LCR/"j" frame comparison?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tguil

Single-Sixer
I'm still considering a light weight "snubbie" to use for concealed carry. I have an S&W Model 36 but it is a bit heavy in the pocket.

The airweight "j" frames have been around forever and the LCR's have been out for over a year. There are lots of scattered posts on both guns. How about a side-by-side comparison by someone who has shot and carried both.

From what I have read it appears the the LCR has a much better trigger and much more durable finish than the hammerless "j" frames.

Tom :cool:

E

Single-Sixer
I had an S&W 442 that I willingly traded away after getting the LCR.

Trigger -- The LCR is much better. Its lighter and smoother; I can get groups with it. With the 442, I could hit the target in lots of different places. The 442 trigger really soured me on an otherwise fabulous snubnose.

Sights -- Standard sights on the LCR are a little more visible. The bigger dot option is even better if you get that model (I didn't because I bought my LCR before the bigger dot was available).

Finish -- I haven't had any issue with either the 442 or LCR. A j-frame in stainless (like a 642) would negate the issue.

Weight -- The LCR is lighter by a couple of ounces -- enough to notice a difference when carrying.

Recoil -- The LCR is noticeably more comfortable to shoot. The Hogue grips make .38 +P loads very manageable. A cylinder of .38 +P in the 442 was enough for me.

Grips -- More options for a j-frame. The stock grip makes front pocket or ankle carry really easy. I got the larger factory grip so I could get all of my fingers on it, and I really liked the grip, but it did limit pocket carry. The LCR has two options. I've only used the standard, but there is a smaller, smoother grip now available.

Pocket carry -- I'd give it to the j-frame with stock grips for pocket carry; it's shorter and smoother in the pocket. The standard LCR grips are a little thicker, longer and "tackier" in a way that makes drawing it from a pants pocket a bit tougher. With the longer grip on the 442, I liked sticking it in a back jeans pocket -- very easy to draw. With the LCR, the grips can hang up because of the Hogue texture -- I stick with IWB.

For pocket carry, I'm not as much a fan of the LCR -- there are lots of other guns that will pocket carry better in my opinion -- but I prefer the LCR so much that I'm willing to go to IWB and dress accordingly.

5of7

Hunter
I have never had a LCR in my hands, so I will take the word of others for the better trigger, although my 442 Smith has a very good double action trigger and is really quite accurate, producing 4" groups at a full 25 yards.

If I were going to start over, I would probably buy the LCR in .357. The steel cylinder frame appeals to me much more than the aluminum frame of the .38 Special LCR and the 442.

These aluminum frames just make me nervous, although given the limited number of shots taken, and the low pressures of the .38 Special cartridge, aluminum is probably fine.

My advice is to buy the LCR in .357 and shoot 125 gr. bullets loaded to about 1000 fps in it. If you are not a handloader, then I would shoot 125 grain .38 Special +P.

ASRuger

Single-Sixer
I'll compare to the S&W M&P340 with Uncle Mikes boot grips. I have the big dot sighted LCR in .38.

Trigger is lighter on the LCR and I can hook my finger around the trigger and pull back. This helps to keep the front sight from jumping to the right when the shot breaks. I can't hook my finger on the J frame b/c my finger hits my thumb and stops before the hammer is released. With the J and boot grips it takes me 3-4 seconds to get a proper trigger break.

Recoil is more comfortable, I can shoot 135gr+P Speer Gold Dots without having to stop. With the 340, hand was stinging after just 2 shots. There's still recoil, it's just not as bad...

Empties drop right out of the LCR when it's clean, but I still give the ejector rod a tap just in case. I have to smack the 340s rod every time.

I have the original grips and the Hogue boot grips. The boot grips vibrate more (plastic grip sides touch the plastic gun frame) and don't cushion as much but they are still more comfortable to shoot than the 340 w/boot grips. They are odd shaped and it feels like the gun is going to squirt up out of your hand but of course it doesn't. I wear 34-36 pants and can pocket carry with the larger grips so I do. The larger LCR grips are more forgiving of less than perfect hand placement compared to the Hogue boot grips on the LCR. The J frame pocket conceals a little easier.

My Safariland speed loaders don't work with the LCR and I am using speed strips.

I prefer the LCR and its shootability over the J frame for me gives me confidence should I need to shoot out past 5 yds.

tguil

Single-Sixer
Thanks much for the comments. I think that the LCR would work for me. I just have to get past the fact that it's half "plastic" and it's not quite as "nice" to look at as a "j" frame. Yes, I know "looks" don't count all that much. It's the "view from the front" that really counts, right?

