Idaho Spring Bear Hunt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sixshot

Buckeye
We just returned from our spring bear hunt, myself, 2 of my married son's & 4 of my grandson's went for several days. I had a tag but turned it in & had the Fish & Game give it to my 13 yr. old grandson Mason. He has been on many bear hunts & probably seen at least 100 bears in the last 3-4 years but this would be his first hunt.
The other grandson with a tag, 14 yr. old Brock has also seen many, many bears & both were practiced up & ready to go. We always do spot & stalk & have a special spot that has produced many outstanding bears over the years.
After a little last minute shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse in Idaho Falls we were off for the week. Arriving after dark we set up camp, built a large fire & enjoyed a great meal around the campfire.
Tuesday morning it was all business & in 20 minutes we had spotted the first bear, a nice mature cinnamon phase boar. After a 45 minute stalk & a mixup in communications Brock missed him at 322 yds with his 7mm magnum. Just a few minutes later my son Travis & his son Mason were on a big black one for a short time before he caught there scent & busted out on them. After catching up to them we spotted a mature size chocolate phase bear starting to feed out of the timber into an open meadow.
He seemed a bit nervous & went in & out a couple of times. They decided to try a stalk & went down the mountain, crossed a small stream & climbed up to where we had decided they should try to get to for a shot. The bear was still feeding until just before they got there & then he fed out of sight into some jack pines. We had talked earlier about maybe trying to call him if he went back into the timber, Travis tried but he seemed spooked by the calling & Shane told us later that he watched him slowly run off, away from where they were calling.
Day Two we saw what looked to be a black sow with a single cinnamon cub, the cub was a second year cub, not a new born. Single cubs are rare, most likely she had more than one but it had died or maybe been killed by a large male, who knows. Its very common for sows to have 2,3 or even 4 cubs & those cubs will den with their mother the first winter, then she will run them off around May or June & breed again.
Day Three, I didn't go out, after my back surgery 2 years ago I ended up with a crippled right foot & now my hunting boots bruise my foot when I ride my 4 wheeler so I stayed in camp with my 6 yr. grandson Porter.
Can't remember how many bears were spotted but Mason had a grin on his face as big as Texas, he had whacked a really nice black bear, just under 6 feet with his 270 & a 130 Hornady at 242 yds, its a beauty, big head, well furred, great claws & a true trophy. He said he wasn't nervous but his gun sure was shaking!

A really nice bear using his sling that was a gift from friend Mike Barranti, this was our 23 bear taken spot & stalk.

contender

Ruger Guru
"The Tales From Soda" have returned!
:D :D :D

An excellent story, and we await the rest of it. Congrats to Mason! A fine bear & I see another "meathammer" in the making!

sixshot

Buckeye
We hunted a total of 4 days & saw 12 bears, I think the boys made stalks on 6-7 of them & usually got busted by the wind. In the mountains the wind is always changing & you have to be fast, lucky & accurate.....or you can hunt from above them & increase your odds by a huge margin, although thats not always a slam dunk either.
Being level or above a deer, elk, moose or bear in steep mountain terrain is most often the best way to approach an animal without being winded. The times when it doesn't work is very early in the morning & very late in the evening, thats when air is heavy & going down hill, keep that in mind when making a stalk & your odds go way up.
On thursday evening it started to rain & it rained most of the night, although a bear will feed in the rain they won't feed nearly as long & so its always a good hunt after a storm, Brock & his dad knew that friday afternoon was going to be a great time to be back up on our favored moutainside glassing for bears.
I was still nursing a sore foot so me & Porter stayed in camp while the other 5 headed out to find Brock a shooter bear. This time of year you can hunt until 8:30 & usually be back to camp around 9pm or shortly after, I told Porter if it was any later then they would be skinning a bear in the dark.
Porter had a fire going & at 10PM I started the generator & told Porter we might as well go to bed, they were going to be late. Just before 11pm we heard them pull in & Brock broke the news, they had spotted 3 different boars, 2 chocolate phase & a really nice dark cinnamon colored bear that ended up going 6 foot, a great trophy & his second bear & he's only 14 years old! This makes our 24th bear for me, my son's & grandson's, all taken spot & stalk. Hunting bears this way is probably the most exciting hunt you will ever experience in your life, sharing it with a son or grandson is a life changing event.

These boys have all been given Barranti slings & they love them, thanks Mike! Brocks bear taken at 203 yards with his 7mm Magnum & a 139 gr. Hornady SST loaded by Grandpa! Look at the size of the front paws on this big boy!

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
This was absolutely the biggest double cheese burger we had ever seen in our lives, it was an honest 6" tall, as tall as our soft drink glasses! Me, Shane, Travis & Ridge all ate ours & wanted Boysenberry pie! The cook actually had to come out & talk to us about who could eat one of those monsters. You couldn't bite down on one, you had to eat it from the side. They were as good as they were big!

Dick

sixshot

Buckeye
Here's the whole crew minus Porter, he was in the house playing with the 6 lizards he brought home!

If you plan a do it yourself bear hunt plan on doing a lot of glassing, let the glasses do your walking, in bear country you'll be burned out in one day trying to cover some of central Idaho's prime country. Much of Idaho is a 2 bear limit, even for non residents.

Dick

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Good job! I love to see these kind of pics and stories…..continuing the traditions.

Thanks for putting a big smile on my face. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh, the "Rest of the Story" as Paul used to say. Congrats to Brock as well!

The Thompson clan is a great bunch! Fine family pic there, even with a few missing!

sixshot

Buckeye
Although I didn't plan on shooting a bear I did have my Alan Harton 480 with me at all times, you never know when a coyote or badger might want to call me some bad names. I never fired a shot but I love carrying it in my Barranti Northwest Hunter Rig.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
It pays to be prepared, just like the BSA motto. That rig is excellent. And, your rig is why I ordered mine. Very comfortable, easy to use, and puts the gun where you need it.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Wonderful!

I love these photo essays! I am seriously giving thought to retirement in Idaho. Everything I read during internet research says it's terrific.