Inferior firearms vs function and reliability

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
Thank the labor unions for that. ;)

In a world of "them vs. us" the labor union members have become "them" to many of us.
True that.....The worse run of Colts ever was right after the United Auto Workers logo began being printed on the Colt boxes back in the 70's. I'm talking canted sights, barrels off-centered in the slides, D-frame revolvers that wouldn't reliably fire in DA mode....you name it...And who can forget the re-introduction of their old black-powder revolvers, which as it turned out, were actually being assembled from Uberti parts with finishes applied by Iver Johnson....LOL, what a joke...Oh well, so much for the so-called "inferior" firearms myth, eh?

DGW

That right there is the main reason.
If they were made in America they would be up there with the rest of them .
I have never heard of a company going overseas because something can be made better. They go overseas because it is cheaper.
Pretty sure they started out because they were making guns for local use and eventually went commercial. The originals were all hand fitted and finished made from left over WWII scrap metal. They've come a long way.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I have the tiny billboard version ... and I was able to mostly erase it. It's not engraved or stamped. Picked it up locally with 52 rounds down the pipe and the checkered Colt grips already installed. I removed the ambi safety and full length guide rod it came with in favor of GI parts. I kept the skeletonized hammer and trigger. Great shooter!

1911a1.jpg

BE9701-A1-BCE2-4473-9236-D23533108-F32-zpseihq246l.jpg

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I found a 1/2 price sale at Sportsman's for the XDM-Elite by Springfield Armory. Bought on the spur of the moment. It came with two mags but, evidently, someone had put the wrong ones in the box! They would NOT seat. I e-mailed SA customer service. They agreed to send me two replacements. Arrived yesterday and everything is great! GREAT customer service and a great feeling gun! Get my RIA and I'll be hitting the range!!
Just back from vacation. Went in to do my paperwork and start the clock (usually 7-10 days). Got a phone call I had been cleared in about an hour and a half!!

I have never heard of a company going overseas because something can be made better. They go overseas because it is cheaper.
My Charles Daly was made in the Philippines and is as good as any other 1911 I have ever shot. As I posted earlier, untold number of rounds through it, over many years, without one problem.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Labor cost is the largest controllable expense for business. When the average worker is getting $5.00 per hour in Turkey and $25.00 per hour in the U.S. like kind goods can be made for much less.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
My Charles Daly was made in the Philippines and is as good as any other 1911 I have ever shot. As I posted earlier, untold number of rounds through it, over many years, without one problem.
I am glad you are happy with it , but you will never convince me they make them in the Philippines because they make them better.
They make them in the Philippines , because it is cheaper than making them here.

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
Spend your money where you want.
I personally , would rather keep my money in America whenever possible.
I buy Ruger products exclusively (handguns). I do buy Turkish shotguns. The point was that just because a gun is not made in America doesn't mean it sucks (Glock, Beretta. H&k along with many other manufacturers would disagree).

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I buy Ruger products exclusively (handguns). I do buy Turkish shotguns. The point was that just because a gun is not made in America doesn't mean it sucks (Glock, Beretta. H&k along with many other manufacturers would disagree).
I never said anything sucks.
All I said was that they were made in other countries because it was cheaper.

I am not sure why there is a problem understanding that.

el caminero

Single-Sixer
The fellow making them in the phillippines, has been making them a long time, and charles daly is just one of the customisers who use them as the base chassis. Rumour from years ago, his steel is superior due to being old battleship steel, and he got so good that the maschining is consistent enough to get Rock Island stamped on it. There was a story attatched to a particular bloc of pistols, years ago, that they were from a sunken ( scuttled) german warship in south america.

Last edited:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
1. Mis-spoke. It's the Ultra. My Springfield Armory is the Elite.
2. Sportsman's had a sale. I think is was under $400 (?)=I wanna say $399 (?). Got the Springfield Armory at about the same time. For some reason, Sportsman's Warehouse had them right after each other for about 1/2 off. I didn't open an account, so I don't remember.
3. Wife did taxes and told me to pick something out and I've been debating for 3 days about getting a RIA BBR but decided against it because I already have 3 45's, one 45 Colt, 2 10mm, a 357 and 2 357 Sigs, so I'm pretty well covered! Decided to pay down a credit card instead!

dhains1963

Single-Sixer
1. Mis-spoke. It's the Ultra. My Springfield Armory is the Elite.
2. Sportsman's had a sale. I think is was under $400 (?)=I wanna say $399 (?). Got the Springfield Armory at about the same time. For some reason, Sportsman's Warehouse had them right after each other for about 1/2 off. I didn't open an account, so I don't remember.
3. Wife did taxes and told me to pick something out and I've been debating for 3 days about getting a RIA BBR but decided against it because I already have 3 45's, one 45 Colt, 2 10mm, a 357 and 2 357 Sigs, so I'm pretty well covered! Decided to pay down a credit card instead!
Off topic question for you. What do you think of the glock 43x?

Latest posts