often don't have the latest information on new products. It's a shame, they should. But indeed, Davidson's does indicate a "blued" version of the SR40. Sounds like it won't be the Nitrodox finish, (my fave) but blue is nice, beats the stainless version, slide serations are hand cutters on the pure stainless.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

michael hacker

Bearcat

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I was going to post a new question about SR40 love but looked back and found this.

It is quite interesting that there are not as high number of posts about the 40.. :?: :?: :shock:

I just put another 50 rounds through mine and I have a very boring gun I guess.. NO PROBLEMS, bullets hit where I aim and the recoil is quite fair...

Why so little love for the SR40???? :oops:

Lateck,

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:
I was going to post a new question about SR40 love but looked back and found this.

It is quite interesting that there are not as high number of posts about the 40.. :?: :?: :shock:

I just put another 50 rounds through mine and I have a very boring gun I guess.. NO PROBLEMS, bullets hit where I aim and the recoil is quite fair...

Lateck,

Hey Lateck,

I don't think that it is a matter of little love for the SR40. In my own case, it is a case of quiet admiration. Admiration for the fine pistol that Ruger has produced. My SR40 is one of my favorite pistols. It just works.

boomer 8)

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
Lateck said:

Lateck,

I'd have to agree with boomer1. It's not that we don't all love them, it's just that we don't have to defend them because they do just work. Great.

Just like you said, no problems, bullet goes where the bullet should, next shot goes to the same place without too much convincing.

No problems = no haters. No haters = no fanboys. No fanboys = quiet forums.

noquarter

Single-Sixer
I love my SR40 - @ 300 rnds with no problems. It's more accurate than I am. Recoil is like the P345 but you can feel the difference in the center line of the bore in the way it rolls (a more direct push back than the 345). My only complaint is that I want an SR45 to go with it.