Just ordered a SR1911....How long will I be waiting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
biggameballs said:
At $590 I'll be tickled pink with my Ruger. At $750 I would've picked a Sig Sauer Tac ops or a Springfield Armory Range Officer. Both those guns have "suggested retail" of about $1000. If you know how to shop for a gun you can get them under $750.

Why so defensive. I'm not trying to bash the Ruger at all. I'm sure it will be a great gun. Love the looks of it too.

Ever hear that saying about beating a deceased equine ??? :D

REV

biggameballs

Bearcat
Just got back to the range with my dad. They had a Ruger 1911 for rent so obviously I had to give it a go. GREAT shooter. I put 40 rounds down range rapid fire at 20 and 25 yards and was holding groups the size of a softball. I shot it much better then my dads Kimber but I think that had a lot to do with the 3 dot sights on the Ruger. Really like those. Out of the 100 total rounds put through it not a single FTF or FTE. Most of the ammo was Magtech which my dad wouldn't even let me put in the Kimber becasue he said it "gummed it up". This is going to be a great gun. My dad is already trying to buy it off me and I dont even own it yet.

My only companit about the gun was the factory magazine seemed like a real POS. It was almost impossible to get the 7th and 8th rounds in the clip and they just didn't feel like they seated in there perfectly. This was a range rental so I dont know if the clip is this way or if it had been damaged. I just know the clip on my dad's Kimber was worlds better to load. Not a big deal anyway since aftermarket clips are interchangable with 1911's.

Sweet gun and I might take back everything I said about it not leading the pack in the $750 range too.

biggameballs

Bearcat
Oh yea and my range trip also reminded me how much I hate striker fired guns. I couldn't hit chit with my dad's Glock even at 10 yards. I think I'll be real happy with the Sig too.

revhigh

Hawkeye
biggameballs said:
Oh yea and my range trip also reminded me how much I hate striker fired guns. I couldn't hit chit with my dad's Glock even at 10 yards. I think I'll be real happy with the Sig too.

Yeah ... those Sigs 2022's are good guns. You'll certainly like it. I have a 226 and a 225 and they are the most accurate 9MM's I own ... followed closely by the CZ75B.

Glad to hear the SR1911 worked well. I'm looking forward to mine coming in as well. Whenever .... :D

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
Magtech is good ammo, I'd even say its on par with WWB.

Good to hear it ran well for you, I'm not sure about the magazines, mine run flawlessly and its not difficult to get the 7th or 8th round in them.

I guess I'm used to my 20 round mags for my M&P too, they are a bear to get 19 or 20 in.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
biggameballs said:
If the Ruger wasn't full of MIM parts I would say it probably would lead the pack at 750. I'd buy a SA Range Officer at $750 beforfe I paid that for the Ruger.

Some folks prefer Made in USA Ruger over Made in Brazil (in part or whole) Springer. 8)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer said:
biggameballs said:
Some folks prefer Made in USA Ruger over Made in Brazil (in part or whole) Springer. 8)

still, it's nice to see some members here supporting those crazy Brazillians!
:wink:
I hear things are tough 4000 miles away, and they need the jobs...

To each her/his own, I guess. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Ruger Packer said:

mohavesam said:
still, it's nice to see some members here supporting those crazy Brazillians!
:wink:
I hear things are tough 4000 miles away, and they need the jobs...

To each her/his own, I guess. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I do have a full blood Taurus PT1911 45. Shoots perty good too! Obtained 3 years ago, before the SR1911 was available. 8)

1911s010.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer said:
Some folks prefer Made in USA Ruger over Made in Brazil (in part or whole) Springer

I do have a full blood Taurus PT1911 45. Shoots perty good too! Obtained 3 years ago, before the SR1911 was available. 8)

LOL !! I guess you're not one of them ..... :D

About Taurus .....

"The Taurus PT1911 is a clone of the US Military model 1911 single-action recoil operated semi-automatic pistol. It was designed and manufactured by Taurus in Porto Alegre Brazil, and distributed in the US by Taurus USA. Announced at the 2005 Shot Show, it was released to the consumer market in the fall of 2005."

Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Kimber have always been made in the USA .... yet three years ago you bought a Taurus 1911 (made in Brazil) ..... guess the whole 'Made in the USA' thing wasn't very important back then ????? :D

So .... I guess Springer importing frames from Imbel in Brazil is somehow wrong (not made in the USA), but Taurus making almost the entire gun in Brazil, but 'distributing' in the USA ... is acceptable ? What's up with that ?? Don't you want to keep American workers in their jobs ?? Could it be that the price of the guns 'Made in the USA' at the time was too high compared to the Taurus (who supposedly gave you a $2100 gun for $600 (uh huh) after you added in all the 'extra doo dads') ???? :D

By the way .... those PT1911's are nice guns ... if it wasn't for all the cheaply done cosmetic stuff (like front strap checkering, trigger guard BOTTOM checkering, front slide serrations, ambi safety, beavertails, hammer key locks, etc, etc) on them, I'd have bought one several times. I've shot several, and they were all quite accurate and functioned perfectly. Having said all that I didn't like about them ... they're still damn good shooters ... if you can live with the fact that they're MADE IN BRAZIL ....

