Humongous, picture-heavy motorcycle trip report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I had four days off work for the holiday weekend, and the best way I could think of to celebrate our nation was to go out and enjoy some of the natural beauty it contains. It's been 2 or 3 years since I rode through Yellowstone, so I packed up my camping gear and headed that direction. (I'm coming from just outside Ogden, Utah.)

I intentionally avoided interstate highways, sticking instead to two lane backroads where speed limits are generally 55 MPH, traffic is minimal, and the scenery makes the trip itself as enjoyable as the destination.

First fuel stop was in Logan, Utah. This is a nice little city in a mountain valley where the Winters are harsh and the Spring and Fall tend to be long and cool, but it's hot there now, and the young ladies from the local college aren't wearing too much as they go about buying gas, talking on their cell phones, and whatnot.
GasPump.jpg

Next, I continued through Preston, Idaho (setting of the stupidly funny sleeper hit movie Napoleon Dynamite), and then Franklin, which is the oldest town in Idaho. That's what the sign says, anyway, and why would a sign lie?
IMG_1255.jpg

In the rolling hills north of Franklin the wildflowers are so thick in places, they turn the whole landscape yellow.
IMG_1258.jpg

On closer inspection, you discover that the yellow ones are simply the most visible, but there are flowers in white, purple, blue, pink, orange—at least a dozen different species flourishing. I can't help it, I love wildflowers, but at least I'm man enough to admit it!

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

I think this is a really neat place, although the red roof is a bit bright.
IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

I made my way to Soda Springs, Idaho, hoping to meet a couple of other RugerForum members and say hello. Unfortunately, I got away pretty late that day (don't ask), so it was 5:00 PM before I arrived there, and I missed them. Sorry, Dick and Steve. We'll hook up sometime soon. I should have taken a picture of the HANGUNNR license plate to prove I was there, but I didn't think of it until I was on my way out of town.

The little highway from Soda Springs to Freedom, Wyoming is becoming one of my favorite roads. The stretch alongside Tin Cup Creek is full of settings like this:
IMG_1263.jpg

Sixshot, I now realize that you were warning me about the sharp curves on this route, not on the gravel road up Long Valley. I'm a little slow sometimes. I didn't have any problems, but I can see why you said there have been some bad accidents.

Rolling into Star Valley, I had to stop and get a picture in front of one of the world's coolest companies. This little factory is where all those beautiful model 83s and 97s come from.
IMG_1264.jpg

I stopped for gas in Alpine, then continued toward Jackson and learned that the road had recently been closed by a big rock slide near Hoback Junction. Fortunately, it was cleaned up by the time I got there. I rolled right through Jackson—didn't even stop, because I never feel comfortable in that crowd. I have way too little money, and when I arrive there I'm usually sunburned, windburned, bug-splattered, smelling like sweat, motorcycle, and road dust, and generally not fitting in too well with the high society jet set. I got into Grand Teton N.P. just before dusk and managed to get a few pictures of what have always been my favorite mountains.
IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

(Fun fact: Grand Tetons = French for "big hooters." Honest. Look it up if you don't believe me. Apparently, this is what these mountains called to mind for the French explorers who got the privilege of naming them.)

It's been so wet up here, there's a very healthy crop of mosquitoes. I couldn't bear stopping for longer than a minute or two. They were swarming on me by the millions, trying to suck me dry. It could have been worse, though. Most of 'em were no bigger than hummingbirds.

I decided to camp for the night at Colter Bay. The first thing I did was buy some bug repellant from the general store, then I had dinner, walked around a little, just relaxed and enjoyed being outside. I didn't even bring a tent on this trip because the forecast called for good weather all weekend. Here is where I slept.
IMG_1273.jpg

I have a silk liner inside a mummy bag inside a Gore-tex bivy sack, all on top of a Therm-a-rest pad and space blanket. I don't get cold. And that's a good thing, because in the morning there was a light frost on everything.
IMG_1274.jpg

I walked around by the marina and watched the sun rise over the bay while I ate my breakfast. Here are the Tetons above Jackson Lake…
IMG_1278.jpg

…and the same scene with an incredibly handsome guy in the foreground.
IMG_1279.jpg

Take it easy, ladies! I'm already spoken for.

Some boats in the misty early morning.
IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

After letting Mr. Sun warm things up a bit, I rode to this place:
IMG_1283.jpg

I don't know these guys. They just happened to be stopped by the sign.

