LC9 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Picked up an LC9 yesterday and got a chance to shoot it today.

I cleaned and lubed the gun. I don't have and LCP, so I'm not sure if the take-down is similar, but you do need a small punch to push the takedown pin out.

I shot in the back yard, so I only shot one box of Federal Champion (Walmart) 115 gr ball, and then put two mags of Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr through it. The gun ran flawless. No malfunctions of any kind! I found the gun a bit snappy, but I enjoyed it. I found the sights easy to pick up.

I was really just plinking, but the gun seemed to group well. It was hitting about 2 inches low for me, but I think that is me. The trigger pull is smooth, but long and just under 8 lbs. I'm not used to that, and I think I was pulling my shots down.

I'm very pleased overall, and I think Ruger has a winner here.

Here's a few pics, including a couple with my SR9c for size comparison.

LC9_1.jpg

LC9_1a.jpg

LC9_2.jpg

LC9_3.jpg

LC9_4.jpg

Verndog

Blackhawk
That is a great review with the SR9c pics, thank you for posting that.

They have yet to show up here, but I plan to have a look at one when they do. I also have the 9c and first impression was that the LC9 was too big and not enough size change to the 9c to sway me. But your pics, and ceratinly the weight difference has me a bit more interested for lighter carry.

How would you rate the feel, I see you have the grip extension on the LC9 but not the 9c, is the LC9 grip short enough to make you need it?

Also do you think the recoil would be too much for an average size female to shoot effectively with a little training?

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Thank you for the report and pictures. Since I have an SR9c, the pics really helped. I am planning on an LC9 purchase, I'm just debating on whether or not to buy an early model. My LCP was an early one, and that was recalled, and my SR9c was an early purchase and that too made a trip back to Ruger. But, I must say: Ruger's service is second to none.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I do like the feel of the SR9c grip better because it's thicker, but I think the LC9 will be much more comfortable to carry due to being thinner. I know it doesn't look much thinner in the photo, but it is. I think it's .25" thinner based on specs.

It was nice to have a gun run flawless out of the box for a change. My SR9c was a single shot for the first two mags I put through it, but I just kept shooting, and by the 5th mag it was running flawless, and has been that way ever since.

I didn't shoot it without the grip extension. They only give you one mag, with two base plates, one with the finger extension, and one without.

I think an average woman would have no problem handling the gun. I have small hands, but have never been very recoil sensitive, so it's hard for me to say, but I found the gun pleasant to shoot.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
mrbumps

Well as far as I know your the first!!! Congrats. I have been waiting for one of us to get one and give a "consumers" evaluation of the pistol.

I have been looking around for a "small" 9mm and keep coming back to the LC9. Don't know if I have covered the field but have looked a quite a few. Have you tried putting the LC9 in your back pocket of a pair of jeans? That is where I like to carry my LCP. I know the LC9 may be a bit long but it would be interesting in how close it comes.

Please keep shootin a giving range reports. Is the elevation on the LC9 adjustable?

thanks again

mrbumps

Blackhawk
thumbs said:
mrbumps

Have you tried putting the LC9 in your back pocket of a pair of jeans? That is where I like to carry my LCP. I know the LC9 may be a bit long but it would be interesting in how close it comes.

Please keep shootin a giving range reports. Is the elevation on the LC9 adjustable?

thanks again

It actually does fit in the back pocket of a pair of jeans, but just! I don't think I would want to sit on it! It actually doesn't feel bad in the front pocket either, at least without a pocket holster. I don't think I would pocket carry this gun though, unless it was with cargo pants.

The elevation is not adjustable.

hksigman

Bearcat
I'm looking forward to the LC9 getting approval for sale in Massachusetts! I really like the direction that Ruger is heading in!!

thumbs

Single-Sixer
mrbumps

Did you see anything that said the LC9 is +P rated? I just read an artical that said it was. Just checkin.
thanks

mrbumps

Blackhawk
thumbs said:
mrbumps

Did you see anything that said the LC9 is +P rated? I just read an artical that said it was. Just checkin.
thanks

The manual states the LC9 is capable of functioning with +P, but a steady diet of +P will shorten the endurance life of the gun. It states several times NOT to use +P+ ammo.

8th ID

Bearcat
mrbumps--

Thanks for the report. Good to hear yours is running fine. I've been looking for a smaller CC pistol. I've read a lot on here about Ruger semi's. And I have no concerns about this new model...mainly because after what I've read, I know if there is a problem Ruger WILL take care of it. I've already put my $$ down on one...it's on reserve at Bud's. Can't wait!

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Glupy said:
Good man.

You also win the "first to report" member of the Ruger Forum.
One wonders why Vermont get the first LC9 though.

Dave

The dealer I purchased from is a big Ruger Collector, and probably the largest volume dealer for Ruger in the state. I think he was a bit persistant in this case to get some early.

Strange

Bearcat
Can't wait to try one on for size, curious how close is it to carrying a LCP on a daily basis. I know a lot of people carry full size weapons as CCW but for me they seem to heavy and bulky. The LCP feels like I'm carrying a small utility knife on my belt not an anchor, so I would upgrade if its a good fit like the LCP.