I lucked into a bh 357 MAXIMUM 10.5" from 82-84. WOW

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I started a post on blueing from Ruger and it has changed drastically. It is now about anyone who knows the Maximum.
I have cut/paste the text from there to start here:

OK the guns a 357 Maximum not Magnum.
And that means it has to be only 82-84 ish.

If I had sent it to Ruger, they would have kept it! It has a recall on it for many years, hence only two years of production. They offer you a trade. It could get flame cut above the breech from reloaders light bullets (below 124g). They were getting big time high velocity (1800fps+) by using heavy loads as well as too light bullets. It was intended for hunters and silhouette (Heavy bullets).

So my question as a newbie, I think I withdraw.

This SBH 357 Maximum is Spectacular! I think its a tank. around 10,000 made. 5,000 destroyed. Don't do anything stupid and it should last 4 lifetimes. It was actually made and sold big time as a 44 mag frame.

Will somebody please tell me this is a dumb azz move on my part! Should I send it to the fires of Mount Doom to be destroyed like the ring instead?

I really need some help if I keep it. I have never seen Maximum ammo ever and my favorite is 357 Magnum. Does everyone order on-line?
Ouch on those prices.

Prescut

48flyer

Single-Sixer
Be glad you decided not to send it in.
Learn to reload and you'll be fine, otherwise just shoot Magnums in it. It'll be fun.
If you decide to part with it, let me know.
Oh, and get Coogs the serial number. (He'll be along shortly to explain.)

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
Why in God's name would you consider sending it in, when you can more than likely trade or sell up/into whatever you want?

As for ammo, .357 Max is a handloaders dream...

Coogs

Maximum
First of all congrats on your luck! Ruger WILL NOT keep it if you send it in. There IS a POSSIBILITY that they did that in the past, but not now. I have spent time on the phone w/Ruger and have had e-mails from them stating that they will not keep it. First of all if you were to want to send it in for repair you would have to contact Ruger for a Return Authorization. When you go to do this they won't send you one in the first place as they ........"no longer support that Model" If you were to want to send it in for a blue job, they may take it in, give you a quote, and if you don't like it and want it sent back, they WILL send it back. Back in the day, mid to late 80's, there was all kinda stories floating around about buyback, confiscation, trade in, etc., etc. They still persist today. I have NOT been able to DOCUMENT one story as of today. Doesn't mean it may not have happened (I hope some one can document one for me!) But, I am a doubting Thomas. If you do need any work done on it there are a few good smiths out there that have some experience with the Max, Linbaugh, Reeder and Huntington to name a few. Hopefully you do handload. That is the best way to go with the Max round. Stay with slow burning powders like 4227 and heavy bullets, 180 gr. and heavier. You can also shoot .357 Mag and .38 specials in it, just keep your cylinder clean if you then go to use the Max round. If you do shoot the Max round you WILL see top strap flame cutting appear. It will not progress after about a 1000 rds. or so. There were 16,314 serialized frames for the Max produced, hard to determine exactly how many guns were completed before Ruger decided to SCRAP over 5000. If you enjoy shooting, KEEP IT! They are great experience and in my opinion, well worth the investment, Coogs. PS........as stated above, get me your serial number, Thanks

welcome to the Forum, and yes you got yourself a fine gun, and can shoot about ANYTHING that you can put in the chambers ( my friend does!!) yes, it is built like a "tank"..........
good luck and yes by all means contact 'coogs' to give him the serial number, he has a bunch of them, and is OUR "resident Maximum" guy.................. :wink:

as for "bluing" there are many GOOD smiths , and gunshops that can easily do the Ruger finish.....our old shop did many,many over the years and my gunsmith Walter is still going on. , specializes in the "old models" and matching their finish........let me know and I can get you his number, yes, you should "price shop" as well as get ANY references, or see their work, upfront. Factory is good but they are not "cheap" any longer, used to be the best deal in town, but I have seen some that do NOT meet up to our "specs" likes or finish, too many blue over some pitting. A job worht doing , is doing RIGHT....... :roll: :wink:

Prescut, Congratulations on finding a very fun gun to shoot. I hope you reload and at least find some ammo at a gun show. The brass is relatively easy to find with a little persistance, and the results of a session at the reloading bench well worth the effort. I do shoot 158lgc and 160gr JSP bullets in mine as well as 180s, and the flame cutting is present but not deep, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. And is nowhere near what would be considered dangerous or harmful to the gun.
Coogs is collecting the serial #s of known guns in a data base and does not keep the owner's names associated with the ser#s so please let him know the full number so he can record it for Ruger Posterity.
Can you post a photo of your prize?

Prescut

Single-Sixer
WoW. Thanks for the replies. You guys are great. Yes, I'm keeping it. Coogs, you are one storehouse of information. thanks much.
I will continue on the blueing options. great suggestions. Would that hurt resale? The issue was raised over on the Ruger Collectors forum.
I will post photos, i need help. I saw the img choice in the editor, but nothing about downloading??

thanks again, you really know how to make a newbie feel welcome.

