LCR 22 Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
I saw GunBlast's latest review on the new Ruger LCR 22 Magnum. And from what I can determine is that this pistol seems like an interesting compromise between Ruger's 22LR LCR, and the LCR in 38 Special. Has anyone heard anymore on this latest offering from Ruger :?:

A.W.

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
I have read the reviews but have not been able to try one out, I am certainly anxious to give one a try though. Seems like it might be a neat combination, 22 mag in a snub nose.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
If you look around you can pick up some 22 WRF ammo. It works fine in a 22 mag chamber, really tames the blast most 22 mags deliver.

eveled

Hawkeye
think I'd rather have 5 .38's. Seems like too big of a compromise to gain only 1 shot. IMHO.

It isn't just about getting one more shot. My 50 year wife doesn't carry a gun. But if I was looking for something for her... the LCR in .22 Magnum would be a contender. She would want something with close to zero recoil. And something that is cheap enough to shoot that she could practice now and then. And modern jacketed .22 Magnum gives you decent penetration.

My biggest objection to using a rimfire for self defense is just basic reliability. Anybody with a lot of rounds downrange knows that sometimes .22 LR just doesn't go bang. On the other hand... I don't think I've ever had a dud .22 WMRF. More expensive ammo equals better quality control? Just my personal observation. Also true I've probably fired 100-1 .22 LR versus Magnum so maybe that's why I've seen so many more .22 LR duds!

Gregg

pjkid

Bearcat
I bought an LCR 22Mag as a carry gun and my wife liked it so much she bought her own.

For reliable ammo I will take a Quality rimfire round over any centerfire every time.

sparks701

Bearcat
I just bought one for my wife and some range plinking for me. Pick it up saturday. Will report back after I get it to the range.

pawncop

Blackhawk
Hmmmmmm, having bought a High Standard Mark IV recently, I may missed the boat on this one. The reasoning is sound and the WMR has a little bite to it.

eveled

Hawkeye
All good points, nice to have options. Everybody has to decide what is best for them and what will work best for them..Ed

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
I must admit, it took me a while to warm to the LCR. But I suppose, like some other things, the LCR just grew on me. Although, not a big fan of .38 cal. handguns, particularly snubbies. I would have preferred to see the LCR chambered in a .32 cal. which I doubt will happen. Long a fan of the .22 Mag. I'm excited to see the LCR now offered in this caliber. :D

A.W.

exlogger

Single-Sixer
I must admit, it took me a while to warm to the LCR. But I suppose, like some other things, the LCR just grew on me.
I was the same way. I finally bought a new 22 a couple months ago.

Had to send it back to Ruger last week. Weird trigger problem that I didn't notice till I got it home, but even then it took me awhile to really get a bead on the cause of the problem. Sometimes there was a snap/pop at the beginning of the pull, but it worked fine when I took it out shooting.
Well, the range success was actually fools gold because I never shoot it uphill?? Yes! uphill! :? When I got it home I started fiddling with it and discovered when pointing the gun slightly upward the trigger snaps back in your finger at the beginning of the pull. When pointing downward.... it works like a champ.

They received my gun on Monday, but I haven't heard anything yet. I hope they read my detailed letter that I put in the box, because it really is a bizarre anomaly.

The bright side... I may have the first LCR incorporated with its own gyro/Accelerometer. Step aside IPAD here comes the new LCR. :lol:

mag318

Bearcat
With the popularity of the LCR it only made sense to expand the series with the addition of the 22 Magnum. The first thing I noticed on mine is that the trigger pull is lighter than on my 22 LR LCR. I would love to see them add the 327 magnum chambering, now that would be a versatile addition. But for now the 22 Magnum is my favorite of the 3 LCRs I own.

ediogenes

Bearcat
I dunno. My dad had a Single-Six convertible, which my brother now holds, and I appreciate the .22WMR cartridge. I see Winchester now makes a PDX1 cartridge. I also like hammers and the option of SA on my DA revolvers. I understand this is Ruger Forum, but Charter Arms offers a 2" Pathfinder in .22WMR for $410 MSRP, more than $100 cheaper than the Ruger. At 19 oz., there'll be a little less recoil; stainless, too. Yeah, I know, there're questions about quality. I would have to hold it in my hand to decide. If and when my wife wants a handgun, however, that's the way I might go.

I'll still carry my 2¾" 9mm Speed-Six, myself. The 4" .38 Special Speed-Six keeps its place in the arsenal, as well.