Interesting 1978 Ruger letter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I been looking over this 1978 Ruger letter by Steven Vogel. ref 250 ser # guns. note it says manufacturer date and not shipping date. the dates seem odd on some of them. a few interesting guns not listed. note the single shot 456 Winchester Hawkeye magnum. im sure it was a records staffer. surely the old field and stream editor was not this bad. but he did sign it. all and all. just interesting stuff. FNC

Attachments

• 20230419_143559.jpg
    20230419_143559.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 209
  • 20230419_143612.jpg
    20230419_143612.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 202

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee,, a simple typo and makes us poor old Ruger collectors go into the "Hmmm's" :D

Obviously a typo, where it was listing the Hawkeye handgun in .256 Winchester! Still funny though!

yep, once again, THEY work with the stuff every day and cannot get it right, let alone "proof read" what actually was typed up before they sign it, and so many of us put our faith , and trust in it...we gave up on any letters long ago, shortly after Nancy gave up the ghost..........:rolleyes::cautious:
we ran into this when dealing /working with customer service , and to this day I still think they do not know an RST from the Mark I.......ask one sometime......:unsure:

G2

Hunter
Does anyone know "the rest of the story" concerning the SN# 250 guns?

I stumbled into 650-00250 SSM marked, 32H&R. Bought the gun because I wanted a "SSM" marked gun.
Pictures showed a nice gun,,, but when it showed up it came absolutely 100% NIB, including Shipper…😳

Can bring myself to shoot it.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Seems, if my memory is correct, that there appeared to be "some" turnover in the staff that did the records work for us back when. A late(miss him) confidante noted this to me and I will always miss the staffer who would, and knew "how" to, go through multiple files and drawers(I could hear that/them) to get to the bottom of the pile for correct information. All of this went south when Kim P retired and the records activity changed............You should also observe that the prior investigations and subject letter was probably prepared by the signator who also signed the letter for Mr Vogel. See the two initials by his (her?) signature................Splitz

Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
Does anyone know "the rest of the story" concerning the SN# 250 guns?

I stumbled into 650-00250 SSM marked, 32H&R. Bought the gun because I wanted a "SSM" marked gun.
Pictures showed a nice gun,,, but when it showed up it came absolutely 100% NIB, including Shipper…😳

Can bring myself to shoot it.
The 250's were sold off not long after Grele got this letter.
Note that the Single-Six and .357 Blackhawk flattop both shipped September 1957. Even a number as high as 250 was apparently held in the Ruger archive, then shipped probably when somebody convinced WBR he didn't need all those guns taking up space.... so then the low serial number program was created.
Chet15