lee press

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HW11

Single-Sixer
I have an older Lee press that I only used to load .223. Today the link that the arm used to work the press broke. It looks like it was some kind of cast aluminum. The press is a single stage and I think it is a Challenger. The link on the Lee site does not look like the one I have and the handle attaches in a different way. I'm thinking it may have been upgraded at some point, which is good because I always thought it looked weak. Anybody have any idea on the parts to fix it? I can't be the only person to break one.

6gun

Hunter
Personally I think you would money ahead tossing that press and buy a Lyman or RCBS press they don't break even if you find parts for the Lee it will end up breaking again it's junk.

XP100

Blackhawk
Lee makes a cast iron press now. I have several customers that have used Lee cast aluminum presses for years with no problems. They are not junk they just are not steel.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

HW11, Lee offers all the parts to upgrade to the new linkage. Here's the parts list: http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/0/challenger-press-toggles I'd suggest going to Titan Reloading for them. Dennis and the guys there are good folks! http://www.titanreloading.com/

Lee says $15.50 plus s/h, but the date on that article is 2011, so it'll be a little more by now. If memory serves, it ran about $20 plus s/h when I installed the new steel linkage on my Challenger not long ago in place of the original aluminum toggle, and it really works nicely. I bought my Challenger just to satisfy my curiosity after reading one too many bits of "sage advice" about how all Lee stuff is junk. They tell me I'm a lot like my grandfather, who was from Missouri: "Show me!" It's a waste of time to call BS on all such comments, but that's what too many of 'em are. Mine now has over 14,000 rounds loaded, and it's as tight as when I started, with untold more to go. And even IF it does just self-destruct one of these days, no worries. There's an almost brand new RCBS Rock Chucker in the closet, along with a few other makes and models. Just in case. For some reason, they've got a LOT of dust on 'em, too. :lol:

Rick C

Jim Puke

Hunter
HW11, I would probably take Rick's advice and upgrade the press.

I acquired a brand new in the box Lee Classic Cast single stage in a trade several years ago and decided since I had it to give it a try...liked it well enough that I sold the Rockchucker that was on my bench and have never looked back. People can use what they prefer, but I would never go back to the Rockchucker as long as I could have the Classic Cast.JMO

With that said, I have no use for a Lee Turret or either of their progressives...tried them and sent them down the road...my blood runs BLUE for my other presses.

I use LEE equipment extensively. The "upgrade" will fix your LEE's problem area for the rest of it's life. The key to LEE press longevity is occasional lubing of the pivots and moving parts.

HW11

Single-Sixer
Thanks, I'll get the parts to fix it. I have used it for 20 years or more with no problem. Probably the reason I have not broken it before is I only use it for 223 which is only neck sizing and bullet seating. I never thought it looked like it could stand much pressure. All my other loading is done on a RCBS.

6gun

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

HW11, Lee offers all the parts to upgrade to the new linkage. Here's the parts list: http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/249/0/challenger-press-toggles I'd suggest going to Titan Reloading for them. Dennis and the guys there are good folks! http://www.titanreloading.com/

Lee says $15.50 plus s/h, but the date on that article is 2011, so it'll be a little more by now. If memory serves, it ran about $20 plus s/h when I installed the new steel linkage on my Challenger not long ago in place of the original aluminum toggle, and it really works nicely. I bought my Challenger just to satisfy my curiosity after reading one too many bits of "sage advice" about how all Lee stuff is junk. They tell me I'm a lot like my grandfather, who was from Missouri: "Show me!" It's a waste of time to call BS on all such comments, but that's what too many of 'em are. Mine now has over 14,000 rounds loaded, and it's as tight as when I started, with untold more to go. And even IF it does just self-destruct one of these days, no worries. There's an almost brand new RCBS Rock Chucker in the closet, along with a few other makes and models. Just in case. For some reason, they've got a LOT of dust on 'em, too. :lol:

Rick C

I have to call BS on this sage comment no sane person would toss a almost new RCBS rock chucker in the closet in over preference for a poorly made old out of date Lee press, yup those 3 or 4 Redding presses and all 6 Dillon press's dusty and rusting away in your closet cause they just don't measure up to the standard of your great Lee :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the good laugh this morning that was a very funny story.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
And I'll go BS on the BS that Lee stuff is "junk"...I have zero complaints on any Lee product around my bench and there are plenty of them... :roll:

"It's a poor workman who complains of his tools"...

6gun

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
And I'll go BS on the BS that Lee stuff is "junk"...I have zero complaints on any Lee product around my bench and there are plenty of them... :roll:

"It's a poor workman who complains of his tools"...

So stop complaining about the broken press. :lol:

6gun

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
My 50+ year old Pacific Jr press ain't broke... :wink:

Pacific presses were well made to last for ever, didn't Pacific end up becoming Horandy ?

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:

Hi,

Bucks, is this the press you have? http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/Pacific%20Power%20C.htm Or maybe one of the several versions they built in that "family"?