REV

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
revhigh said:
Ruger Packer said:
Some folks prefer Made in USA Ruger over Made in Brazil (in part or whole) Springer

LOL !! I guess you're not one of them ..... :D

About Taurus .....

"The Taurus PT1911 is a clone of the US Military model 1911 single-action recoil operated semi-automatic pistol. It was designed and manufactured by Taurus in Porto Alegre Brazil, and distributed in the US by Taurus USA. Announced at the 2005 Shot Show, it was released to the consumer market in the fall of 2005."

Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Kimber have always been made in the USA .... yet three years ago you bought a Taurus 1911 (made in Brazil) ..... guess the whole 'Made in the USA' thing wasn't very important back then ????? :D

So .... I guess Springer importing frames from Imbel in Brazil is somehow wrong (not made in the USA), but Taurus making almost the entire gun in Brazil, but 'distributing' in the USA ... is acceptable ? What's up with that ?? Don't you want to keep American workers in their jobs ?? Could it be that the price of the guns 'Made in the USA' at the time was too high compared to the Taurus (who supposedly gave you a $2100 gun for $600 (uh huh) after you added in all the 'extra doo dads') ???? :D

By the way .... those PT1911's are nice guns ... if it wasn't for all the cheaply done cosmetic stuff (like front strap checkering, trigger guard BOTTOM checkering, front slide serrations, ambi safety, beavertails, hammer key locks, etc, etc) on them, I'd have bought one several times. I've shot several, and they were all quite accurate and functioned perfectly. Having said all that I didn't like about them ... they're still damn good shooters ... if you can live with the fact that they're MADE IN BRAZIL ....

REV

What did it matter? Ruger wasn't making 1911 platforms in 2005 or 2009, when I got the Taurus. Wasn't sure if I wanted a 1911, as my only experience with them before was negative.... couldn't shoot it worth a darn. I can shoot the Taurus and Ruger just fine, and hit what I'm aiming at. Kimber and Springers were more than I wanted to pay for one. I did almost buy a used Kimber from a guy, but he never showed up to complete the deal. He was wanting $800 for a used Kimber. I'm into a stainless Ruger brand new and for less $$ than a used blued Kimber.

IIRC, the Taurus set me back around $519. Quite a bit less than the $600 you quoted.... direct from Bud's. And, I never thought I was getting a target gun worth $2100. Maybe you did.

My whole point is, why an offshore gun when one can get the Ruger...... Made in USA....... for a very reasonable price?

I don't normally buy guns made offshore. The only other Taurus (or offshore gun) I ever bought brand new was a PT100 (18 yrs ago). All my other guns are Made in USA.

If I had known 3 years ago, Ruger was going to bring out a 1911 platform, I'd have saved the money, or maybe spent it on something else on my short list.

Now that I have an 100% AMERICAN made SR1911, I don't need the Taurus. But, why sell it for a loss? Its the truck gun now. ALSO, now that there is a Made in USA 1911 at a reasonable price for a good 1911 I have no reason to buy Taurus, RIA, Springers, etc that are made in whole or part, offshore.

Dollar for dollar, the SR1911 is the best value for the money. The SR1911 beats Colt, Kimber and S&W for value in a USA made 1911.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ruger Packer said:
What did it matter?

Virtually every one of your posts says how important it is to buy 'Made in the USA' products .... yet you bought a Brazillian gun when there were MANY options to buy made in the USA products.

Ruger wasn't making 1911 platforms in 2005 or 2009, when I got the Taurus.

Ah ... I see .... 'Made in the USA' only counts when it's RUGER's 'Made in the USA' product ....

IIRC, the Taurus set me back around $519. Quite a bit less than the $600 you quoted.... direct from Bud's.

The MSRP is $595 ... that's why I mentioned that number ...

Maybe you did.

Maybe I did WHAT ??? I didn't buy a Taurus 1911 .... never said I did ...

My whole point is, why an offshore gun when one can get the Ruger...... Made in USA....... for a very reasonable price?

Depends what you consider reasonable .... $799 is not reasonable for what you get with the Ruger .... $600 is ...

I don't normally buy guns made offshore.

Except when you buy (2) Taurus's when there were USA made alternatives at the time.

If I had known 3 years ago, Ruger was going to bring out a 1911 platform, I'd have saved the money, or maybe spent it on something else on my short list.

I hear that .... :D

Now that I have an 100% AMERICAN made SR1911

You could have a 100% USA made 1911 3 years ago as well .... easily ....

Dollar for dollar, the SR1911 is the best value for the money. The SR1911 beats Colt, Kimber and S&W for value in a USA made 1911.

