IS PROOFREADING A DYING ART?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IS PROOFREADING A DYING ART?

Man Kills Self Before Shooting Wife and Daughter
I called the Editorial Room and asked who wrote this. It took two or three readings before the editor realized
that what he was reading was impossible! They put a correction in the next day.

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says
Really?

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers
Now that's taking things a bit far.

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over
What a guy!

Miners Refuse to Work after Death
Those 'No-good-for-nothing' lazy so-and-so's'

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant
See if that works any better than a fair trial.

War Dims Hope for Peace

I can see where it might have that effect.

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile
Ya think?

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures
Who would have thought.

Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide
They may be on to something.

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges
You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?

Man Struck By Lightning: Faces Battery Charge
He probably IS the battery charge

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group
Weren't they fat enough?

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft
That's what he gets for eating those beans.

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks
Do they taste like chicken?

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half
Chainsaw Massacre all over again.

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors
Boy, are they tall!

And the winner is....
Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead
Did I read that right?

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
I just bought a nicely prepared, reasonably expensive, catalog of Ruger firearms, and I think that every article has a mistake. Sentences are clipped in the middle, photo captions are incorrect, statements inside articles are incorrect or out of date, and more.

Apparently no one did an edit or proofread of the book prior to publication.

HHH

tinman

Buckeye
Yes, it is dead. I am constantly calling, e-mailing or just speaking with folks who have constructed and distributed a document which contains errors in some form or another. Last week it was a survey that followed a mandatory online class. It was a simple survey, just 10 questions. Four of those questions began with the word "Where"....... trouble is the correct usage was supposed to be "Were".
One question asked "Was the course understandable and presented good?"

The funny/sad part is that I stopped after 12th grade........and all of them are college graduates. :roll:

vito

Hunter
Before I retired I was in charge of 10 nursing homes. I insisted that the Administrators of these facilities send me their brochures, general letters to families, any news releases, etc. in draft form before finalizing. I can recall only a handful of these documents that were letter perfect without spelling or grammatical errors and without significant usage errors which would possibly distort the message they intended to communicate. Some of these Administrators resented my proofreading, feeling it implied that I did not trust them in their use of proper English. Of course they were right. Despite the reality that most of these Administrators had Masters degrees, few could write intelligently and properly in the English language (and all of them were native English speaking individuals). The causes of their problems were primary ignorance and carelessness. It was very discouraging. The day is long gone where based upon educational attainment one can assume that an individual can write even barely acceptably well.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A quick check pf Fox News' website shows headlines using "G" instead of "K" to reference "thousand".
This occurs very often.
Since when does some pinhead editor get to re-write mathematical symbols in-use since Roman times???

reloader

Single-Sixer
I have noticed in the past 45 years or so that if it doesn't push the liberal agenda it isn't taught in the schools anymore.
Like any job you do it is always best to go back over it when you think you are finished and double check everything.

Most people learn that the hard way, like "I cut it twice and it's still too short."

I am terrible at spelling, grammar and punctuation.... but I have to agree, even I get miffed at some of the articles in our semi-local newspaper, The Greenville News. But the best quote I ever read was in that paper probably 30 years ago. Seems a guy got robbed early one morning in a certain part of our down town park and the reporter interviewed the police chief... who explained that the local male gay community hung out there late at night (I wrote that myself and it is pretty funny on its own). But what the article did was quote the police chief word for word: "It's gotten so bad down there that you can't have a good time with out being solicited."

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I still remember the classic example given to us in about the fifth grade in school. It purtortedly was an ad in the lost and Found section of a newspaper:

"Lost fountain pen, by a lady full of green ink."

Bob Wright

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
If you don't believe it's dead, look at the number of threads that either begin
the thread title or post itself with "So,". :roll:

Hi,

So what's wrong with that, Pat? (Sorry, just couldn't resist!)

