Kimber 22 LR Converion Kit (slide/mag) with SR1911 anyone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Was looking at one of the Kimber 1911 22LR guns, really nice at LGS but also really pricey.

They also sell a 22 LR conversion kit, that has their slide, recoil spring assembly, barrel and magazine to go on a 1911 frame.

Was wondering if anyone has tried this on a their Ruger SR1911 and how did things work out?

Thinking of buying one, but want it to just fit and work and not have a gun smith dink with it.

Thanks!

Snake45

Hawkeye
SteelShooter said:
Was looking at one of the Kimber 1911 22LR guns, really nice at LGS but also really pricey.

They also sell a 22 LR conversion kit, that has their slide, recoil spring assembly, barrel and magazine to go on a 1911 frame.

Was wondering if anyone has tried this on a their Ruger SR1911 and how did things work out?

Thinking of buying one, but want it to just fit and work and not have a gun smith dink with it.

Thanks!
Take your gun in and ask to try the conversion kit on it. From everything I've heard the SR1911 is built to mil-specs and so the Kimber (and Ciener, etc.) conversion kits SHOULD work on it but you know how SHOULD sometimes works out in real life.

wapiti22

Blackhawk
I found a used one for my Springield and it worked fine. A lot less money than a new one. Search the forums, they are there. I found mine to be a bit picky about what ammo I shot. Liked the CCI Mini-mags the best. Ended up selling it.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I don't recall who makes the Kimber unit, but I'm pretty sure it's farmed out. That said, maybe these pics of several manuf's. will help.

These worked on my early SR1911 (delivered in May, 2011). Accuracy with all three was superb, ie. sub 2" at 25 yds with cheap, Remington bulk "Golden Bullet" . 22 lr's:

Ciener, Commander length and also the 5" model
Advantage Arms
Marvel

However, a Colt sliding chamber model, .22 lr conversion unit, all steel, (which works well on several Colt Series 70 .45's and a WWll Remington Rand) would not fit on the SR1911's rails. Snake's recommendation to try it at the LGS is a good idea.

Best Regards, Rod

CienerUnit2.jpg
Ciener Unit

RugerAdvantageArms22Unit.jpg
Advantage Arms

RugerMarvel.jpg
Marvel

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rodfac said:
I don't recall who makes the Kimber unit, but I'm pretty sure it's farmed out.
Ciener made their early ones. I think they're making them in-house now, or maybe they're farming them to someone different, but it's not Ciener anymore.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Going to follow Snakes advise and see if I can find one at local LGS, and take my frame in to check fit. Figure with the manufacturing tolerances between Ruger and Kimber, it may fit one SR1911 frame and then not another.

Figure tyring is the best route.

Thanks!

bedrockfred

Blackhawk
i have 3 kimber kits, and 2 sr1911s , the kimbers DO NOT work on my sr1911s! my rugers are not machined to GI spec. where the barrel sits on the frame, frame has extra shoulder not cutaway like my colts and kimbers, slide kits work fine in them! try before you buy!

cimcw

Bearcat
Just my two cents worth...
I have a Kimber unit and it will not fit the SR1911. It works fine with a Springfield, a Sig 1911 and an older Randall and a Colt. But its a "No Go" on the Ruger.
Too bad, the Ruger is a great gun, but its not made in GI spec...

GaryVA

Bearcat
There are scores of people reporting that their Kimber units work flawlessly on a box stock SR1911 without issues. Also, just as many report no issues with the Ciener unit, which at one time was making the Kimber unit. What gives that a person here or there reports that the Kimber does not fit and that the Ruger is not built to standard spec and therefore it is impossible to fit. Seems odd being guys are taking box stock Kimbers and placing them on box stock Rugers and reporting stellar performance. Is there a difference in Kimber production or a difference between versions?

rdf009

Single-Sixer
I am also curious about this. Just picked up a SR1911 today, and I'm thinking about buying a Kimber conversion kit. However, I don't want to spend $300+ and find out it doesn't work. How does it work on some SR1911s and not others?

loaded round

Hunter
I'd like to jump in with my two cents worth if I may. I own a Ciener Platinum Cup 22lr conversion kit that I bought for my Colt Gold Cup. I installed it on my new SR1911 it functioned perfectly. Therefore I would assume any 22 conversion kit made for a "1911" would function on the Ruger SR1911.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
I like to ask with the kimber conversion kits are they as accurate as let say a ruger mark II in 22 cal. pistol at 25 yards?

loaded round

Hunter
I can't speak for the Kimber, but my Ciener Platinum conversion kit with ammo it likes is as accurate as my Ruger Mk ll bull barreled target pistol. I have never compared either pistol side by side in a Ransom rest, but both are more accurate than I can shoot them. I assume the Kimber kit would be similar.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
Well: we will see how accurate the Kimber conversion unit Will be on Tuesday.I hope it will replace the S@W model 41 I use from a Buddie. the S@W 41 can be picky on ammo : I know my 1911 will shoot on any day run a 3" circle with 200 Gr.SWC at 30 yards two hand hold un-supported The hammer spring in there now is 19lbs and the STI trigger breaks at 2 1/2 lbs like glass.
I was thinking in buying a Ruger mark III but after last week IDPA 22 cal. match I did try one and my results were not happy with the way the gun ran.
New Ruger has to run Mark II or III $450.00 or better then a trigger conversion a little more on the Dollar side.
I also shot the Browning Buckmark dollar wise maybe 350.00 another gun that need a trigger job
I did read on another form a gentleman said with the new kimber conversion on a Mil-spec 1 1/2" at 25 yards with CCI ammo bench rested.
I say that not bad for a 22 cal. and I see no reason it can't be used in the 22 matches also it needs to run with out a He-cup
only time will tell .

Snake45

Hawkeye
lonewolf5347 said:
Well: we will see how accurate the Kimber conversion unit Will be on Tuesday.I hope it will replace the S@W model 41 I use from a Buddie. the S@W 41 can be picky on ammo : I know my 1911 will shoot on any day run a 3" circle with 200 Gr.SWC at 30 yards two hand hold un-supported.
I doubt if that Kimber will be anywhere near as accurate as a Smith 41. It should easily be more accurate than the .45 figure you quote, though. So it might well be accurate enough to satisfy you and meet your needs. :wink:

loaded round

Hunter
For what its worth, my Ciener Platinum Cup Conversion Unit will shoot 1''groups with the ammo it likes when mounted on my Colt Gold Cup. I haven't tried to shoot for groups yet with the unit on my SR1911 but it seems to be very accurate also. There is absolutely no reason why the Kimber unit wouldn't be as accurate or better.

lonewolf5347

Single-Sixer
My kimber conversion kit came to day and it was a snap to change over the new slide to the SA 1911 frame,I did have a small problem the thumb safety a little hard to engage but after a few drops of Teflon the safety went up and works.I did disassemble the barrel and ran the slide on the frame also using Teflon oil and after a few hundred runs it seem to slide runs like glass :I only had two small spots on the 22 slide seem the black color came off.
I will see how she runs on Friday

Latest posts