LCR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gramps

Hawkeye
I think they are ugly, but after hiking in the Smokies during the week, the LCR with a 4 inch barrel, and in .357 magnum, and adjustable sights would be the cats meow for me. 8) As I age even the weight of the SP with a 3 inch barrel is objectionable. I almost bought a 3 inch LCR .38 spcl+P for $380.00 new at the Smoky Mountain Knife Works. :shock:
gramps

Jim Puke

Hunter
I almost bought a 3 inch LCR .38 spcl+P for $380.00 new at the Smoky Mountain Knife Works.

I really like that gun...but I won't buy it because I would rather it be in .357.

The lightest.357 revolvers with a longer barrel, are the OM Blackhawk .357, the 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk and the new flattop convertible .357...all on the mid-size frame. Except, of course, the SAA clones...which are even lighter than the mid-frame Ruger's...and they handle much better, to me.

All of those single actions will be lighter than any .357 DA revolver, that I know of.

cas6969

Buckeye
I always hoped Ruger would come out with a Ti/Scandium/Aluminum Blackhawk.

I wouldn't be able to afford one, but that's besides the point. ;)

Terry T

Buckeye
Just to muddy the waters - 7 shot, .357 mag. that weighs only 24 oz. empty. :shock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=547184446

Bit pricy in my opinion but.... 'you (usually) get what you pay for'.

I have a Taurus 5 shot 2" in .45 LC that weighs just 19 oz. Bucks a bit! But.. quite useable.

I believe the titanium guns went by the wayside when the polymer guns stepped up - much less expensive to make. There is some gossip out there that Ruger casting made the titanium frames for Taurus.
Terry T

Three50seven

Buckeye
Jim Luke said:
The lightest.357 revolvers with a longer barrel, are the OM Blackhawk .357, the 50th Anniversary .357 Blackhawk and the new flattop convertible .357...all on the mid-size frame. Except, of course, the SAA clones...which are even lighter than the mid-frame Ruger's...and they handle much better, to me.

All of those single actions will be lighter than any .357 DA revolver, that I know of.

Not sure where you got your info Jim Luke, the following weights are for 4" stainless steel guns, chambered in .357, directly from ruger.com and smith-wesson.com

-SP101: 29.5oz
-GP100: 40oz
-S&W 66: 36.6oz

-.357 Blackhawk: 46oz

As for a 4" .357 LCR, I don't know how well it would sell...to me, a light weight "kit gun" doesn't need that much barrel. But hey, that's just me! I would much rather see the 3" chambered in .22WMR :mrgreen:

Jim Puke

Hunter
Three50seven said:
Jim Luke said:

Not sure where you got your info Jim Luke, the following weights are for 4" stainless steel guns, chambered in .357, directly from ruger.com and smith-wesson.com

As for a 4" .357 LCR, I don't know how well it would sell...to me, a light weight "kit gun" doesn't need that much barrel. But hey, that's just me! I would much rather see the 3" chambered in .22WMR :mrgreen:

Where did you get your info??...old model .357 Blackhawk 45/8 weighs 35oz's(just weighed mine)...and the New Model flattop convertible and the Anniversary model, all on the same frame, weighs the same. I was not talking about the regular catalog New Model Blackhawk convertible.

Need to READ what I posted.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Jim Luke said:
Three50seven said:
Jim Luke said:

Where did you get your info??...old model .357 Blackhawk 45/8 weighed 35oz's(just weighed mine)...and the New Model flattop convertible, on the same frame, weighs the same. I was not talking about the regular catalog New Model Blackhawk convertible.

The NM flat tops are no longer listed, so I can't verify the weight. The New Vaquero, built on the same frame, is listed at 43oz. Regardless, I don't understand why you claim they would be lighter than any DA's that you know of?

Heisenberg

Bearcat
I am holding out in the hopes that Ruger will release a fixed sight 3" LCR, for the durability and lower sights.

I've been going back and forth on my next firearm purchase between a 3" LCRX or a bottom-feeding 45. I think the LCRX scale got tipped a bit more to its favor lately. A 3" revolver is perfect for backpacking, IMO.

gramps said:
I think they are ugly, but after hiking in the Smokies during the week, the LCR with a 4 inch barrel, and in .357 magnum, and adjustable sights would be the cats meow for me. 8) As I age even the weight of the SP with a 3 inch barrel is objectionable. I almost bought a 3 inch LCR .38 spcl+P for $380.00 new at the Smoky Mountain Knife Works. :shock:
gramps

Gramps, if that's the problem you need to address two issues.
1. Better stiff belt
2. Better holster
No reason for a 3" gun to drag you down. You are tougher than that.

I looked at a LCR yesterday in 357 2 in barrel, been pondering that all nite.
I headed back today to grab it NIB 410 Seemed a bit flimsy but I think I
got over that. weight is unbelievably light. Nice pocket revolver.

Serial no. began with K I thought that was reserved for stainless guns? ps

powder smoke said:
I looked at a LCR yesterday in 357 2 in barrel, been pondering that all nite.
I headed back today to grab it NIB 410 Seemed a bit flimsy but I think I
got over that. weight is unbelievably light. Nice pocket revolver.

Serial no. began with K I thought that was reserved for stainless guns? ps

The .357 actually is stainless, my .38 LCR is aluminum and weighs less than the .357 but they have the same matte black hard coating. That's a good description, they feel flimsy but I think that's because they're so light weight.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Gramps get a simply rugged belt 1.75 inch and a pancake holster, you won't know your wearing it, I love mine. And as you know I'm a larger fella than you get another gun anyway.

KRD

Bearcat
I agree with Gramps, even the small stainless revolvers seem to drag after a while. If Ruger comes out with a LCRX3 in .357 I would think that it would weigh close to 20 oz. since the regular LCR in .357 weighs 17.1 oz. That is getting close to what my S&W Model 60 3" in .357 weighs in at 24 oz. I just bought a LCRX3 and at 15.7 oz and I really feel the benefit of the reduced weight. Also use the Simply Rugged holsters for both. For 95% of my needs, a .38 spcl +P loaded to the max with a 158 gr XTP is enough fire power.