How many SR9c's are shooting low?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Verndog

Blackhawk
Sal1950 said:
That could very well be the issue or at least part of why you didn't notice it before. 124s should have a higher POI and 147s even higher, all other factors being equal.
Sal

Thanks Sal I'll check that out. I'll run a mag of 124's in target 1 and a mag of 115's in #2 and see if I can spot an average difference.

kscott

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Hazama Yakiba said:
whaaa-laaah... 0ne inch groupings (on target) at 25 yards !

Anybody care to guess what the link below is for ??? :D

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=55245

REV

haha. First thing I thought of Rev. I probably woulda' dug it up if you didn't. Shoulda' known that you would beat me to it though. How do you change the forum settings to alert you when someone claims a 1" group? that's a pretty cool setting. :wink:

VD, I think Sal is definitely onto the issue. I normally shoot 115's and I grabbed a box of cheap 147 HPs to do some cantaloupe slaying and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't hitting anything until I punched some paper with them and saw they were all considerably higher than the 115s. So I just aimed at the bottom of them and finally got some carnage.

RMFC

Bearcat
I've only shot 115s and shot 2-3 inch groups dead on with my sr9c (don't worry rev i am well aware of your challenge, hence the honesty on my part).

It might very well be the different guns. I've shot a magazine full each with my sr9c and my dad's fs m&p 9 back to back with less that ten seconds in between. I shot the same 2-3 inch groups, however, when I picked up my dads m&p the group i shot was 3 inches lower. I did this numerous times (alternating back and forth) and saw the same trend, always 3 inches lower with the fs m&p.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
What really messes me up is trying to shoot an autoloader with three dot sights in which either the center dot is supposed to be held somewhat higher than the others, or the top of the front sight rises higher than the top of the rear sight when the dots are aligned. I shoot a revolver with fixed sights and ramp front really well, better than any autoloader. The worst factory sights I've ever used are the notch and dot setup on Glocks. It seems easy, put the football between the goal posts, but I just can't do it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
kscott said:
revhigh said:
Hazama Yakiba said:
whaaa-laaah... One inch groupings (on target) at 25 yards !

Anybody care to guess what the link below is for ??? :D

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=55245

REV

haha. First thing I thought of Rev. I probably woulda' dug it up if you didn't. Shoulda' known that you would beat me to it though. How do you change the forum settings to alert you when someone claims a 1" group? that's a pretty cool setting. :wink:

I think some people must think that a grapefruit or a soccer ball is an inch in diameter .... :D

REV

Curley Red

Bearcat
DEADI9MM said:
my sr9c was to the right moved rear sight to the left now it is right on

Mine is the same, shoots to the right. I just need to get back out and adjust the sight. But it is dead on for up and down.

boltons75

Single-Sixer
Mine shoots where I aim, in fact I just installed the ameriglo tritiums on it and was expecting to have to change my aim since its a fixed rear sight. Well I bore sighted it with my laser and my first five shots from a rest all were in a nice small 1 inch group, right where I aimed. Im glad ameriglo fixed the issue with the rear sight height.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
Verndog said:
...Federal FMJ to Wallmart 115gr Federal FMJ. And didn't notice this issue before with 124gr. But I only shoot 20 to 40 ft usually so?? ...

Two things.

1. Going to a faster round will generally lower your POI. You can see this at 7 yds shooting off bags, even.

2. To my eyes, the sight alignment of the front and rear sights are not the same depending on whether you use the dots or the tops of the front post and rear blade. On mine, if I align the tops, the front dot is raised slightly and if I use the dots, the top for the front sight is a hair below the top of the blade. Shouldn't matter, as long as you use one or the other.

I agree with the previous post regarding switching guns. They fit your hand differently, may have different sights, likely have a different trigger shape and feel to the pull, and may have a different grip angle. All of these contribute to POI.

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Sal's post reminds me of an article I read recently on ammo. May be common knowledge but wasn't to me. Gun manufacturers actually set the sights on guns to be different from point of aim- I mean, POA is NOT point of impact...except at certain distances with certain weight ammo.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
freedomcosts said:
Sal's post reminds me of an article I read recently on ammo. May be common knowledge but wasn't to me. Gun manufacturers actually set the sights on guns to be different from point of aim- I mean, POA is NOT point of impact...except at certain distances with certain weight ammo.

That is generally true no matter the gun or ammo. POI and line of sight (LOS) will generally cross twice. What most folks mean when they say POI=POA is that POA is somewhere inside their group. More precisely, POA=POI when the center of the group is on the POA.

Another thing is the gun manufacturer may set things up for a 6 o'clock hold. So what does POA mean when a gun and load are regulated for that?

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Sorry, I shoulda checked before I opened my mouth- my keyboard- what this guy was saying (Duke Venturino Amer.Handgunner March/April) was manufacturers set the sights for a .45 maybe 2-3" low because of the anticipated recoil. His statement was ' as soon as the bullet starts down the barrel , recoil begins pushing the muzzle up..' His point was as you said- you should see where you want to shoot from, 7 yds, 15 yds whatever- and do the groups and set your sights at that height. Each manuf.'er may use lighter or heavier bullets, and then determining just how low they set theirs. That sound right?