Lee turret press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Should I buy one? Am loading on a Lee Classic press now. Does okay. But the idea of having a rack of dies already adjusted for each caliber does appeal to me. I neck size only on most rifle loading and load 3 pistol calibers. Are there any problems with the Lee turret press? Does it hold and position the dies well or will i like the solid feel of the single stage better? Not interested in a more expensive turret press. I like the Lee because of the cheap turrets. I also like the fact that it looks like the bolt pattern is the same as for the classic so I will not have to redial my bench. So does the turret press work well or not?

Not sure about the LEE, but I use an RCBS turret press. I really like the style of a turret press. I have 3 turret heads and changing from one to another is very simple. For me, turret presses are faster single stage, but not progressive, which I can appreciate but just do not need. Well I can't justify the expense for one I should say.

Buy it. Why not? If you don't like it, you can sell it I'm sure. True you might lose a little bit of money, but not that much in the long run...

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I have 2 Lee Classic Turrets and really like them. No, the bolt hole spread is a bit bigger on the Classic Turret than the Cast. Also, look into the reverse case kicker offered by Inline Fabrication.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have loaded on an LCT for several years. I really love it. There is more to it than just having the dies readily adjusted. If you load in continuous mode, you only have to touch the case once. No putting it in the press, and then taking it back out for each and every operation. I would not want to back up to a single stage.

The only issue I have with mine, is when using the on press primer, the adjustment is a little finicky. If out of adjustment, the primer sometimes hangs up on the bottom of the shell holder. I ended up just gluing a little sliver of wood on the pivot point, and haven't had to readjust it in years.

FWIW, I load 30-06 on mine, full length sizing. No problems.

At around $100 these presses are an enormous bargain IMO. Order a couple extra of the little square ratchets when you get the press. This is a little plastic piece in the auto index mechanism. It acts like a fuse to keep from damaging other parts if you force something in the indexing mech. They are $.50 a piece, so you can afford to have a small handfull on hand. I went through two the first year or so I had the press. I haven't had to replace the last one in years. I know what I can, and shouldn't do when backing up the turret these days.

Some complain about this little part, as a sign of a cheaply made press. I look on it as cheap insurance. Heck even a Maserati has fuses.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
onehandgunner said:
I have 2 Lee Classic Turrets and really like them. No, the bolt hole spread is a bit bigger on the Classic Turret than the Cast. Also, look into the reverse case kicker offered by Inline Fabrication.

I bought the Lee Classic turret press in a kit last year when I saw it on sale at Amazon. So far, I have been extremely satisfied with it. It's fast, but still always turns out high quality rounds.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Sorry, I meant to address two of the issues you brought up, but was having internet connection problems.

Anyway, I have never had an issue with the dies loosing adjustment. Well, I have had that issue with the powder cop die I have with the lock ring. If I were to go and look up the right sized wrench and tighten it down with a wrench, it would likely hold. Even hard finger tight, it loosens on occasion. The Lee dies with the O-ring stay put finger tightened.

As to solid feel, I like the feel of mine. Yes, the turret lifts slightly when the case is pressed into the die. It is not really noticeable by feel, and it lifts the same amount each time, so it is a non issue. I get OALs right on the money every time, and flaring is consistent.

To get the full benefit of a turret you will need to prime on press and drop powder during expansion. If you don't have a press activated powder measure, I suggest you get one. It is a real time saver. I have the Lee auto drum. Much better than the Auto disc IMO. I load primers into the primer cup by hand. I use a saucer shaped wooden bowl I turned to make picking one primer at a time easier. It is still much faster than the extra steps involved in off press priming. The Safety Prime gets mixed reviews, so I just load them by hand.

Having said all this, if you want to either drop powder, or prime off press, you can. You will still save time, just not as much. In fact, you can disable the auto index in seconds, and use the press like a single stage, if you want. I do this for 30-06.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
I have the breech lock and the 4 hole turret. I like both, I load my 300 savage and 30-30 rounds on my breech lock and crank out 380-38-357 and 44's on the lee turret. I went with the 4 hole turret because the throw is shorter for hand gun ammo (didn't feel the need to crank out a bunch of rifle ammo as I shoot my handguns a ton more).
so for the rifle dies I have them in the breech cups and once set I have had no problems at all. it is convenient to just give it a 1/4 turn and pull them out. now the turret I have plates set up for every caliber and each has a pro auto disc powder measurer mounted. I use 2400 in my 357 and 44 / unique in my 38's and power pistol in my wife's 380. its nice because I don't have to worry about cross contaminating the powders as they each have a dedicated hopper. i use the on press safety primer and have no problems with it.
As for accuracy on the turret press its great, I routinely shoot my 44 out to 100 yards and I have shot great groups with my hand loads. me personally I wanted a faster process to load my hand gun ammo but didn't want to go to a progressive press so I could watch and have control on my steps.
if you go with a turret I recommend baffle's for the hoppers as well as wrapping them with a dryer sheet for static. installing a light to shine down into the case like a book light, google lee turret press mods and you will find a bunch of stuff...

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Lee turret presses are great. I used one for over 15 years, then switched to a Lee LoadMaster, then 2 Lee LoadMasters, one for large primer and one for small.

Inline fabrication makes a great holder for your turrets. I got 2 of them and attach them to a wall. Then my turrets with dies and powder measures sit in these holders until I need them.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lee/products/toolhead-storage-rack-for-the-lee-pro-1000

Latest posts