I have finally joined the 1911 club

Help Support Ruger Forum:

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
I was fortunate to run across a great deal on a SR1911 today and I can't wait to take it to the range later this week. I have already christened it my 'Bad Motherf****r'. A solid piece of workmanship as I have field stripped it, looked it over, put it back together and repeated the process, as I do with any new firearm.

The only thing that I am questioning is feel of the trigger itself, it seems dainty against the beefiness of the rest of the body. Has anyone here replaced the trigger for something more solid feeling?

Also, are there any mods or swap outs to make this beauty even better? I am already looking at some additional grips and I will need a left handed holster for it.

Phat

Bearcat
tighten the grips good they loosen up. Than go have fun...its a damn good gun out of the box. Might want too move sight pix up a bit if it shoots low But love the thing out of the box. I did do a slight stone/polish job on trigger components but suspect after 500 rounds it would have been the same

Mike J

Hunter
Congrats on the SR 1911. I think you'll like it. There are all kinds of mod.'s you can make but in honesty I haven't messed with mine. It shoots fine just like it is. I have been meaning to get another set of grips but haven't gotten around to it yet.

bowfita

Bearcat
I like black with my stainless and tried the black wood grip from Ruger. I liked them a lot until I tried a friend's rubber grips on his Kimber and had to try them on the SR. I found the rubber Ruger grips, in addition to be non-slip, seemed to be a better fit for my hand. I measured and found that they are slimmer than the original red or black wood grips.

Ruger1911024_zps5f220500.jpg

Ruger1911023_zpsa8e875f9.jpg

Ruger1911025_zps94f0f287.jpg

Mike J

Hunter
If you are left handed the biggest mod I would be considering would be an ambidextrous safety.

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
Mike J said:
If you are left handed the biggest mod I would be considering would be an ambidextrous safety.

That is one of the things that is first on my list. I also will be needing a left hand holster for it as well. Anyone have any recommendations on where to look for a quality LH 1911 holster?

steenroller

Bearcat
I had the Hogue grips with the finger grooves on one of my Springfield 1911's and swapped them to the regular Hogue grips because of the size. I have left the wood grips on my Ruger commander because I like the look and feel of them. As I have posted elsewhere one of the first changes I do is to swap the flat mainspring housing to arched because I like the feel of it, but that is a personal opinion. Overall the Ruger 1911 doesn't need anything done to it except to shoot it. Best thing you can do with a new pistol is to shoot it for a while and then you will know if you need to make any changes or not. You can spend a lot of money that you don't need to quickly.

DaveShooter

Bearcat
papaSR9 said:
Mike J said:

That is one of the things that is first on my list. I also will be needing a left hand holster for it as well. Anyone have any recommendations on where to look for a quality LH 1911 holster?
Simply Rugged Holsters-Check'em out!!!!

mcoe74

Bearcat
Congratulations on your SR1911! Agree with others, they feel and shoot great right out of the box.

I really like my SR1911 CMD. The sole modification I've done was switch the OEM grips (which are appealing) with Hogue wrap around grips.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Congrats on you new SR1911. Those hard rubber grips are not real expensive off the Ruger web site as I recall.

Mike J

Hunter
VA Shooter said:
Im left handed and would like to know how you get an ambidextrous safety on one.

They sell them on rugers website at the shopruger store. I think you could also buy one from brownells. I believe fitting is required so you would have to decide if you wanted to research how to do it yourself or take it to a gunsmith. To be honest I don't know a lot about this I would suggest you research before making a decision which way to go.