How rare are "snubby" Security Sixes?***mine now**

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kristop64089

Bearcat
I have happened on to another Security Six deal. This one is a Blued SS, with a 2-3/4" barrel, adjustable sights and square butt grips.

There is no box or papers, and finish is strong.

I tried the usual suspects, to gauge value, and no luck.

He is asking $400, or trade for hunting rifle(which i may give him my 300WM for it).

$400 seems ok, I just don't want to over pay.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
We would need to see some pictures of the gun,
serial #? is it a low back framed gun? caliber?
Warning roll mark? Scalloped or un-scalloped
recoil shield? Help is here we just need more info.
Terry

Although not "extremely" rare, we do know that there's much fewer short barrels, than the longer barrels.

While I don't like seeing the inflation of value on the superb Security/Speed/Service Sixes, that is a fact of life, and at least, fortunately, this inflation was postponed much longer than with other models.

A short time ago, I really thought $350 was high, for the model you describe, but I also know it's not likely that I could not go out today, and buy one for that price.

So, I guess a feller bites the bullet, and pays the price.

That is a fine gun.

WAYNO.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
If your rifle is worth around $500 and the guy is asking $400 for the Security Six then I would keep the rifle and offer they guy $375 OTD for the Ruger. You "save" $125 and you get to own both guns. Fronting gun money kind of sucks sometimes but it's not like you have to come up with a really high dollar amount for this one. Sometime down the road, you could put your rifle up for consignment, in a local gun shop, and recover more than 100% of your revolver investment if you wanted to do so.

Either way......get that Security Six!!!

kristop64089

Bearcat
what were the original grips?

I have my eye on a set of grips, and box/papers.

The rifle is my new 300wm. I can live with out it, as there are more out there. I wish I could front the money, but I promised the wife I would stop buying guns, so I have to sacrifice.

I traded off my LCR, but really want a snubby. I love the "Six" series of guns. I have a GS32N, but can't carry it, and I swore I would grab the next 2incher I saw. Well, this is the only one I have seen locally.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Hey thanks for the tip off. I just got off the phone with this guy and he let me buy it for $380. Nice....

Haha. Just kidding. Did I get ya?

Greebe

kristop64089

Bearcat
Greebe":2h4c1hd5 said:
Hey thanks for the tip off. I just got off the phone with this guy and he let me buy it for $380. Nice....

Greebe

My heart hit my throat, that's for sure. BUT< I did tell the guy, if someone gives you the cash, sell it. I never lock people into a deal, until the day of the meeting.

AND, in the spirit of competition, I will get the gun, just to keep anyone else from getting it. :mrgreen:

COR

Blackhawk
My fiance spent $399 + tax here in western Pa and surprised me this past Christmas (I aw the receipt, yes I am nosey). It's a SS model and the first one I have seen or handled (except for pics)and they aren't making any more. I think she did great at that price and what a surprise since I only mentioned the gun with that barrel length once or twice as a model I had my eye out for.

5 years ago $325-350 ...today $399. I think it's worth $400 all day in that shape. They are the only length I would own in that model. Mine shoots great with every load I have tried too. Slap on a set of stag grips and you are ready for a BBQ.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
kristop64089":eck7gzox said:
Greebe":eck7gzox said:

Greebe

My heart hit my throat, that's for sure. BUT< I did tell the guy, if someone gives you the cash, sell it. I never lock people into a deal, until the day of the meeting.

AND, in the spirit of competition, I will get the gun, just to keep anyone else from getting it. :mrgreen:

Haha thats cool.

I am always nervous about posting links to things I am considering buying. I once had a "friend" buy something right our from under me after I told him about it. Can you say Pi$$ed Off. Anyways after that I never give any tips to people about things that I might want to buy.

Greebe

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I just bought one on the 3rd of this month A Ruger Security Six for $275+ tax. I had to get gun registered because it is mandatory in Omaha,Nebraska where I live. So total all together was $304.00 It does have a pinned rear sight. When I saw it there were some gangbangers looking at to buy it and I thought to muself,NOPE,NO WAY THEY ARE GOING TO GET IT. It came home with me. I love Ruger revolvers and Ruger P95s 8)

Rarity is relative to where you are in the country, I think. In my neck of the woods, I see them on a regular basis. A year ago, I had one Speed Six snubbie. Soon got another, than about 2 months ago, picked up a third one. All that made me want to get all 3 calibers in blue and stainless. Once I went looking, it was realtively easy to assemble. Including the cost of the two rare 9mm's, the average price was a hair over $425.

Not that long ago, I picked up a boxed blue Security Six for $250. So, bargains are out there, but the prices are going up, IMHO.

Dave

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Expect prices to keep going up. I have noticed in the midwest that as LEos retire. Many that may have carried revolvers at one time and later carried autos as per their department are going back to revolvers. Medium or "K" frame size in 357 are no longer made. I have not seen one in my area go for less than six. In 2009 a local dealer got 24 security sixes 2-3/4 barrel sold out at $799.99 in less than 4 days.

kristop64089

Bearcat
Well, I picked it up. It's in great shape. I found the receipt to my rifle, and my OTD price on it was $385 1.5 yrs ago(so that is my out-of-pocket cost).

My only complaint is the target grips. I wish there was something smaller I could put on.

I bought a set on ebay, they are for a speed six(look for them in the EE tomorrow, but this has the square frame, so while the grips fit, they do not look right.
I also have a pair of Houge Monogrips, but I like my wheelies to wear wood.

Do I have any options?

tek4260

Buckeye
lfpiii":wk9h7hxl said:
Expect prices to keep going up. I have noticed in the midwest that as LEos retire. Many that may have carried revolvers at one time and later carried autos as per their department are going back to revolvers. Medium or "K" frame size in 357 are no longer made. I have not seen one in my area go for less than six. In 2009 a local dealer got 24 security sixes 2-3/4 barrel sold out at $799.99 in less than 4 days.

:shock:

I'd have to leave that state!! Smith 66's still go for around $350 used here.

Latest posts