I've been attacked by the t-shirt gremlins

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The other day my wife berated me, again, and said I should get rid of the old t-shirt that I was wearing. She pointed out that this motorcycle related shirt had obvious holes, many of them, right at where the shirt was over my belt buckle. Pretty much year round I wear jeans and a t-shirt, untucked as my daily outfit, and I have probably about 75 different t-shirts in my dresser. My wife thinks that the problem is that the belt buckle is wearing those holes in the shirts, and I say shirts because after I threw the one I was wearing in the trash and put on another shirt, I saw that that one also had a bunch of little holes in it. Going through my collection I am finding that almost all of my best t-shirts are also filled with those holes and need to be chucked out. I'm not sure if I can put the blame on my enlarging waistline and metal belt buckles, and I suspect that like the tooth fairy, the t-shirt gremlins sneak in at night and eat those little holes in the cotton shirts.

In any case, I have thrown out 8 shirts this morning, and hesitate to go through the rest but will just see on a day to day basis what shirts are still worth keeping. I guess I will have to buy a whole bunch of new ones. I prefer the ones made in heavier cotton rather than the thin cotton polyester mixes, so I think this replacement project is going to cost me dearly. Obviously I have too much time on my hands if I bothered to write this thread.

know just what you mean, between the old 'bike' shirts and all the worlds greatest dad or grandpa or sports teams the dresser is LOADED, some way too small and old. and others WAY too big from my "fat" days it never ends............still have a ton of them as "rags": out in thegaage , cars and pole barn,,,it just goes on and on will NEVER, EVER use them all up after 77 years already...........:unsure::cool:

You need a good supply of "work" T shirts. You going to mow or change oil in a new one?

It took an object lesson to get it through to my wife. I put on a white dress shirt, granted one a bit old and small, and then changed the starter on my Jeep.

No more complaints if I wear a well used shirt.

Oh, I washed that white shirt and left it in the closet for a few years. Sort of a reinforcement strategy.

dstegjas

Single-Sixer
We were at a local restaurant for lunch yesterday called the Hickory House. It a great little place that has good BBQ. When you walk in they usually have odds and ends for sale by the register that relates to the restaurant in some way.

IMG_1738.jpeg

This T-shirt was hanging on the wall. My wife said don't even think about buying that. I told her she clearly did not have a sense of humor. It was one of those days when you realize you should keep your mouth shut right after you said it. I was able to get a picture of it for one of my buddies. It would have been a good addition to the collection.

I used to have that issue when I wore a lot of those brass custom belt buckles. The Ruger buckle seemed to be the worst offender. It sits on the safe now. Several years back I changed over to the stiff nylon 5.11 tactical belts. No more holes in my t-shirts! Well, I still occasionally get one at about 4:00 low, but that's from the grip on my gun.

I have had a hard time finding decent t-shirts that are accurately sized. These new "unisex" t-shirts that are a thinner material, shorter sleeves, and a larger neckline just plain suck. It seems every manufacturer is going to that style. And today's 2XL is yesterdays L. The only brand that seems to be properly sized and built is Carhartt. A 2XL fits me just fine and keeps my handgun concealed. The sleeves are a decent length, the collar stays snug, and the material is heavyweight. The only issue is that they are 100% cotton, I think. So if I drip a little pizza grease or the like, there's a permanent dark spot. Can't win them all.

contender

Ruger Guru
3magfan & 41Dude,, y'all must not think quite right.

When Wendy made that post,, I immediately imagined HER and her own thong gremlin. No need for eye bleach there! :D

But back to the T-shirt thing. I still own some T-shirts from long ago,, that are a bit small. They are stored away,, for the possibility of me getting "Old, thin, & frail!"
As for the ones I currently wear,, I delegate the ones with holes or whatever to a "work on whatever" bunch. Once they get too far gone to wear,, (too many holes, too greasy, or whatever,,) THEN they get thrown away, unless I need a rag for something.