Back on topic, sorta, I wonder how much of this is a function of the death of "drill and kill" in schools and the belief "Kids don't need to learn that cuz the computer will do it"? An interesting story to support this idea came out of Silicon Valley a couple of years ago:

One of the schools (I missed the name, but it looked like a junior high/middle school), which is filled to the gills with the kids of rich hi-tech parents, was in the middle of an experiment where they'd switched gears completely and "outlawed" the use of electronic gizmoes in the classroom. Kids had to check their phones with the teacher, no calculators, computers or other electronics were allowed, and the kids had to everything "longhand" or "in their heads." That won't be such a strange concept to some of us, but it's absolutely alien to so many of today's students.

I saw an interview on the news with some of the kids about how they liked it...

Expecting to hear a lot of complaints, I was surprised to hear every kid they talked to LOVED the idea. One young lady, probably about 13, was rather well spoken as she described the idea of how "using my head" really stimulated her desire to learn, instead of suppressing it, and went on to talk about how actually writing, by hand with a pencil and paper, made her think more about what she was saying and that she could turn out better work that way than what she'd put out on her computer before (anyone remember the three step process of "outline--rough draft in pencil--final draft in ink" some of us were taught? In college, the final draft had to be typed--or would be printed today--but the process was the same.) And not once in her short discussion do I recall her using the filler "like" in her sentences!

BTW, it was mentioned that after only a year, this school's test results were pulling ahead of other local schools which shared otherwise identical demographics where they'd all been pretty similar before. Hmmm... I wonder if they're still doing it "old school" today?

Rick C

graygun

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Pat-inCO said:
If you don't believe it's dead, look at the number of threads that either begin
the thread title or post itself with "So,". :roll:

Hi,

So what's wrong with that, Pat? (Sorry, just couldn't resist!)

Back on topic, sorta, I wonder how much of this is a function of the death of "drill and kill" in schools and the belief "Kids don't need to learn that cuz the computer will do it"? An interesting story to support this idea came out of Silicon Valley a couple of years ago:

One of the schools (I missed the name, but it looked like a junior high/middle school), which is filled to the gills with the kids of rich hi-tech parents, was in the middle of an experiment where they'd switched gears completely and "outlawed" the use of electronic gizmoes in the classroom. Kids had to check their phones with the teacher, no calculators, computers or other electronics were allowed, and the kids had to everything "longhand" or "in their heads." That won't be such a strange concept to some of us, but it's absolutely alien to so many of today's students.

I saw an interview on the news with some of the kids about how they liked it...

Expecting to hear a lot of complaints, I was surprised to hear every kid they talked to LOVED the idea. One young lady, probably about 13, was rather well spoken as she described the idea of how "using my head" really stimulated her desire to learn, instead of suppressing it, and went on to talk about how actually writing, by hand with a pencil and paper, made her think more about what she was saying and that she could turn out better work that way than what she'd put out on her computer before (anyone remember the three step process of "outline--rough draft in pencil--final draft in ink" some of us were taught? In college, the final draft had to be typed--or would be printed today--but the process was the same.) And not once in her short discussion do I recall her using the filler "like" in her sentences!

BTW, it was mentioned that after only a year, this school's test results were pulling ahead of other local schools which shared otherwise identical demographics where they'd all been pretty similar before. Hmmm... I wonder if they're still doing it "old school" today?

Rick C

It wouldn't be fair. :roll:

Tom W

Blackhawk
My wife works on Base at an Elementary School. DODEA has sent a mandate that the teachers are no longer allowed to retain children. ( We called it "fail" when we were in school. ) The kids can't be failed on a test or anything that they do. There are kids in the 2nd and 3rd grade reading and doing math at kindergarten levels, and that's just fine. We're raising a bunch of people that have the mentality of street hoods, who can't read, write, or speak properly, wear their pants around their azzhole and will never amount to anything except a name and picture on a police record, or be on the news by time they are 25. We're quickly becoming a 3rd World country. By time these kids graduate, and I use that word cautiously, the majority of our population will be dolts. But they will be able to play video games.

Latest posts