There's still quite a bit of snow in places.
IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

I stopped to look at all the usual attractions:

Local residents browsing on some leafy greens
IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

Natural jacuzzis
IMG_1288.jpg

Yellowstone Lake
IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

And some high mountain passes.
IMG_1301.jpg

I crossed this about half a dozen times.
IMG_1342.jpg

This is me reflecting on a rocky, tree-covered slope (or vice-versa).
IMG_1297.jpg

They have this guy to keep the grass trimmed around the Lake Yellowstone Hotel…
IMG_1291.jpg

...and a short distance away, this one does the same thing along the side of the road.
IMG_1294.jpg

He looks like he could use a good combing—still getting rid of that winter coat.

Leaving the park through the East gate, I rode through Wapiti Valley, then past Buffalo Bill Reservoir. Check out this tree on a hill just above the highway!
IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

Can you believe that little thing stopped such a huge boulder right in its tracks? Good thing it was there, or that rock could have rolled right onto the road.

I arrived in the town of…
IMG_1333.jpg

… where things like this are a common sight.
IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Checked in at the Ponderosa Campground.
IMG_1314.jpg

I've stayed here before, and they treated me well. Hospitable, informative, motorcycle-friendly, and they have nice facilities. Here's evidence of how easy-going they are: some folks were occupying a site near me with their large trailer, and parked their truck in an adjacent site, presumably without paying for both. This note was left on the truck.
IMG_1313.jpg

It even starts with a "Howdy!" I've known some commercial campgrounds to be much more harsh than this. But people all over Cody are generally very kind. I felt safe, secure, and comfortable the whole time I was in town—it's a great place.

A craft fair went on at the city park all weekend, and I met a local knife maker there by the name of Ricky Snow. He had several designs that appealed to me, especially some traditional style skinners with elk handles. I had to buy one.
IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

I don't know much about metallurgy, knife making, or other such dark arts, but he told me this one is of T-6, a steel that, for whatever reason, is no longer available. He got the material from the blade of a 120 year old buck saw.

I've never stayed at the Vacancy, but it must be a popular chain, because I saw locations all over the place.
IMG_1318.jpg

Seriously, the Irma goes way back to the days of Buffalo Bill Cody himself.
IMG_1309.jpg

Here's a bike I saw parked in town. Whereas I take a minimalist approach to motorcycle touring, this guy is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

He seems to have every gadget and trinket imaginable. There might even be a kitchen sink in that trunk, but if not, it's the only thing he's missing.

Every night they have an old west shootout reenactment in the street, which is kind of fun to watch. Here are some of the players in costume:

A few rough characters
Hombre1.jpg
Hombre2.jpg

…and a fairer one.
Lady.jpg

Cody calls itself Rodeo Capital of the World, and Independence Day weekend is the biggest time of year for their rodeos, so I decided I'd better go watch one. Here is a USMC Mounted Honor Guard presenting the colors at the start of the rodeo. Very cool.
IMG_1310.jpg

Some members of the rodeo royalty.
IMG_1311.jpg

It was hard to get good pictures once the sun went down and the action started, but I'll suffice it to say that I was not disappointed with any of the events. The top bull rider of the night was a feller out of Santaquin, Utah, name of Wesley Silcox. In 2007, he won the world championship in bull riding. Now I ask you, what better name could there be for a rodeo cowboy than Wesley Silcox? It's as if he was destined from birth for this occupation.

On Sunday morning, they had a big parade. It included all the usual parade stuff, but here is what I liked:
IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

About 20 or 30 of these guys were patrolling the parade route, not as participants so much as public safety officials. I don't know if they are called Sheriff's Deputies, Marshalls, or what, and don't know what kind of duties they have every other day of the year, but they clearly were not at the parade just to look cool. As I mentioned before, Cody is a neat town.

Leaving town about noon, I went northwest toward Cooke City, Montana and the northeast gate into the park because I'd never ridden that road. It's the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, and it passes through something called the Sunlight Basin, a beautiful route.
IMG_1334.jpg

If you've never been through this territory, I recommend putting it on your "To do" list. Unless sublime natural beauty is not your thing. In that case, don't bother.
IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

See the sharp, narrow peak? The Crow Indians named it Na Piet Say, meaning "the bear's tooth," which is what we call it to this day. I always imagine some dark wizard on the top of it, conjuring evil sorcery amid thunder, lightning, and general spookiness.
Beartooth.jpg

They have signs like this all over the place. I think they're suggesting that we take a lesson from bears and eat a lot each Fall to bulk up for the Winter.
IMG_1339.jpg

From the pictures I've seen of RugerForum members, it appears some of us are taking that advice to heart. Just sayin'…

I went back through the park following a different loop than the one I rode Saturday. Here is an area that burned in the fires of 1988, which I swear I had nothing to do with. I was nowhere near Yellowstone at the time, and I have witnesses who will corroborate this.
IMG_1340.jpg

There are millions of dead trees, both on the ground and still standing, and the new crop is coming up among them, ranging in size from 10 feet to about 20 or 30 feet tall. (Cue "Lion King" Circle of Life music.)

