Lee Factory Crimp Die

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dumbear

Bearcat
I'm loading 45ACP with 230gr CB, using a Lee Factory Crimp Die and a light crimp. I've read that this crimp die is not recommended as it swages bullet down. Should I be using the crimp feature of my RCBS seater die.

Cholo

Staff member
The RCBS seater die should have a taper crimp in it. Taper crimp the case mouth to .470". I wouldn't use the Lee die.

Most crimp dies will definitely "smush" soft lead or plated bullets if over applied. The LEE "factory profile die" will remove a considerable amount of bullet base induced case swelling so I assume that bullet base gets squished.
It may be and "either/or" situation: you decide which is more important, accuracy or function.

mikld

Blackhawk
The Lee FCD for handgun rounds (aka "Carbide FCD") is a "post crimping sizing die". It has a carbide ring that will size any bulges out of the cartridge as a last step, even "good" bulges as slightly oversize cast bullets. I do not/will not use them as I don't want to hide a mistake, but rather find out why is is happening and fix the problem. I have tried an FCD out of curiosity, but it now resided in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon. I have reloaded revolver rounds since '69 and consistently loaded semi-auto rounds since 1990. If I had chambering problem, I found out why and fixed the problem. Once I determine OAL and "crimp" and test with the plunk test, 99.9% of my handloads chamber properly.

For quite a while I have just purchased another crimp die (whether it's a taper crimp, roll crimp, Profile Crimp or collet crimp) and separate the seating and crimping steps so another die works quite well for me (no readjusting a seat/crimp die, no fine tuning an adjustment to get the right crimp and bullet depth, adjusting the die is done once, and I feel I have more control)...

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

There's a problem with a lot of Lee products, and that is they come with instructions. Shall I stop there, cuz you know where I'm going, or just jump in and remember Flatgate's famous advice about such stuff: RTFM!

I've used the Lee Factory Crimp dies for quite a while, maybe since they first came out. They're not magic, but when set up originally as those pesky instructions describe, it takes very little, if any, additional "tuning" to get where I want. My failure rate with it has been zero, but it was pretty close to that anyway. As mikld already suggested, get the rest of your process sorted out first, before looking for a magic pill to fix poor prep work.

That said, I like the FCD, and recommend folks give it a try. If you like it, too, wonderful. If you don't like it, sell it, give it away, use it to help fill your landfill or provide a tiny reef for the mosquito fish in your backyard pond. ;)

Rick C

loaded round

Hunter
Not necessary with a good quality three die pistol set. All quality pistol dies have a build in crimping shoulder in their seating dies. Read the accompanying instructions, or check out online how to set this seating/crimping die.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I just use a separate RCBS taper crimp die and separate the crimping step from the seating step. Saves me the need to keep adjusting the seating die.... I do this for my .45ACP and 9mm cases (cause they headspace on their necks).
J.

"I do not/will not use them as I don't want to hide a mistake, but rather find out why is is happening and fix the problem."

OK, I don't have an issue with YOUR choice. Let's say the LEE factory profile die is a "crutch" and as such, it does have a place in the reloading world.
Take this instance: I recently got into a pickle while attempting to produce some expanding sub-sonic 9mm ammo. The older brass I had on hand didn't have the right interior dimensions to accommodate the long 147 grain HP I was using resulting in a significant and unacceptable bulge. The LEE die solved this problem in a single step at much less expense than buying more brass gambling on some of it producing a usable loading.

mikld

Blackhawk
Mobuck said:
"I do not/will not use them as I don't want to hide a mistake, but rather find out why is is happening and fix the problem."

OK, I don't have an issue with YOUR choice. Let's say the LEE factory profile die is a "crutch" and as such, it does have a place in the reloading world.
Take this instance: I recently got into a pickle while attempting to produce some expanding sub-sonic 9mm ammo. The older brass I had on hand didn't have the right interior dimensions to accommodate the long 147 grain HP I was using resulting in a significant and unacceptable bulge. The LEE die solved this problem in a single step at much less expense than buying more brass gambling on some of it producing a usable loading.
I don't think the problem was "solved" as the rounds were just altered to fit. No fix took place just a band aid alteration to a bad round, still a bad round (did you pull and of the "fixed" rounds to see how much the FCD swaged the bullets down?). But you're right; it's all personal choice...

Dumbear

Bearcat
Thanks to all of you folks for your reply's. I'm going to buy either a Lee or RCBS Taper Crimp die. Anyone have experience with either of these dies.