There's a very lightly used one of those in the closet here. It's labeled Pacific-Hornady, which I think means about mid-'80s vintage. It would take some hard work to break it. And given the regular wipe down and spot of oil routine I try to give ALL my presses, I'm sure it's got at least 50 more years of use in it!

Rick C

6gun

Hunter
I thought Pacific didn't start turning into Horandy till the early to mid 90's? :?

jsh

Single-Sixer
Can't believe I am even commenting on this. I knocked lee stuff for a long time. I still don't care for their steel dies. When I run a piece of lubed, virgin brass in one and it comes out like you picked it up in the parking lot.....
Honestly they have gotten a lot of folks into reloading. With the statement I will say I know several that only use factory ammo for their small amount of shooting because of their bad experience. Others have moved on up the lee line or switched to other manufacturers.
They evidently are doing something right? They have been in business for a long time. Some of the top lines of years past are no more.
Just saying.
And to the OP, hey your happy fix it and go on. Or buy a brand new of the same. The old one owes you nothing for what you paid for it back then.
Jeff

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
6gun said:
I thought Pacific didn't start turning into Horandy till the early to mid 90's? :?

Hi,

Dunno who Horandy is, though I've heard dey's some hos what's randy... :oops:

Hornady, OTOH, bought Pacific in 1971 per their company history page:

"In 1971, Hornady acquired Pacific Tool Company and diversified into the reloading tool market. The Pacific operations were moved from Lincoln, Nebraska to the newly built reloading tool facility of the Hornady manufacturing plant in 1972. Under Hornady leadership, the Pacific product line was reinvigorated, and introduced the Model 105 shotshell press. The addition of Pacific Tool Company and its existing products, as well as new product development fueled the company's growth."

http://www.hornady.com/about-us/history

Rick C

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Bucks Owin said:

Hi,

Bucks, is this the press you have? http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/Pacific%20Power%20C.htm Or maybe one of the several versions they built in that "family"?

Rick C

Rick, mine is not as beefy as that. Believe it's called the "junior" model. I expect my dad bought it in the mid 50's. You can get a look at it on page one of the "Let's see pics of your reloading room" thread...

BTW, I had the ram machined to accept RCBS type shellholders back in the 70's. Originally, you had to swap out the ram itself for various cartridges. Kind of a pain in the buttocks! The super cool sardine can primer catcher is my own design... :lol:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Rick, mine is not as beefy as that. Believe it's called the "junior" model. I expect my dad bought it in the mid 50's. You can get a look at it on page one of the "Let's see pics of your reloading room" thread...

Hi,

Thanks, Bucks. Looks like the main frame is the same as the Power C--pretty massive for a "C" press--while the linkage is a bit different. Your linkage looks very similar to my old RCBS Jr or an old Texan that lives here. The Power C adds a cast "toggle" for lack of a better word, and may have a slightly longer handle. If you ever wear yours out, you know where there's a spare!

Rick C

modrifle3

Buckeye
I have a Pacific press and a couple Lee's, as well as a Dillon.

The pacific is super heavy, but has a built in over cam I don't care for. I have a very light weight Lee I use for decapping military brass, a Lee Classic Turret and a 550 I use for mid to high volume.

Upgrading or repairing is simply a financial matter. If you have the money and want to upgrade then do so, but the Lee makes ammo the same way. $20 for repair parts or $200 plus for some of the recommended upgrades is a big decision.

For any upgrade I would go straight to Dillon unless you are low volume or precision loading. I like the Lee turret for mid level volume, but its not a precision press, too much tool head movement. Great for plinking ammo. High end single stage or a high end turret such as Redding, Lyman or RCBS does very well when tight tolerances count. However, turrets are very expensive and not quickly changed.

Key advantage to the new Lee classic press is the cast iron, larger ram and breech lock so you can set your dies up and quickly switch. And at only $112 plus shipping its a steal.

modrifle3

Buckeye
modrifle3 said:
I have a Pacific press and a couple Lee's, as well as a Dillon.

The pacific is super heavy, but has a built in over cam I don't care for. I have a very light weight Lee I use for decapping military brass, a Lee Classic Turret and a 550 I use for mid to high volume.

Upgrading or repairing is simply a financial matter. If you have the money and want to upgrade then do so, but the Lee makes ammo the same way. $20 for repair parts or $200 plus for some of the recommended upgrades is a big decision.

For any upgrade I would go straight to Dillon unless you are low volume or precision loading. I like the Lee turret for mid level volume, but its not a precision press, too much tool head movement. Great for plinking ammo. High end single stage or a high end turret such as Redding, Lyman or RCBS does very well when tight tolerances count. However, turrets are very expensive and not quickly changed.

Key advantage to the new Lee classic press is the cast iron, larger ram and breech lock so you can set your dies up and quickly switch. And at only $112 plus shipping its a steal.

I correct myself, the classic cast press does not use breechlock, it has the large to small die adapter. Still very nice though.

Latest posts