How Well Do Six Shooters Stack Up to Bottom Feeders

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey Guys,
One of the SASS Clubs had their annual fund raising for the 100 Club, Cops and Cowboys Match. I thought some of you might be interested to see the final scores and how well our old Six Shooters, Lever Rifles and SxS perform against modern guns and well trained shooters. It was a little to far for me to travel to, but it looks like a blast.:)
Here is some of the info and WEB Sites

Burnet News
Last weekend, the Texas Legacy Foundation held an Annual Cops & Cowboys Shootout at the Tejas Caballeros shooting range, in a charity benefit for the Hill Country 100 Club.
The Hill Country 100 Club is a great volunteer organization that gives $25,000 to the family of first responders killed in the line of duty, within 24 to 48 hours, along with other financial aid as needed (HC100Club.com).
The Shootout took place at an Old West Town on Ranch Road 1623 seven miles west of Blanco deep in the Hill Country.
Cowboys shot Old West Colt revolvers, double barrel shotguns and Winchester Lever rifles, while Officers shot modern semi-auto service weapons. No, they don't shoot at each other! The Cops & Cowboys compete by shooting metal targets lo- cated outside Old West buildings that include a Saloon, a Bank, a Gallows, a Livery, and a Jail, to name a few. Who's the fastest? Old West Guns or Modern Weapons? Cops or Cowboys?
The Cops won this year, but not by as much as you might think. An engraved plaque was taken home by the Cops that records the history of this event.
In the last four years, the Cops have won three times and the Cowboys have won once. Maybe the Cowboys can win it back next year? The event is open to the public and it is a blast to watch.
The Old West Town, known as Determination, was built by the Tejas Caballeros Cowboy Shooting Club and the Cowboys dress in costume and are fun to watch!
The sound and smoke of 4,365 rounds of ammunition has cleared in Determination. Once again, for the 3rd year running, the top lawman was Patrol Captain Steven Clark of the Burnet County Sheriff's Department.
The top cowboy was Alamo Andy, aka Robert Muehlstein, of San Antonio. While there was a commanding space of 17 seconds between the shooting times of Capt. Clark and Alamo Andy the overall time difference between the cop's team and the cowboy's team was a mere 2.26 seconds in the final competition.

Final scores with times for the match

buckaroo

Banned
the overall time difference between the cop's team and the cowboy's team was a mere 2.26 seconds in the final competition

All boils down to reloads, it's the only reason I ever went to an auto-loader, quicker reloads. But I will never completely trust them like I did a revolver.

Wvfarrier

Single-Sixer
I carry revolvers almost exclusively, an 8rd S&W and have completed several cqb courses with it. It takes a lot of practice and reloads are brutal once the frame heats up a little.

Im a lefty and it takes me 3-4 seconds to reload in a perfect series while I can reload my 1911 in 1.5 seconds. Thats significant in a gunfight.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like a GREAT time with a side benefit for a good cause!

Lots of factors come into play when you pit such differing firearms against each other. But no matter what,, it still comes down to a lot of skill on the shooter's part.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I sure wouldn't hold law enforcement up as a shining example of the efficient use of firearms. I watched the North Hollywood shoot out and the entire time I was thinking if even one of the officers had stopped spraying and praying and took an aimed shot it wuld have been over much quicker. Even once they had rifles capable of penetrating the body armor of the criminals they still sprayed and prayed. Heck, the one went down to a head shot, did it to himself.

So the answer to this mess ws to issue AR style rifles to patrol officers. They aren't missing any less.

Now this isn't to put down cops. But most of them only shoot enough to pass qualifications. They aren't "shooters".