Interchanging scopes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Over the years, I've collected several Ruger rimfire rifles. I'd like to use one scope on all of them with quick release rings. since they include 10/22, 77/22, and American 22 ( future purchase ), how many different scope bases do I need to buy? The rings I'm using are Leupold quick release Weaver base (Picatinny rail?) Thanks for your insight.

wwb

Hunter
You will need a rail on each rifle. The spacing on the cross-slots is standard, so you won't need to move the rings on the scope.

That said, the chance of getting the proper eye relief as you switch from one rifle to the next is pretty slim. And the odds of the scope having the same zero from rifle to rifle are ZERO. If you don't mind rezeroing the scope every time you switch, then go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider doing that... get a scope for each rifle that is appropriate to the use. If one is a target gun, get a 3-9X or similar. For a plinker, a 2-7X, and for a hunting rifle, a 1-3X or 1.5-4.5X.

Snake45

Hawkeye
wwb said:
That said, the chance of getting the proper eye relief as you switch from one rifle to the next is pretty slim. And the odds of the scope having the same zero from rifle to rifle are ZERO. If you don't mind rezeroing the scope every time you switch, then go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider doing that... get a scope for each rifle that is appropriate to the use. If one is a target gun, get a 3-9X or similar. For a plinker, a 2-7X, and for a hunting rifle, a 1-3X or 1.5-4.5X.
This. You will soon discover that the frustration of trying to zero the scope for each rifle greatly outweighs whatever money you hope to save. Get a second job--at McDonald's, if necessary--to buy a proper scope for each rifle you want scoped, if that's what it takes. :wink:

JFB

Hunter
rezoring scopes should be a problem if you use one of those fancy dancy bore sighters :roll:

actually, that sounds like an intersting challange to tweak the Picatinny rails so that they are "zeroed" and the scope just stay centered

Jim Puke

Hunter
Swapping one scope between several rifle would probably prove to be an exercise in frustration for the reasons mention above.