Just accepted a 3" GP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had a 3" stainless GP-100 on my Bud's "wish list" for a pretty long time and it finally showed up so I bought it. Would have bought a 3" blue .38 Special when they had those, but they are not on our wonderful CA "Safe Handgun List," so I couldn't. (But then we all know a blue .38 is 'way more dangerous to the public than a stainless .357....so I guess it's a GOOD thing!).

Examined it pretty carefully because of quality complaints I've seen with other recent Ruger production. Brought my feelers along and found that the cylinder/barrrel gap is .004, which is OK by me. My old duty Colt Trooper has an absolutely invisible gap and starts to drag after about 40 rounds of Unique loads if not wiped and brushed, so some gap is needed if you intend to do any extended range sessions.

Fit seems generally very good and the bore shows no visible lumps, nicks, or scoring; very smooth and crisp. Crown is crisp.

General polishing just isn't up to my other, earlier stainless, a 4" fixed sight half-lug .38 that must have been a cop or govt. contract over-run in the early 1990s. It is nowhere near as good as my half-lug 6" blue .357 made in 1989. But it's OK--no real scoring or scratching, just duller than I'm used to. The inside of the frame is nearly matte texture, which isn't bad since it doesn't affect function and does hold oil nicely.

Think I'm going to like this one, once I get rid of those gummy bear grips. Anybody got a set of the original compacts, with or without inserts????

jimd441

Blackhawk
And we all know that a .38 Special is way more dangerous than a .357 because .38 is bigger than .357 and it is "Special"

Glad you like your new gun

Jim