Tom 8)

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
The LCR is fugly. To me a gun is like a girlfriend got to look good too . :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_0003-2.jpg

cal45

Bearcat
Both are great choices. For me, I wanted a light weight carry that could chamber 357 Mag if I desired. Came down to the LCR and a S&W 340M&P. Besides a wide margin in price, in my mind I just can't get over the internal lock that S&W incorporates - especially in a Scandium frame gun. So I went with the LCR.

tguil

Single-Sixer
Sure appreciate the comments. To me a steel/alloy gun is a " piece of art". A gun with a bunch of poly is a "tool". Heck, I don't even like rubber grips all that much. Briefly had a set of "Pachs" on my Speed Six. They lasted less than a day. I do have one gun that is a "tool".... a Mossberg 500 "Turkey Special" with a black RamLine synthetic stock. I "rattle canned" all the metal black and gray. I guess if I buy an LCR, I'll have another tool. That may not be all bad.

It was good to see the superimposed pic of the LCR on a "'j" frame. Thanks

Tom

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
cal45 said:
Both are great choices. For me, I wanted a light weight carry that could chamber 357 Mag if I desired. Came down to the LCR and a S&W 340M&P. Besides a wide margin in price, in my mind I just can't get over the internal lock that S&W incorporates - especially in a Scandium frame gun. So I went with the LCR.

The difference between 38+P and 357 in a stubby is near zero . The lock can be removed super easy and put back later if you want in 5 mins .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

cal45

Bearcat
Tx gun runner said:
cal45 said:

The difference between 38+P and 357 in a stubby is near zero . The lock can be removed super easy and put back later if you want in 5 mins .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

There is still a difference. I choose to use a 357 Mag and do not care to "have" to remove something I do not want in the first place. If S&W would make a 340 M&P w/o the lock - I would buy it.

GKC

Blackhawk
cal45 said:
There is still a difference. I choose to use a 357 Mag and do not care to "have" to remove something I do not want in the first place. If S&W would make a 340 M&P w/o the lock - I would buy it.

I agree with you...I don't know what possessed S&W to out the lock in such a visible location, and with a design that is a potential problem. At least other makes that feel the need to incorporate a lock have better designs and locations. Look at the LCR, for example...if you didn't take the grip off, you wouldn't know it was even there. On a Taurus revolver, it is on the hammer. I don't like locks on guns, and prefer not to buy guns that have them, but the ones I do have with a lock (LCR, LC9) are at least in either a location that is not visible, or not intrusive, and not likely to engage accidentally. Not so with S&W.

BTW, if you remove the ILS, it can be argued (not logically, IMO, but since when has logic been part of the legal system) that you had reckless disregard for safety, should you be on trial for using that modified S&W.

cal45

Bearcat
Tx gun runner said:
You don't like where S&W lock is , but you like looks of the LCR :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's not the "look" I dislike about the lock.
Granted, J-Frames are classics but for me - I was looking for a lightweight snub that is built to shoot 357Mag w/o an internal lock that may or may not fail during firing.

I am a J frame nut, love them and small colts dearly BUT..you know which one I carry the most...The LCR...because it is lighter and it is the most enjoyable to shoot +P ammo out of. Do not get me wrong, I still carry the others from time to time, but daily carry goes to the LCR!!!

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a 36 S&W also a sp101 in 357. To me the sp101 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 36 for carry. The sp weighs more and is bigger but also a lot more durable. I carry 357's in it but when I am out plinking with it I go back to 38's and really enjoy it. The 357's are a handfull in the sp 101 but if it comes down to saving my life or loved ones lives I want all the power I can get The 357's are in it as we speak.

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
Alright I keep on hearing how the trigger on the LCR is superb compared to the J frame. But let me ask you this. I own and use my 3 inch SP101 for concealed carry, and I am planning on buying a J frame for summer carry. If I am use to the trigger pull on the SP101 (and we all know its substantial) and am comfortable with it, will the J frame trigger pull feel a lot better in comparison? I am not saying in comparison to the LCR (I am not fond of polymer guns just yet) but to the SP101.

If the argument was between the LCR and J frame, well then I guess I will take what everyone is saying about how the LCR trigger pull is superior.

but what about my argument above, if I am so use to the SP101 trigger pull, both of them should in fact feel much better shouldn't it, when compared to an SP101; with just the LCR feeling the better of all three (according to the overall consensus)?

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
The SP101 is a great gun , but way too heavy for me for 5 shots . The hammerless like the 642 can be shot in pocket or purse without the hammer getting jam up . That way you can point a gun at a bad guy in your pocket and he don't have a clue .

SP10127.jpg

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
^Ha I understand your concept. I just like my revolvers haha. I honestly can't find an auto pistol that truly wins me over. I've shot a few glocks, just not my cup of tea.