I had an OOPS today-nothing terrible

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I was hanging around the house today because a trucker was supposed to deliver a load of gravel(he didn't show) and decided to do some bore sighting and test firing while waiting. The wind was pretty strong but I was only looking for a short range zero on a couple of 300AAC AR pistols. Between #1 and #2 a gust blew the poster off the backstop so I thought I'd just throw a few shots at the steel handgun target @ 65 yards. Shouldn't be a problem. I sent the first one and the target clanged and swung from what appeared to be a center hit so I fired the remaining 3 shots with similar results.
After clearing the gun, I walked down to see how close to middle I was but as I got closer I could see light through the target. Surprisingly, the lightweight V-Max 'varmint' bullets had sailed right through the 3/8" thick steel rather than the expected 'splash'. Turns out the gun is pretty accurate as the interconnecting holes of the 4 bullets had literally eaten the center out of the target.
Oh well I've got a 3# hammer, an anvil, and a welder. I've been wanting to make one of those center hole shot targets (you know the ones with a smaller swinger behind a center hole in the main target) so this is that opportunity. I later remembered that my intent to replace that target with an AR500 plate had gotten sidetracked last fall.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've had people shoot various rifle rounds at some of my steel, not knowing the limitations of the steel,, or the fact that a lot of "normal bullets in normal calibers" can punch steel.

Now,, go make a specialty target out of it!

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Yupper, I already have the small 'flipper' so only need to cut the shot up center out nice and smooth and fabricate the hanger for the flipper. I used to go through steel plates fairly often but can't shoot as much as I used to due to this bum shoulder.

+

BRL

Single-Sixer
I did a similar thing with a pig shaped steel target and a .30-06, what I thought was lead splatter turned out to be a hole.

Then I left the hillside in the woods and forgot to pick the thing up when I left, never saw it again.

Glad you weren't hurt, small oops's are allowed.

Latest posts