357 maximum load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Contender is right, if you go back and read all the info David Bradshaw has written about the Maxi, it would take you a few days.

I've bookmarked most of his articles. Tomorrow I can turn on the computer and post the links to them here. But it's VERY interesting stuff. He is someone I would love to meet, you get this through his writing.

Oh, and you asked if anyone has used coated bullets with 4227? I have with good results. I haven't tried any of the cast bullets Contender is referring to. Perhaps I can talk him out of some sometime???😀

(I'm not set up to cast either…yet.)

Hk996

Bearcat
Sometimes it's not the gap,, nor the timing. Sometimes the "spitting" of lead is due to a forcing cone issue. A very short or almost no forcing cone can cause spitting.
The cylinder gap issue can cause some spitting,, but I seriously doubt the timing is off.
So I have taken the gun apart and cleaned it and I did notice copper at around 12 o'clock. I cleaned it best I could and it did help for a bit.

After shooting another 20 rounds today, I noticed the copper again. You can see the pic where there is a flake. I tried cleaning with a lewis lead remover kit but there is still a little bit in there.

Any tips to get this any better?

Attachments

• 20230420_172231.jpg
    20230420_172231.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230430_203538.jpg
    20230430_203538.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230430_203646.jpg
    20230430_203646.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 76

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, by the looks of your gun in the pictures, I think your gun could use a gunsmith trip. A CAREFULLY re-cut forcing cone would be my suggestion. It appears the forcing cone on your gun is a little short, and may have been the 5 degree cut.
A good gunsmith, with knowledge of SA's & working a forcing cone would be the place to look.

Hk996

Bearcat
So per suggestions on the forum, I reached out to Jack Huntington. Talked to him and sent my gun to him. He had it back to me in a week and fixed it. He said he just had to rethroat it. (He had extra cylinders to try if needed)

Took it back to the range and it shot great and no "spitting".

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
Greetings from Alpine Arizona. I last Fall I got some 357 Max brass and cartridges in an estate. It's taking up space in my garage. The family took the gun but left some ammo and brass.
Does anyone have any interest in it?

contender

Ruger Guru
Good evening AZGun Guy,

I have an interest. Do you happen to know any of the history of the brass? And what kind of ammo is it?

Thanks,

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
I know the owner was a WW2 Vet who had been in a wheel chair since Korea. He had a ton of memorabilia. There where not die's marked 357Max. I don't know if you can do them off of a 357mag die or not. If not they are probably once fired. I will dig them out and take a picture and post it for you to see. I am new to the forum. I saw this thread and remembered there was a bunch in the box I got. I will post it next week when I am back on the mountain.

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
Well the 357 MAX must be a real hit in NC! I will get the picture online as soon as I can so you can see what I have. Some of it was loaded cartridges if I am remembering correctly. Check back in a few days. Have a great week!

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem on the wait. Until you have more than 10 posts,, you can't use the PM feature. But I do enjoy the Maxi & took a whitetail this past season with it.

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
White tail's are like ticks in the White mountains of East Central AZ. My little town of 178 souls is above 8K feet at the lowest point. The actual mountains
are 3-4k higher. Make the weather changes interesting and sum times sudden...
I am on several forums and mostly just read to learn something of interest. Did not know about 10 posts. Thx I guess the pic's will take up two or three.

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
So do you guy's ever do a competition online? You all shoot your 357 Max's and at 25 or 50 and post pictures of your results? You have to use the same targets!

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
I posted a picture of some 357 Max brass if anyone is interested. Tell me why you like to shoot it so much!

Attachments

• 357 MAX BRASS.jpeg
    357 MAX BRASS.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I've already stated an interest in the brass & all.

Why do I enjoy shooting my Maxi's?

I happen to have several reasons. First,, when the gun was introduced,, I was a big fan of the .357 cal guns. To have one like that truly excited me. Sadly,, my gun funds at that time didn't allow me the ability to get one before they were jerked from the market. So, I had to settle for a T/C Contender barrel in one.
WOW! It was FUN!!!!! And to see people's expressions when I'd produce a round of ammo was (and still is) one of joy. Many still haven't heard of the caliber,, and so far,, everybody I've let shoot any of mine, ALL like them a LOT.
But when I'm shooting,, It's very accurate,,,easily grouping 3"-4" groups at 100 yds. Mild recoil in my hands. And the pleasure of the history of the gun & such. As a collector,, I have a collectable unfired Ruger now,, and also having a pair of T/C barrels (10" & 14") to go with my 10" shooter Ruger,, it just "fits!"

Having copies of the original G&A magazine where David Bradshaw (who helped Bill & Bill Jr develop the gun,) did an excellent article on them,, and later discovering how true he was has made my internet friendship with him even more pleasing. Then, after he & Lee Martin designed a cast lead bullet just for the Maxi,, brought things full circle for me. I have a pair of the original Mountain Molds of the Bradshaw/Martin cast bullet, and have proven to many how accurate they are.

Why do I enjoy shooting them? One of the best ever!

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
3-4" groups at 100 yards with a hand gun is great shooting. I lost count at seven or eight. So this might be my 9 or tenth post. Didn't look into it.

Reach out when you have time to work out the details.

AZGun Guy

Bearcat
Best distance hand gun shooting I ever did was with a Glock 21 45ACP hitting man size steel three out of five times. Not in your league.