Your opinion only .... but it IS good to see that we've finally gotten to the crux of the matter .... MONEY (it's OK ... just ADMIT it). The point is ... when it came time to spend your money ... you spent it offshore ... at least twice... despite constant posting about how you should buy 'Made in the USA' guns ...

I guess you consider the Ruger more 'Made in the USA' than Kimber, Colt, and S&W ....

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Somebody get more popcorn! :D

So is price or Ruger made or USA made most important?

I still think it's absolutely great that so many folks are buying this 1911 mainly because it's a Ruger! Why not??

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
So is price or Ruger made or USA made most important?

That's what I'm wondering.

All this talk about buying made in the USA, yet it seems like that only applies 100% if the gun is a Ruger. There have been 1911's made completely in the USA for 100 years and counting, yet some act like this gun is the first one ever 'Made in the USA'.

If you feel that way ... GREAT ... then PRACTICE it consistently. Or don't comment on it so vehemently in almost every post if you don't practice it yourself. When someone looks down their nose at a Springfield just because the frame is made in Brazil ... and feels that we should all buy 'Made in the USA' guns .... fine. But when people preach about buying 'Made in the USA', yet don't follow that credo themselves ... that is just hypocritical.

I maintain that it's not 'Made in the USA' that motivates 'most' buyers (of course there are exceptions for the very rich) ... it's PRICE that drives most people to buy a given product .... except when 'Made in the USA' happens to coexist and coincide with a good PRICE, which then allows people to preach about buying 'Made in USA' products for this product.

I make no such assumptions or recommendations of what product to buy based on country of origin. For my own purchases ... I analyze all the given products in the class that I'm interested in at a given price point, and the best product in the class gets purchased. If that product is 'Made in the USA' ... that's GREAT ! If it's not ... so be it. Maybe next time.

I contend that that is what the vast majority of people do, and it's certainly understandable. Most people want the best value for their hard earned money, which is why I think most people buy primarily on PRICE (which really means value) rather than country of manufacture ... unless they happen to coincide, and then everybody's happy.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ said:
I still think it's absolutely great that so many folks are buying this 1911 mainly because it's a Ruger! Why not??

I don't know AIA. I think most people are buying this product because at the price that most are paying (right around $600 or so) ... it's a great gun at a great price. Any time a manufacturer hits the sweet spot of price versus perceived value, the product is a tremendous hit.

Witness the Springfield Range Officer, the CZ75B, all the RIA's, the GP100, Glocks, the MKII's and MKIII's, and most other Ruger products for that matter. Ruger is generally known for high value products that sell at about 70-75% of MSRP, and the SR1911 is no different at the right price.

For what most are paying, Ruger hit it out of the park. :D

REV

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
To digress....

How long will a buyer wait after placing and order for a SR1911? I guess that depends where you live. I placed my order via my local Mom+Pop last April--almost eight months ago. Each month I pay a visit and listen in while the dealer calls his two Ruger suppliers (one being Davidson's--the world's largest Ruger wholesaler).

The distributers confirm that he is still on the list and, no they can't tell him when the order will ship.

As far as I can tell, no dealer here in Pensacola has seen a SR1911 yet.

If I had to guess (based solely upon intuition), I'd say that it will be delivered in March. That would make the total wait eleven months.

In the meantime, I can temporarily relieve my 1911 cravings with periodic applications of P90DC generated .45 ACP gunsmoke.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
May have to wait a bit longer - A week or so back the Prescott plant had to scrap out somewhere between 750-900 slide assemblies. Not a terminal issue but a significant setback.

And no, there's no dumpsters to dive at Prescott! :(

revhigh

Hawkeye
Only about a weeks of scrap worth from what we've been hearing.

REV

PackinPreacher

Bearcat
I ordered one when they were first released and my LGS said that he had ordered 5 and I was second in line (he is first). We're still waiting. He's probably small potatoes for the distributor. I suspect that the bigger players get them first. Good luck. If it comes in sooner than you want it, will your LGS allow you to put it on lay-a-way until a more convenient time to complete the deal?

biggameballs

Bearcat
PackinPreacher said:
I ordered one when they were first released and my LGS said that he had ordered 5 and I was second in line (he is first). We're still waiting. He's probably small potatoes for the distributor. I suspect that the bigger players get them first. Good luck. If it comes in sooner than you want it, will your LGS allow you to put it on lay-a-way until a more convenient time to complete the deal?

I've already got the money set aside for it in my "secret account" I just have to hide it from the wife if it comes in too soon.

DerekSBF

Bearcat
mohavesam said:
May have to wait a bit longer - A week or so back the Prescott plant had to scrap out somewhere between 750-900 slide assemblies. Not a terminal issue but a significant setback.

And no, there's no dumpsters to dive at Prescott! :(

Is there proof of this happening or is this just another rumor? Ive searched and havent found a thing on this issue.

Latest posts