Lacquer coated steel cartridges

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BradB

Bearcat
Does anyone use the lacquer coated steel cartridge ammo like Wolf. Does it gum up the chamber? What solvent would you clean you chambers with should this be used a lot?

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
BradB said:
Does anyone use the lacquer coated steel cartridge ammo like Wolf. Does it gum up the chamber? What solvent would you clean you chambers with should this be used a lot?

They do not gum up the chamber, but the cases do not expand, which allows the powder to coat the front 1/3 of the chamber, chamber throat, and leade.

I use Hoppe's and a bronze chamber brush, though Slip Carbon Killer works well too (pricey).

6gun

Hunter
BradB said:

What kind of gun are you shooting them in? A local gun smith hold me they work fine in most guns but leave build up in the chambers of AR's and not good idea to use in them must be from heat build up in AR barrels? don't seem to leave no build up in AK's that also get hot, all I can see is less tighter tolerances in AK?

I see no reason why steel cases wouldn't be just fine in revolvers, in pistols would the steel case cause wear on ejecters? I don't know if anyone has really done any studies or a lot of testing to see just what effects steel case have on guns would be intersting to find out.

I use lots of Wolf in my AK, only brass in my AR I reload most all my ammo so all my other guns all get brass.

BradB

Bearcat
Have a Glock 9mm and also want to get an SR9. Practice ammo may be anything I can get for awhile until shortages are rectified.

6gun

Hunter
BradB said:
Have a Glock 9mm and also want to get an SR9. Practice ammo may be anything I can get for awhile until shortages are rectified.

Have you gone on the Glock forum and asked around? my kid has a Glock and I know that where he gets his info. kid has a SR9 also and hates it, can't stand the long trigger pull.

96/44

Blackhawk
The steel cased rounds seem to work pretty well in most 9mm's. I think the round being tapered helps with extraction. The majority of complaints you hear about steel cased ammo is from .223 shooters. That cartridge was designed from the beginning with a brass case, and the higher pressure and lack of case taper doesn't play well with many AR chambers. I don't think the lacquer coating has a detrimental effect, since there are millions of AK's and SKS's firing nothing but lacquer coated steel cased ammo, and they are generally considered the most reliable semi-autos on the planet.

roylt

Hunter
In my opinion both guns you mention should run steel fine. I have used steel case in my glock mod 22, 40 cal and seen no issue what so ever. Glocks and Rugers just eat what is served. The only reason I stay away from some of the cheaper ammo is the smell of the burnt powered and the cloud it can make. Had some federal 22 LR ammo once and didn't even finish the 50 rounds. The cloud and stink gave me a headache so I just moved on. It was only 1.75 for the box.

If you can find ammo, buy it and shoot it.