Prescut

toroflow

Single-Sixer
I believe re-bluing it will hurt collector value. If it were mine, I'd just shoot it and enjoy it (not re-blue it).

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have a couple of dozen cartridges or even brass cases? I have spent 4 hours scouring the net. Calling everyone. leaving "notify me" everywhere. I am usually really good at finding shooter stuff, not this one.

Prices are outrageous, but willing to pay just to get a few rounds downrange.
any help, ideas, links, or pointing will be appreciated.

thanks
Prescut

Coogs

Maximum
Pres, may be able to spare some brass, won't be able to get back to you about it until tomorrow or maybe even Sunday, I'll let ya know, Coogs.

all I can say is if the gun is PROPERLY "restored" ( Not a simple REBLUE) no one would or could,be able to see the difference, a gun that LOOKS reblued,most likely was...if there are issues then there is nothing wrong with making it NICE for yourself.........some nice guns we have even pulled the parts that needed to be "redone, replaced or repaired" as need and put them back on the gun,same thing ,if done RIGHT, cannot tell..............you try and sell a gun that is "boogered" and interest and value drops very fast and major.............I wish I had a dollar for every 10.5 inch that our shop cut down for folks over the years, NO_ONE cared about ANY "future" collectors value ,nor interest; heck, I recall back when we had Hawkeyes in stock and could NOT get rid of them for $86.50 apiece.................

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Zanders Sporting Goods did have Jamison Brass and Ammunition .357 Max (SuperMag) in stock. I will look at inventory in a few minutes. 158 Grain JHP - Prowler Grade Ammunition, what ever that is. Vel. = 1,825 FPS - Energy = 1,165 Ft/Lbs. I just took this right off the box from my pile. I have shot these and seemed O.K. I have been a slug hunter many years. Ho Hum compared to 12 gauges.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Sir I have posted this when it was in stock. It seemed there wasn't much interest SO I quit posting availably. They DO NOT have any brass or loaded ammo in inventory. You can only have a dealer purchase these items for you. I would help if you are close to SOUTHERN ILLINOIS. I am not selling any of my inventory. I searched like you and found some.

Coogs

Maximum
Pres, just to let you know, .357 Maximum ammo and .357 SuperMag ammo are not the same! The Max case is shorter than the Super mag. While the Max ammo may be shot in guns marked Super Mag the Super Mag ammo IS longer and should not chamber in .357 Max guns due to OAL. I should get around to lookin today and let you know about some brass. Coogs.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Hey Coogs,
You are a scholar and a gentleman. I can't say thank you enough for your offer to share your personal stash. If you get to SAR or the SHOT show, I would love to buy you a beverage of your choosing and swap a few tales.
Big Beasly aimed me toward a GB auction and I got all 3 boxes with buy it now. I got a rush shipment on it and I should shoot it this week. So Coogs, thanks again for the offer, but I think I'm set for now.

WOW. This is one hell of a site and with real character. Most sites just have characters.

Thanks everybody and I will supply some pics of the new pistola and maybe some shooting.

Prescut

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Local gun shop had new brass he is closed this weekend gone fishing, I'll let you know next week if he still has some.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I just ordered a 100 rds for my new 20 inch Encore barrel. Google bellm tc and you will find much great info on the round out of rifles and handguns. recipes, components and loaded ammo. Good luck and enjoy. kyle

contender

Ruger Guru
Prescut,,,, we do have a nice Forum. And we also have our share of "characters!" Actually, I know Coogs personally, and he qualifies as a character. But,, he is THE MAN when it comes to the 357 Maxi's.
Hang around,,, enjoy this place & especially, enjoy that Maxi!

Another look at the "refinishing" question . . .

To a serious collector, any deviation from "factory original" warrants a reduction in "collector value". This is as true for the exterior finish as it is for overall functional condition and correctness of all the components, many of which can be swapped out for similar bits from different age variations.

As far as exterior finish goes, it is quite possible to have it redone to the point of appearing absolutely "factory original", not able to be identified as a "refinish" at all. The only point for consideration in this regard involves the "value" of the piece after the work is done. If the piece is presented for sale as "original" then a bit of fraud is being perpetrated. The truth is, most of us have seen this happen. It's a sad but true aspect of any collectible genre, not just firearms. And even if one sells his nicely-refinished piece with the understanding that is is not, in fact, fully original, from that point on there's no telling how that piece will be represented in future sales.

I have no qualms about having guns refinished, although I have never had it done to any of mine. I have bought at least one refinished gun that suits me just fine, although it was so well done that I was not aware of the refinish until one of our resident experts pointed it out to me. Fortunately I had not paid "collector" money for it. If I bought a real "beater" for a good price, I'd consider a refinish, but not to the extent of "factory original" simply because I wouldn't want to spend that much money on it. From what I've seen, having the work done by Ruger would be quite satisfactory. I'd leave the question of "yeah, but is that now a "factory" finish?" to the rest of the guys. I'd say "yes, but not original" but that's JMHO.

:) ;) :)

PS Nice find. Congrats.

:mrgreen:

Latest posts