I added a side folding stock to my 10/22 Takedown

Help Support Ruger Forum:

marklestrange

Bearcat
Wow that does sound difficult ... we have to add the silencer in a 'slot' on the gun licence, but that is about it.

If it makes you feel better .22 is the largest 'semi-automatic' rifle (shotgun regs are different) one can buy in the UK and there is a complete blanket ban on all handguns, so much so even our Olympic team had to go abroad to train. Also whatever you pay for a gun and even gun accessories in the US you can about double it and add 10% to get the UK price :-(

I'd say we have pretty much total UK population agreement here though that guns are for hunting and there is no 'self-defence' of 'right to bare arms' lobby at all. You have to be without a criminal record, show you have land or landowners permission to shoot on land, have the police over to inspect secure storage for your guns and ammo and pay about $80 every five years for a licence. The gun homicide rate in the US is 40x higher as a %age of population than that of England and Wales so the arguments and concerns here are somewhat different. I'm not therefor saying in any way how you guys should run your country or your gun laws, I'm just saying things are different here.

But that difference will allow me to get a 12 inch (+) cut down barrel with an over barrel silencer fitted without having to get further permits or pay any fees :)

I have spent maybe 50 hours now researching the 10/22 TDR and looking at (cheep) mods and improvements I could make to get me the ultimate pack down rabbit gun, that I can carry in a motorcycle top box. I'm hungry to read other's experiences and projects with this model and this forum seems to be one of the best places to do that.

floodrunner

Bearcat
Hi guys, I'm new here. I stumbled on this forum while researching exactly what this thread is about, swapping stocks on a new TD. While this discussion has offered invaluable insite into the subject I still have a few questions/concerns that I know the contributors here will have opinions on. Hopefully this thread isn't too old to revive.

First, let me say that I'm also mounting a rail on the receiver to accept a BSA Sweet 22 scope on quick release rings. The rail will have a center groove so I can (hopefully) pop the scope off if it becomes misaligned or damaged and use the stock sights. For some reason it seems this idea works on some TDs but not on others, but that's the plan. Until finding AGP's website and this forum this morning my choice for a folding butt stock was narrowed down to the stainless Butler Creek but now I'm not so sure. I also like the AGP stock and the ATI modified for TD but it appears to me the Butler Creek has a much slimmer profile when folded and with the addition of a scope space is an issue. As a left handed shooter I'm also concerned that the ATI's left-folding hinge may be uncomfortable for a left handed grip although I like the pics that show the folded stock about equal in length with the scope. It sure would be easy to turn this into a thousand dollar gun just on AGP's website alone, nice stuff!!

So my questions are these: will the rear portion of the TD fit in the Ruger case (not necessarily in a pouch) with a folded AGP or ATI stock and scope on it? Is ATI's folder comfortable for a left handed grip? What's the difference in "thickness" between the folded Butler Creek, the AGP and the ATI? Thanks for your input!

m657

Buckeye
Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on your TD, I'm a big fan.

Sorry I can't answer your inquiries on the folding option. I've seen a few photos at RFC but don't know anyone who had done such.

CanuckinOntario

Bearcat
Hey scottginfla,

I'd like to get one of those folding stocks you posted in 2012 for my 10/22 takedown. How do I get my hands on one of them?

CanuckinOntario

You buy a Butler Creak or Choate folding stock for a 10/22 and then you cut the fore grip in two at the right place... not that complicated....

then again... with the folding stock you really don't need the take down part.... in my opinion.

ranger1

Buckeye
blume357 said:
then again... with the folding stock you really don't need the take down part.... in my opinion.

+1

005.jpg