Just been born

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
Here is the neighborhood Doe and her young Fawn. It couldn't be but a couple of days old.

411345379.jpg

411345378.jpg

411345377.jpg

411345376.jpg

411345375.jpg

411345374.jpg

411345373.jpg

411345372.jpg

411345371.jpg

That is a late baby. Usually breed Oct through Jan with fawns dropping generally Feb through May. I wonder if mom aborted one, and was rebred? Good pictures. The doe looks scruffy-due to a large load of parasites maybe? Keep an eye on her, and let us know how she is doing. More pics too!
gramps

stevemb

Hunter
Yup, was gonna say she conceived Dec or even Jan.. Here the rut peaks near the end of the first week of Nov., with roughly one month apart secondary possibles. I've seen does spotting the snow in ealry Jan., when muzzload hunting, when our season was then. Now its the last week in Dec. instead. Hop that fawn grows fast and the coming winter not too harsh. Survival rates for these later bred/dropped fawns lower.

gramps said:
That is a late baby. Usually breed Oct through Jan with fawns dropping generally Feb through May. I wonder if mom aborted one, and was rebred? Good pictures. The doe looks scruffy-due to a large load of parasites maybe? Keep an eye on her, and let us know how she is doing. More pics too!
gramps

Up here this is prime time for fawns they do not start breeding till mid November.
Still cold here in early spring for the babies. Funny how adaptable they are.

Great Pics. ps

nekvermont

Buckeye
The fawns here are usually dropped at about the same time the first hay cutting happens. Unfortunately there are an unbelievable amount of fawns killed by haying equipment. I have personally known farmers who have killed 5 or 6 fawns in one spring and most of them are hunters that are trying very hard to avoid them. The fawn mortality rate around here has to be very high, we seldom see fawns.

Latest posts