Identification and Original Parts - New Member

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sfrye

Bearcat
I just purchased a used Single-six three screw with SN 801497 (in .22 caliber). This is my first SA Ruger revolver. Can anyone tell me when this was built. Also, it has the safety bar conversion on it, but did not come with the original box or original parts. I believe I have found the majority of parts, but wanted to see if anyone could give me a list of conversion parts to ensure I am not missing anything.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Attachments

• Old Model Single Six 001.jpg
    Old Model Single Six 001.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 53

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

You can look up the serial number on Ruger's web site.
Also, here's info on an excellent resource on ALL Ruger firearms.

After you have 10 posts you can use the free Classified Section here and place a Want To Buy ad for the parts you need.

sfrye

Bearcat
Thanks. I tried Ruger's serial number lookup, but it didn't return anything. I also messaged Ruger to ask.
I will definitely check out RENE

hittman

Staff member
It's on Ruger's site.
When it says they're unable to locate your number it means you have an OLD model gun. There's a box right under that message you can click on and select the model of your gun to get the results. That's for guns made before 2000.

welcome to the forum ,good info above, and as Hondo points out there is a difference, easy enough to spot as the top, front of the 'face; of the SingleSix hammer comes to a point( sharp edge) and the one for the Super Single Six has a "flat" cut on top, to help clear the rear adjustable sight if it would be screwed all the way down........
the old model 'parts' set consists of these same basic parts, just a bit difference in the hammers, and the center pins between models,,,,, these are for a Blackhawk.......

now the trick is to put 'contenders' numbers, with a the name of the parts.....:unsure:;)

Attachments

• 1958 44 ft lockwork left.JPG
    1958 44 ft lockwork left.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 40

sfrye

Bearcat
Recognize that there are two different original hammers, one is taller for the single six and the other is short for the super single six (adjustable rear sight).
Good call-out, I appreciate that knowledge

Last edited:

sfrye

Bearcat
welcome to the forum ,good info above, and as Hondo points out there is a difference, easy enough to spot as the top, front of the 'face; of the SingleSix hammer comes to a point( sharp edge) and the one for the Super Single Six has a "flat" cut on top, to help clear the rear adjustable sight if it would be screwed all the way down........
the old model 'parts' set consists of these same basic parts, just a bit difference in the hammers, and the center pins between models,,,,, these are for a Blackhawk.......

now the trick is to put 'contenders' numbers, with a the name of the parts.....:unsure:;)
Where does that spring and plunger go?

..sfrye, the spring and the plunger are for the trigger return, goes in the frame of the old models, behind the trigger itself...........the safety update calls for a different poundage spring ,so they change it................one part that we often use in a "change back to OM" if you do NOT have the original "pawl" for YOUR gun, then you can use the pawl in the new update , and it will work,,,as this is still "fit & timed" to YOUR guns cylinder ratchets............some even use the 'new' trigger' just grind off the rear leg...............any doubt , have a gun smith check it out for you to check the timing........as noted above much is covered in a many different on line videos......... ;)

sfrye

Bearcat
..sfrye, the spring and the plunger are for the trigger return, goes in the frame of the old models, behind the trigger itself...........the safety update calls for a different poundage spring ,so they change it................one part that we often use in a "change back to OM" if you do NOT have the original "pawl" for YOUR gun, then you can use the pawl in the new update , and it will work,,,as this is still "fit & timed" to YOUR guns cylinder ratchets............some even use the 'new' trigger' just grind off the rear leg...............any doubt , have a gun smith check it out for you to check the timing........as noted above much is covered in a many different on line videos......... ;)
Wonderful. I was thinking it was the trigger return spring but your explanation clarified things for me. Thank you for the feedback!

...sounds good, heck its summer time and we are not that far away. stop by next months' Berea ,Ohio gun show.. you ever get out this way , call ,stop in and I'll put the parts in it for you, got 'em all here.........:cool:;)

You have any cousins over here named Dale??????:unsure:

Last edited:

sfrye

Bearcat
...sounds good, heck its summer time and we are not that far away. stop by next months' Berea ,Ohio gun show.. you ever get out this way , call ,stop in and I'll put the parts in it for you, got 'em all here.........:cool:;)

You have any cousins over here named Dale??????:unsure:
Berea is a bit of a haul, I'm in central Indiana.
No one named Dale that I know personally, biwe do have descendants that settled in Ohio as well.

Latest posts