How long will this nonsense last?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fido4x

Bearcat
I would suggest that things are getting much better. Although 22LR still seems difficult to find other calibers are becoming available. I see .223, granted Tula or Wolf steel case, for less than .50 and brass cased consistently at .60. 45ACP could be had at my local Walmart the other day. $20/50 for Federal and $15/50 for Tula. I didn't have my cash with otherwise I would have picked up 3 boxes but I did walk around a bit to see if it sat around. It was still there when I went back 20 minutes later.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Frankly I find that the ammo shortage has personally caused a decrease in interest in shooting.

This on the heels of my first 25 round magazine purchase. Squeezed off a half box in rapid succession. That was interesting. Then shot the Single Six,Winchester 9422,and the single shot Crack Shot.

Three visits to empty shelves and dead end mail order attempts.....I have found it has been surprisingly easy to just skip it.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Whatever the current prices are I hope we all remeber__

When things get back to 'normal' do the following:

1. set aside at least 1000 bullets and primers for your favorite load,

2. set aside xxxx rounds of 22 LR-what ever you need for one summers/years shooting,

Aboves are minimums-more if possible.
Then get some components and ammo and start shooting.

The set asides are for times like now--not to shoot except when you cant buy todays ammo to shoot.

I guess we could ask--what will happen when food isnt available for some odd reason?? How long can you live with out a trip to the grocery store?

fido4x

Bearcat
I agree with the Cabela's post. The other day gunbot showed PMC .223 at $8.95/20 and Fed AE .223 at $9.95/20. I picked up my max of 5 boxes each. They haven't been on gunbot since. Just lucky there I guess. Steel case .223 can be had easily for < .50/round. I have about 2000 rounds of 22LR so I can wait a bit longer for some of that to show up. When it gets around .05 ea I'll start to set some aside. I highly doubt we've seen the end of the shenanigans with trying to muck around with the 2nd Amendment.

ranger1

Buckeye
BuckNaked40 said:
Keep an eye on Cabelas website. I recently purchased 100 rd boxes of Remington Viper for $7.85 ea.
+1
Just got another box a Mini-Mags with free shipping on the way to my local store!

Iguanason

Bearcat
22LR prices on gunbroker are softening. The $75 bricks of golden bullets are not getting taken. Ten cents a round seems to be the new average price. I think that is down a couple of cents from a few months ago.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
What we are experiencing is the simple economic principal of supply and demand. Accordingly, this "nonsense" will continue as long as:
1. The "Doomsday Hoarders" keep hoarding (eventually they will have enough)
2. Opportunists continue to buy every popular round that they can find for the purpose of reselling at a profit (like all speculators in any type of commodity, the market will eventually flip on them), and most importantly ...
3. The fearful shooting public keeps paying the ridiculous prices.

Fortunately, I planned well over the years and have not participated in this current feeding frenzy (or the 2008 version) and have found enough reasonably priced ammo at my local Walmarts to maintain my stock and even get a little extra for trading purposes. When I found myself dropping below my comfort level in 22lr recently, I simply placed a trade ad on one of my local forums and within a few days traded some surplus 9mm for an equal value of 22lr. The gentleman I traded with simply had what I needed and needed what I had ;)

fido4x

Bearcat
BuckJM53, I agree with you sentiment. I did not have a need for 5.56 or .45 until my beloved bought a M4 and a 45 in Dec '12. Fortunately that was right before the event in CT. I am patiently waiting and have no problem "planning" for the future. I pick up enough to keep the barrels warm with a few set aside just in case.

DDDWho

Bearcat
My Bro-n-law found two bricks of 525 rounds at Wally in Kansas City for $23.00 each 2 weeks ago.

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
My local WalMart guy says folks are lined up b/w 5 and 6 am. They bring ALL the ammo out at 7am - whatever came in on last night's truck. People call in after 7pm to find out if ammo came in (and what).

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
The WM gun guy told me last evening that they were buried in handgun ammo yesterday morning, it lasted all day long. Still no .22. They had Tulammo in 7.62x39 & .223 on the shelf, still there when I left.