I saw lots of bikes, mostly Harleys, but a good assortment of other types too. This vintage Norton was probably my favorite (and perhaps the only thing that's even less reliable than an old Harley!)
IMG_1341.jpg

Rivers everywhere are running high, and the Lewis is no exception. Here is Lewis Falls.
IMG_1343.jpg

And the Lewis River's flood plain.
IMG_1344.jpg

By Fall, this might be reduced to a single narrow channel.

I rode out the south gate, back through Tetons and Jackson, over Teton pass to Victor, Idaho, and then down to Idaho Falls, where I stayed with family for the 4th. By the time I rolled through Jackson it was getting too dark for pictures, and I got into I.F. quite late. On Monday we had good food, watched fireworks, played in the yard with the kids, and buzzed around on a little 4-wheeler. This was a most relaxing day. Tuesday morning I got up and rode home on I-15, about a 3 hour cruise. There's nothing interesting about that ride, but it wasn't too bad. By that afternoon I was back at the salt mines, the daily grind, the old routine. It will be many moons before I can take another vacation like this, but my pictures and memories will sustain me.

warbird1975

Single-Sixer
Really, really, really cool man! Looks like a great trip! Awesome pics too. Next time you are in Cody try the all you can eat prime rib buffet at the Irma, it is amazing! Thanks for sharing your trip!

zac0419

Single-Sixer
Awesome trip. Great write up and pictures. I haven't been to the Tetons in way too long. They shouldn't have those mountains near the entrance to anything else. I remember how let down I was driving through Yellowstone (which is amazing for it's own reasons) after seeing those mountains.

Zach Monroe

Bearcat
That was a great trip with some great pictures and a nice write up. Thanks for taking us along, I know I enjoyed the ride.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
Cool trip, looks fun. Since becoming disabled in 04, I can no longer ride...miss the hell out of it. Finally get my DL back next week...though my loss of balance wont let me balance a two wheeler, I have really been looking at those CanAm Spyders (the weird lookin' ones with 2 wheels in front...it seems a lot more stable in hard cornering. But as soon as I can set it up....a trip much like yours is in the making (I just don't wanna raid my LH Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle fund....I am almost there)! Ahhh....choices, choices, choices!

P.S- That Norton is a neat bike....wouldn't want to own own one, but neat to see!

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Looks like a great trip! Nice write up. We're going to skip out normal trek to Sturgis this year and hit Colorado instead. See how the ol Harley does in the Pike's Peak hill climb. Should be fun :)

flhr62

Single-Sixer
Thanks for taking the time to post your trip. When I first started reading, that was not the bike I was expecting you to be on.

Mike Mulligan

Single-Sixer
Great pics! Nice to see a Suzuki dual purpose on the road! Had an '81 SP 500 years ago: fast enough and great on back and dirt roads and trails! :D

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Looks like a great trip.

By the way my wife, granddaughter and I were at the rodeo that night also. Watched the parade Sunday morning and came home.

Dana

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
flatgate said:
Aww, you should'a stopped in when you drove by.

I'd like to have, but I was afraid you'd show me some pieces from your Ruger collection, and then I'd start drooling like one of Pavlov's pooches, and we'd both be sorry I messed up your place.

Actually, I was running so late that day I had to just make tracks to the North. I'd love to spend a whole day in Star Valley sometime.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Great trip report, and on a DRZ400 no less :) I'd like to check out Yellowstone on two wheels as I've been there on 4 a couple of times. Goldwings don't have a kitchen sink, just an espresso machine and a mini fridge :) (mines and 84)

Thanks for sharing.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I've been on lots of trips with a buddy who rides a DR-650. You feel pretty small when the guy on the dual sport 650 has you by 250 cc's! The DRZ is a great bike, though. Some of our trips even warranted choosing small, light, dirt-capable bikes. More often, they're places where a GoldWing would be appropriate.

I'd like to say I ride this little machine by choice, but actually, it's only because I have no other motorcycle. I hope to change that someday, maybe next Spring. But even if I get something that's bigger, faster, more powerful, and that offers wind protection, I'll still stick to the backroads and state highways.