Hunting with your Ruger #1 this fall?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
Don Lovel said:
"Bit of inner tube under the barrel" How big of a piece and where does it need to be positioned?

I just used what I had available - a mountain bike inner tube. I cut a piece about 1/2" x 1" and lay it lengthwise at the end of the barrel channel of the forearm. It doesn't seem like much and the original tip I read used a truck tire inner tube, but it seems to work by allowing forearm screw tension to be set up to put some upward pressure on the barrel. It's helped every No. 1 I've done this with.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
My 6.5 x 55 mm Swede # 1 and I will be back up in Northern Wisconsin, stilling trying to find a buck as nice as the one I saw the first day of deer hunting back in what, 2000(?), five minutes after I sat down at the base of a tree on top of little knoll. That time I had a sporterized 96 Swedish Mauser (I like the 6.5 Swede) and along came this buck, not s care in the world, 10 or 12 points(!), wide rack, 75 yards out. And it was 12 degrees and snowing, and the Mauser's safety had frozen up and went "THWACK!" when I pushed it off. That buck went straight up in the air and all I had was a shot up his backside when he hit the ground, already running. Couldn't do it.

Today, well, maybe I would if he wasn't running. The 140 grain 6.5s really do penetrate quite nicely. Still, something just seems wrong about taking that shot.

The No. 1 has that nice, shotgun style, SILENT sliding safety.

Anyway, I'll be happy with any deer, buck or doe. Nice antlers are just icing.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
WebleyMan said:
An RSI in 35 Whelen?!? Didn't even know there was such a thing. That is sweet.

Must be a custom, 35 RSI not issued from factory, although I wish they could do so, especially in SS.

I don't wish to hi-jack the thread. Some more info on the .35 rifle pictured is here if interested:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=190546&hilit=thumper

I know of one other .35 caliber No. 1 RSI - that one a .358 Win version. Both versions reported to be pretty handy on a variety of game.