LCP or Bodyguard?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mist

Bearcat
Which one do I want? Bodyguard or LCP? Obviously the one with the track record of reliability and durability. Laser is a nice feature but not a requirement. So, do I go with the more expensive S&W or opt for the LCP and use the saved cash for some target ammo?

Loco Weed

Bearcat
I had previously carried a P3AT for many years. Then I bought a Bodyguard. And then the problems started and resulted in two trips back to S&W and they never did solve all the problems. Many people have had great results with the Bodyguard but a lot of people have had trouble with the trigger failing to reset, take-down levers popping out during firing or being very hard to remove on the later improved models. Reports of failure to fire requiring multiple strikes, the laser retention screw backing out and locking up the gun, very picky about ammo, and many, many problems with the laser actuation buttons and on and on. There is no way I would trust my life to a Bodyguard so I sold mine and bought a trouble free LCP and couldn't be happier.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
mist said:
Which one do I want? Bodyguard or LCP? Obviously the one with the track record of reliability and durability. Laser is a nice feature but not a requirement. So, do I go with the more expensive S&W or opt for the LCP and use the saved cash for some target ammo?

Interesting question....one that has been discussed many times at:

http://www.elsiepeaforum.com/

check it out....lots of good info

YMMV,
boomer 8)

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I went looking for the bodyguard but they were not out when I found the LCP.
I have added the CT laser to mine so now I have the same set up.

I have read of problems with both (the LCP's had a few issues at first, but now all is good).

Buy what feels best in your hands...

Good luck,

Lateck,[/list]

mist

Bearcat
I have indeed visited the elsiepeaforum as well as the bodyguardforum and done a bing search for reviews of each gun. Quite a bit of the stuff is old and outdated. That's why the question was posted.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
Have you looked at the Diamonback .380? It is basically a baby Glock. They also had some growing pains when it first came out but I've been told that they have it all corrected now. Pretty cool little pistol. http://diamondbackfirearms.com/DB380/

mist

Bearcat
Now why you gotta go and throw another wrench into my already preplexed decision making process Stu? Now instead of a coin toss I gotta either do eenie/meenie/miney/mo or a blindfold test to decide.

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I have bodyguard and it's a great little gun. Not one single hickup since new out of the box. The gun has been flawless with any ammo that I feed it. I think it shoots a little nicer than the LCP. Not saying the I don't like the LCP too, I just like shooting the bodyguard better.

Sky1

Bearcat
I fired the LCP and hated it, absolutely terrible gun. very L o o o o o o o o ng trigger then nearly impossible to aim.

Have you checked out the Sig P238? I love the Equinox version, feels great, awesome trigger and unfortunately very pricy.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Cheesewhiz said:
Sky1 said:
I fired the LCP and hated it, absolutely terrible gun. very L o o o o o o o o ng trigger then nearly impossible to aim.

That's why no one has bought them. :lol:

Cheese, They may sell like crazy, best looking 380 on the market, but Sky1 is right, that trigger is ridiculous!

Mist, do some internet homework on the Bodyguard, they've been plagued with issues, not the least of which are problems with the laser. Would really suck to have to send a perfectly functional gun back for service to have the laser repaired.
I hate to throw another gun into the mix here but do yourself a favor and check out the Taurus TCP. I did 6 months of homework on this before finally putting down my cash for one. I really didn't want to, I wanted to buy a gun from a US company and I'm a BIG Ruger guy. BUT, after handling them over and over at different LGS's I just couldn't live with the Rugers trigger. :( The Taurus is pounds lighter and very smooth for a cheap DAO gun. After about 3 jams in the first 150 rounds it's been flawless ever since. I put a Crimson Trace on it and it's my primary CCW when ever I'm outside the borders of the Peoples Republic of Illinois.
Check one out for yourself first.
Sal

mist

Bearcat
RobbyRotten said:
mist said:
Sorry, but it's none of the above. The winner was the Kahr P380.

Why do people do this??

Ask for opinions on two different guns and then after everyone responds with their opinions/advice, the OP says thanks for all the input, but I went with something totally different.

I've had the Kahr since mid-March but experienced reliability issues requiring a return to the manufacturer. Six weeks later it's returned and the issues appear to have been rectified. The Kahr is definitely a keeper, however last night I also purchased a BG380 but haven't had an opportunity to visit the range with it yet. The BG380 simply appealed to me more than the LCP, although I've not discounted the addition of an LCP to my collection at a later date.

I posted my request for opinions on both this and the S&W forum, receiving several responses, most of which were appreciated. My apologies if some of you have become irritated with the choices made.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
I have both and without a doubt the Bodyguard is a much nicer pistol to shoot. But it's a tad larger. Less jump. More accurate. Double strike capable. The only issue I know of that still remains in bodyguards is the laser switch. I don't know if S&W ever improved the rubber buttons, but they are pretty easy to fix yourself if you are a little handy. Price wise, they should be the same now.

With all that said, I love my LCP. It has earned a place in my Van and is always there.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on the Kahr P380. It is arguably one of the best 380s you can buy.....if you get a good one. There are many posters on Kahr Talk who have experienced difficulties with their P380s. More than a few are due to the owner failing to follow the proper break-in procedures or trying to "slingshot" the first round rather than using the slide release as recommended. As with any new gun give it a good clean and lube before heading to the range. I made the same choice as you and have had no issue with my P380 after the 200 round break-in. You made a good choice.