Johnnu2

Hunter
dumbear, I have used my RCBS taper crimp dies for decades without a problem.... I've found that every time I've tried another brand of reloading dies, I've had some type of problem. In my personal experience, Lee has been the worst; I have to admit that I haven't 'strayed' from RCBS in many years so perhaps the quality of others has gone up. I'd highly recommend an RCBS taper crimp die.
IMHO as always..........
J.

When I started reloading forty years ago, most of the dies I bought were Lyman carbides. I essentially reload only handgun ammo.

After full-length resizing, I only flare the case mouths just enough to work with the bullets in question . . . FMJ for pistol, lead for revolver.

After charging, I seat all the bullets as required, then adjust the seat/crimp die for the appropriate crimp . . . just enough to positively remove any case mouth flare (plus a teeny bit more) on pistol rounds, no real "crimp", and a nice roll-crimp on the lead bullets into the crimp grooves.

No feed/function problems. I've read about the various special seat/crimp dies and procedures, but as long as my ancient process works for me I'll just keep on keepin' on. I rarely reload more than 100 rounds at a time, and I have lots of time. YMMV :mrgreen:

rangerbob

Buckeye
Since I load all of my pistol ammo on a Dillon 550, I use a separate crimp die in the final station. For 45 ACP, a taper crimp die is appropriate. I back my seating die out so that it will not crimp, just seat the bullet. When using the taper crimp die, one can fine tune the amount of crimp depending on the bullet or cases. A taper crimp die is appropriate on most auto rounds that headspace on the case mouth such as the 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm, etc. I use the Lee FCD on the 357 Sig since it has very little neck to hold the bullet tightly. Revolver rounds, such as the 38 Special, 357, 41, 44 Special &mag, and the 45 Colt are best served with a roll crimp die or even a FCD such as the one I use on the 41 Special. I've been reloading since 1967 and have used Redding, Lyman, C&H, Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Lee, and even Herters equipment to my satisfaction. I'm currently using not one but two Lee APP presses for resizing and decapping lots of handgun brass and have loaded nearly 15,000 rounds of ammo since the pandemic started. I would suggest that one stock up on components if they can. Bob!!! :wink:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Johnnu2 said:
dumbear, I have used my RCBS taper crimp dies for decades without a problem.... I've found that every time I've tried another brand of reloading dies, I've had some type of problem. In my personal experience, Lee has been the worst; I have to admit that I haven't 'strayed' from RCBS in many years so perhaps the quality of others has gone up. I'd highly recommend an RCBS taper crimp die.
IMHO as always..........
J.

And I have had just the opposite experience. I've used mostly Lee dies, and never had a problem. I bought one set of RCBS dies, and couldn't get a proper crimp. Called RCBS and they led me through the same procedure in the instructions. The one I had already gone through numerous times. He also had me measure a couple things, again, I had already done this. He said I could mail them to RCBS and they would look at them. He didn't seem too eager to really solve my problem. I decided it would be cheaper to just replace the crimp die with a Lee die, than pay for shipping back to RCBS. The Lee die fixed the problem.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I have never used anything but Lee reloading stuff since I started 15 years ago. Never had a need to look at any other brand. I've never had a problem that a little tweak of a die couldn't fix. The last few years I have been running a Lee classic turret with three 4 hole turrets. One setup for 9mm, one for 38 special, and one for 45 ACP. All I have to do is drop in the turret and pour powder in the measure and start loading. A lot of the time the final loaded round never touches anything in the factory crimp die. I drop the loaded round in a loaded case gauge and then drop it into a bin or box. I am not a thousand an hour loader and I can inspect each round. Can't get any better than that. I have one pistol with a very short throat that I use the barrel for a gauge when loading for it. What won't fit in it will shoot in the Beretta 92. It eats anything.

Rook

Blackhawk
mikld said:
I do not/will not use them as I don't want to hide a mistake, but rather find out why is is happening and fix the problem.

That's the biggest load of BS I've ever read on a reloading forum.

Yeah you'll find out when you made a mistake only when your rounds won't chamber in your gun. :roll:

32magfan

Blackhawk
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on most of the pistol and revolver cartridges I load. Zero chambering and function problems. If you get there another way, good for you. I"ll keep on this trail.

32Magfan

RGRacing

Bearcat
I find on some rounds like my last batch of 45ACP - the last pass with my Lee FCD is uneventful. The you get that one or two that makes you say Thanks for that.
It is the best at 100% feeding success.