I'm thinking of a Mini in 6.8

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wunbe

Buckeye
Only a few made and they are scarce. Ruger used the wrong chanbering 6.8 Rwemingotn SPC instead of the 6.8 SPC II and some hotter rounds blew up ARs configured like the Rugers. It is however an easy fix to rechamber the factory rifle to 6.8 SPC II.

For more info check out the 6.8 site.

wunbe

I don't have a 6.8 Mini but I do have a 6.8 AR. I really like it but it ha very limited use in my "stable".
I took the 6.8 deer hunting during our antlerless season and it worked great. 150 yards broadside, full penetration just behind front leg, the doe ran less than 100 yards with a significant blood trail. Very little recoil for a game cartridge capable of this performance with adequate accuracy to get the job done.
I started the project in hopes of finding a decent hunting round for my Grandkids and feel this is the one. As for the limited use: I have numerous rifles that do other tasks better than the 6.8 so it really is a "one trick pony" for me.

wunbe

Buckeye
sliclee,

Who was the word from? I bet the info ultimately came from one of the big gun manufacturers who drank the poisoned cool aid early on.

The major gun makers have all stuck with the first SAAMI dimensions sent in by Remington. (Yeah, Remington which has screwed up more good rounds than any six of their rivals and this is just another example.) The bigs are all out of business in terms of making new rifles for the 6.8 round now. But the smaller gun makers are making mostly 6.8 SPC IIs and still churning them out.

wunbe

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Most ammo sold for the 6.8 is not the higher pressure SPC II ammo. Factory ammo should work just fine in the Ruger 6.8.
The chamber and the rifling twist rate was modified for the SPC II round.

wunbe

Buckeye
Rught.

One more clarification. There is no factory ammo made especially for the SPC II because it is not necessary. The difference in the chamberings between the 6.8 SPC Remington and 6.8 SPC II is small enough not to require dedicated ammo but important enough to insure ARs can safely handle all the ammo loads out there.

Also the SPC II rifles' 1 in 11 or 12 rifling also does give an accuracy edge over the SAAMI standard 1 in 10 twist but rechambering alone will not likely help much and the MINi is hardly in the runni g a s an accuracy platform anyway.

wunbe

DGW1949

Hunter
wunbe said:
Rught.

One more clarification. There is no factory ammo made especially for the SPC II because it is not necessary. The difference in the chamberings between the 6.8 SPC Remington and 6.8 SPC II is small enough not to require dedicated ammo but important enough to insure ARs can safely handle all the ammo loads out there.

Also the SPC II rifles' 1 in 11 or 12 rifling also does give an accuracy edge over the SAAMI standard 1 in 10 twist but rechambering alone will not likely help much and the MINi is hardly in the runni g a s an accuracy platform anyway.

wunbe

Amen to that.
If one has an "as issued" Mini in ANY caliber/chambering which can keep 10 rounds within 2.5"-3" circle @ 100 Yds, and do it time after time, day after day...he can purty-much figure that he's got a good-shootin' gun.
As to your point about Ruger's choice of chamber dimensions and twist rates relative to the Mini platform...I must say that I've sometimes wondered "what in the world they were thinking". :lol: :lol: :lol: .

DGW

sliclee

Single-Sixer
I think Ruger expected everyone to follow them only it didn't perform.
The new 68 spc11 ballistically puts out. The rifles in semi are EXPENSIVE.

I have an AR in 6.8 SPC II with 1 in 11 twist and it is very nice. I reload for it and find that I can achieve respectable accuracy. I started off in 2008 buying an upper with the early chambering. With factory ammunition it performed well but I did not like what I was discovering about the new chambering advantages. So, I sold that upper and selected a SPC II Armalite upper. The SPC II allows for longer overall lengths that supports more powder. I feel like I have an AR that is suitable for most small game and hogs. I had high hopes that Ruger would follow the trend but they did not. I understand why. Seems like their introduction into this chambering came at a point when the first chambering was the SAMMI standard. Once the dust settled with SPC II they just walked away. The Mini's that are out there now are demanding a high price. I can not see spending the money when all I need is an AR upper and I am all set. Now, if I came across one at the right price, I would not hesitate. I would shoot factory loads from Hornady and have no concerns. I can load for the older specs also so it would just be a matter of keeping track of ammunition types.

Bill

wunbe

Buckeye
"30 cal, heavier bullet that you can push almost as fast."

True but only up to a point. The 6.8 across its range of commercial ammo is far more useful and reliable as a hunting tool. The Russian round is a spray and pray 'wounding' offering while the 6.8 was designed to be accurate and more lethal than the .223 at longer ranges despite the smaller weight ammo used.

Most commercial ammo for the 6.8 ranges ranges from 90 to 120 grains. The mini 30 handles 120--160 grains ammo.

Only for the 6.8's highest weight and Mini 30's lowest weight bullets -- @ 120 grains -- is the statement above true. But the low end of the 6.8 spc II offerings is way faster and seriously lethal on deer and wild hogs out to 200-250 yards. And the highest weight Russian rounds drop way off in muzzle velocity, while the heaviest 6.8 pc II 120 grain bullets still clip along as a reliable meat-maker at longer range.

wunbe

Jeff Michel

Bearcat
COSteve said:
Rather than a 6.8 for the Mini, I'd suggest you get a Mini-30 instead. 30 cal, heavier bullet that you can push almost as fast. It has the advantage of having a ton of commercial ammo makers producing 125grn class ammo for it. While I'd caution against trying Wolf or Tulo in it as their hard, deep seated primers don't always light off, most other ammo will shoot through it with no issues. Not a wildcat rd, proper chamber and twist for the ballistics, and great availability of commercial, both plinking and hunting.

I did exactly this. I couldn't wait to ditch my 6.8 and replaced it with a Mini 30 Tactical. The 6.8 was expensive to feed and worst than usual accuracy (even by Mini standards) My Mini 30 runs everything including Tula and Wolf without a bobble and run around 2'' groups at 100.