Hunting with a Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Critch

Single-Sixer
This year we will be allowed to hunt deer during muzzle loading season with a pistol. I'm planning on using my .41 magnum Ruger Blackhawk, I'm using 210 grain Hornady hollowpoint bullet at around 1300 feet per second. is this a sufficient load in ya'lls opinion, is there something better?

Currently the Blackhawk is zeroed for 20 yards, mainly because that's the way my little pistol range works out. I probably need to re-zero it for 25 yards.

I'm not a bad shot, but I'm not really planning on any shots past 25 yards.

years ago, when they first allowed handgun hunting here in Ohio, I had a OM Super BH 44 and when I had the deer in my sights, by the time I got past all the "click, click, click, click" of the action , he was hundreds of yards off in the distance....GOOD luck
(on a cold dec morn, the cocking of the hammer was so loud, it could wake the dead...) :shock:

Critch

Single-Sixer
The loudness of the cocking of the pistol has crossed my mind. I guess all I can do is hope that the deer doesn't notice.

My ideal pistol for this would be a double action Redhawk in 41 magnum, but I don't have that kind of money at this time.

I have a Vaquero in 45 Colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, the 41 is a 6 1/2 barrel.

A Contender in .41 Magnum would be cool...

I was in a ground blind and had a doe about 50 yards out. When she glanced around she never seemed to notice the blind at all. When I cocked my Redhawk she went into a dead stare right at me. Now when in close quarters, mostly tree stands, I have my gun coked and hold it with my thumb between the hammer and the frame. Safe and sound(less).

Cholo

Staff member
rugerguy said:
years ago, when they first allowed handgun hunting here in Ohio, I had a OM Super BH 44 and when I had the deer in my sights, by the time I got past all the "click, click, click, click" of the action , he was hundreds of yards off in the distance....GOOD luck
(on a cold dec morn, the cocking of the hammer was so loud, it could wake the dead...) :shock:

You've sure got that right! My hearing's so bad that I can't hear a deer unless it's calm and within 50yds from me. In the 90's I hunted with my '79 SBH. I spooked so many deer with it that they'd land in the next county without even touching the ground :shock: I learned to leave it cocked on a towell next to me on the ground. I ended up buying a S&W M29 Classic and put a Leupold 2x scope on it. I had Rusty Sherrick make me a cross draw holster out of cowhide. What a piece of art! I quit deer hunting soon after and that S&W hasn't been shot since. It sure was quieter though!

contender

Ruger Guru
That Blackhawk will be just fine for you,, even out beyond 25 yds. Try longer ranges if you can, (before the hunt.) Your load & all is well capable of taking a deer.
As for those who mentioned the clicking sounds of the action,,, here's a trick,,! The very moment you see a deer, even if you are not sure you are going to get a shot,, carefully & slowly cock the gun. Then, for safety,, place your off hand thumb across the gap between the hammer & frame. When you decide to take the shot,, it's an easy shift of your off hand to a comfortable grip.

Good Luck!

Most of the noise in cocking an old model can be avoided by holding the trigger back while slowly bringing the hammer to full cock, then release the trigger and slowly let the hammer down………just 2 not so loud clicks this way. It's still best to have it cocked and held in a safe manner well before you need it if possible.

Dennis.

Merlin1274

Bearcat
I cock mine and lay it on the seat next to me. I have thought about a should holster. Then I can cock it and leave it holstered. That way the trigger is covered.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
Practice out to 50 yards. Cock your hammer as soon as you see your target or when the target is at a distance. As said hold the trigger back when cocking. I hold the cocked BH in my left hand with my thumb between the hammer and firing pin. No gloves to impede dexterity.

My last handgunned buck was taken at 51 yards, DRT, with 45 Colt Bisley.

Sapo

Scott

Single-Sixer
my "M.O." is the same as contenders - cock my .45BH as soon as I hear one. Usually have it sitting on my lap until then.My only successful white tail was at about 40 yards. That's about the maximum I practice on any regular basis and can hit a small enough area regularly to be confident. I pass up a lot of shots that the rifle guys would take. For me the biggest trick is seeing/hearing them before they see me. And, needing to be so close, either waiting for them to get close, or "sneaking" close enough to them. I've had a couple "almost" shots so far this year, but no meat in the freezer yet. I'm also looking forward to the "alternate" method season, where we can use handguns.

One question; my BH is stainless, and I wonder how much that affects a whitetail being able to see the glint of the gun. Anyone have experience with that?

BearBio

Buckeye
I've taken wild hogs and deer with handguns, mostly revolvers. Took one 180 pound hog at about 300 yards (missed him at 50 yards)=using a 35 Remington Contender 14". I've used 41, 44 and 45 Colt on hogs and 44 mag on deer. Assuming you are hunting in Missouri, and not big western mule deer, your load should work well. I would definitely move the target out to 50 yards, maybe 75. You really shouldn't see much, if any, difference between the calibers=1300 fps in any of those calibers should be fine. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a bear with that (black bear).

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Merlin1274 said:
I cock mine and lay it on the seat next to me. I have thought about a should holster. Then I can cock it and leave it holstered. That way the trigger is covered.
With all due respect, this sounds like the words of a future Darwin Award winner. :shock:

Merlin1274

Bearcat
Well with all do respect. I'm far from that. Shoulder holster has a strap that holds the gun in place so my thought process is make sure thatstrap is between the hammer fire pin. Works like keeping your thumb there. Maybe I should have explained it better to people who want to be smart...

GaryA

Single-Sixer
"With all due respect, this sounds like the words of a future Darwin Award winner."

I have to admit thinking the same thing. I would not want to be puttering around with a loaded and cocked Blackhawk in a shoulder holster. I don't think anyone was trying to be smart. The description was incomplete.

Hugh

Buckeye
You may recall why the good Doctor in Scotland invented the percussion cap. A reminder, when hunting water fowl he would cock his flintlock and pull the trigger. When the powder in the pan went poof and before the charge was ignited and shot was on the way, the birds flew. The good Doctor had enough of that stuff and he invented the percussion cap. Then there was only the clicks of the hammer being drawn and the trigger being pulled; the cap ignited the charge and shot was on the way, without the poof. The ducks had to develop some new coping skills.

And there you are with click click click click bang. The deer have those great big direction finding ears for a reason.

Enjoy your handgun hunting.

Merlin1274

Bearcat
The posts were explaining how they handle their gun in the stand. I would not be "Puttering around" with a cocked weapon that has no safety.
But you are correct. The post did not explain well. For that I understand the response.

Now back to the OP..

I will be hunting with mine the rest of the deer season..

Merlin1274

Bearcat
I know.. Sometimes I let things get under my skin..
But the Darwin thing did not sit well. I can take corrective criticism but that wasn't corrective. But did make me realize I did not explain that well.. So life goes on..