Just got a beautiful S&W 629...with a catch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Just picked up a beautiful S&W 629. Man it has a sweet trigger and shoots really well.

You can click for larger pics, but they are nothing special really.

Here's the catch that I want some honest advice on. Notice the nice pretty condition of this gun? Almost perfect.

-Well-

Before I start you can see the model and serial number in perfect shape there behind the crane. Take off that grip and the 2nd serial number on the bottom of the gripframe is scratched....BAD. Can still read the serial number, but it was obvious that it wasn't an accident. I did buy the gun though an FFL and it is a perfectly legal firearm to own.

But man alive it really really bugs me that there is such a mess on that gripframe. What would you do? I don't think that a return trip to S&W would be fruitful, but I am not sure that they would be willing to touch it.

I know that I shouldn't bother worrying, but I do.
What do you all think about the factory fixing it?

MOUNTAIN WILLIAM

Blackhawk
I'm going to bet that at some point in it's history someone had a pair of Hogues on it and the retaining screw is what scratched the second digit of the serial number.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
I'm going to bet that at some point in it's history someone had a pair of Hogues on it and the retaining screw is what scratched the second digit of the serial number.

Holy smokes I didn't even think about that. It does certainly make sense. However it does look like there are some really deep cuts that bubba made on it too.

GMan351

Single-Sixer
I think a phone call to S&W would be good to do. They have got to have had similar situations before. Don't know about TN but in KY it is illegal to possess a defaced firearm. Something to consider.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
GMan351 said:
I think a phone call to S&W would be good to do. They have got to have had similar situations before. Don't know about TN but in KY it is illegal to possess a defaced firearm. Something to consider.

Not state, but federal no no.

It is still legible, but looks bad enough where this gun may go back to who sold it to me despite the S/N being stamped in several other locations.

RonS

Single-Sixer
A firearm only has one serial number, the same number may be stamped in multiple locations, but only one is the serial number and on S&W revolvers that number is the one on the butt. The serial number in the crane cut out is usually called an "assembly number".

If the serial number on the butt cannot be read, you have a problem, if it can be read you have a nice S&W to shoot and enjoy.

5of7

Hunter
If it was mine, I would put a set of grips on it that covered up the buggered up digit and forget about it.

That is, of course, if the number was indeed legible.

I don't see it as an issue - it has two legible serial numbers, so it's a condition issue which will put it out of "collector" condition. Is my 2 cents.

However, I understand your concern. I have come into possession of a couple of handguns over the years where I considered and was concerned about "shady" circumstances for varied and different reasons. I could not discern an upfront legal issue with the guns, but for me the potential risk and worrying about it wasn't worth it so I got rid of them. My concern was that a local or federal agent/ inspector's interpretation and reaction is highly variable and may not take a reasonable interpretation approach. The potential risk in my view was too high and not worth sorting out for a couple of mid range "shooter" grade guns. That was my experience and my approach.

Looks like a nice gun; I do like the '29s.

DanChamberlain

Single-Sixer
I had a "custom" S&W made for me. To do the work, the smith had to "erase" the serial number on the butt and at the completion of the work, restamp it. I'm under the impression that this was legal. If so, the number can be "restamped".

Dan

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It is a legal gun, bought through an FFL, (you have the paper work I assume) the grips cover the scratches = No Problem. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Yes. I have the paperwork and am legal. Just always am nitpicky for the reasons stated by cellar701 - exactly what bothers me is that some sheriff's deputy or other hotshot may intrepet things a little differently and cause a lot of unneeded grief.

But then again I am answering my own questions about keeping the gun. I suppose I just needed the talk therapy. Thanks everyone for the time and responses.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'd put some swanky grips on it, go shooting and forget about it. Seriously, your time would be better spent worrying about getting bitten by a rabid toad.