Ded dot scopes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VA Shooter

Single-Sixer
I have been thinking about getting a red dot for my 10/22 I have been looking at Mueller quick shot. Have any one used a ded dot on their 10/22, if so what do you think about them Thanks

9x19

Hunter
I've no experience with the Mueller, but have a couple 10/22s with red-dot sights.

They are quick and a good choice for close in or moving shots.

At 50 yards or more, I'd rather have some magnification.

mishtub

Blackhawk
I have an A.I.M reflex sight
warfare-edition-dual-illuminated-reflex-sight.jpg

that is similar to the Mueller quick shot, plus several others.
When the sun is behind you it can "wash out" the dot somewhat and the lens being exposed gathers dust and dirt easily. Other than those minor issues, they allow quick target acquisition with both eyes open. I'm with 9x19, over 50 yards I prefer some magnification.

If you ever get the big catalog from Midway they have a full double page spread of Red dots.... what I realized when looking at all the options is I'm pretty sure just about 90% of them are made by one or two companies in China... they are all pretty much designed and shaped the same with just a few differences or in some cases nothing more than different coating and label.

Kyberz

Bearcat
About a year ago I thought about doing the same. I didn't want to spend much so I bought a Tasco just to see how it worked out. After ignoring the instructions regarding up/down, left/right. They were backwards. I'm really happy with the results. I'm sure one can spend more, but the Tasco has been flawless so far.

Well, OK, other than the instructions on how to zero... :lol:

Kyberz

Bearcat
kacher1 said:
Most scopes/red dots move groups the same. I remember which way to turn (if the dials are hard to read) by "clockwise the L's." Clockwise left and clockwise lower. :)

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The instructions for elevation and windage were opposite. In other words the top and side adjustment dials as pictured in the instructions were labeled wrong. Top dial is for elevation, NOT windage, and the other way around. Bad translation from Chinese I guess. :D

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
That looks like a good one for a 10/22. I have a Burris Fastfire III on one of my carbines and love the open style red dot. You hardly notice the window frame with the open style, so it really appears as just a red dot floating on the target.
I had the Fastfire on several handguns before switching it to my carbine. They are super fast on a carbine, kinda' slow on a handgun.

DDDWho

Bearcat
I've used red dots on rifles but changed to scopes. For one thing my aging eyes see an hour glass shape of the dot at close relief. I've put a cheap 4X on my 10/22, with it I've shot ground hogs at + or - 100 yards. I see a "dot" when using red dots with handguns because of the longer eye relief. I've put my red dots on handguns with good results.

m657

Buckeye
I have this one:
Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-Red-Dot-Sight_340x340.jpg
on my Target 10/22.....it is wonderful for such as Steel Challenge & any rapid acquisition as long as precision cross-hair X is not needed. I too find out beyond where the dot obscures the end of a can to be the point where it doesn't serve as well.

It is smaller mounted and far less bulky than it seems in any of the photo ads I've seen.

So far, no complaints, after about a year use. Prior to this red dot, I had a full size target 6-24x44 scope mounted....which was marvelous for precise 100 yard practice but too bulky for other kinds of fun.

Latest posts