How does the SR1911 compare!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tfmccann

Bearcat
I recently purchased a SR1911 and I have to say it is a fantastic gun! It functions flawlessly and is very accurate! It looks great and has great features for the price!

However, I feel like some people bag on the ruger like they don't think it compares to guns for a couple hundred more! I don't know if they feel threatened or think because they paid a little more they got a significantly better gun! I think the Ruger compares well to the average Springfield and some Kimbers!

What do you all think? Anyone compared their SR1911 to any other 1911s? Or own multiple? Thanks for any input!

Also check this accuracy report! http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=1660

sousana

Single-Sixer
I've got a norinco that, at 21ft using tzz match grade ammo gives me 1.924" groupngs, and its stock. Cost $380

I've got a stock springfield milspec that gives me 1.987" groupings cost $585

I've got a nighthawk talon that with match ammo gives me 1.672" groups at 21ft, cost $2200

I had a les baer that I had to send back for replacement due to greater than 3.8" groups.

Point is, it don't have to cost you your firstborn to get great accuracy.

A good example is my 4506 from s&w, by no meams are these considered ipsc quality, but this one gives me sub 2" groups while my other 14 varients of the 4506 give me 2"-3.2" groups.

Jim Puke

Hunter
The SR1911 is about average for the price.

It is looked down on by the 1911 crowd because the frame is cast rather than forged.

Whether there is justification for this, or not, is open to debate. But, in the 1911 world, there is forged and then there is everything else.

It is not equal to the Springfield and Kimber models that cost a few hundred more.

If you like it, that is all that counts.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Since you said 'a couple hundred more' .... no it doesn't compare to things like the Springfield Range Officer.

Hey ... you asked.

Its a $600 1911 ... pretty much equal to most other $600 1911's

Probably not what you were looking to hear ... but its true.

Its a good $600 gun.

REV

Tfmccann

Bearcat
Thanks for the input! And that all makes sense, get what you pay for. I have seen mutiple threads of people with Kimbers and spring fields saying how they like the ruger better and was just wondering about peoples opinions on here as well! I personally wouldn't buy a Springfield because I like my Firearms (and cars) made in the USA! But either way I love my SR1911 and it is reliable as the day is long! I have read reports of Kimbers and such having to be sent back cause they didn't function well. I know not all Kimbers are that way but I have seen mostly all good things about the Ruger and I'm looking for a more reliable piece than a show or competition piece

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
It is looked down on by the 1911 crowd because the frame is cast rather than forged.

Assuming a good casting, it's neither here nor there. Since Ruger has been been at it for decades, we can assume that they've got a handle on it.

Too much worry over the frame. It's the slide that catches all the hell. The slide and barrel assembly is the gun. The frame is essentially little more than the gun mount.

Jim Puke

Hunter
1911Tuner said:

Assuming a good casting, it's neither here nor there. Since Ruger has been been at it for decades, we can assume that they've got a handle on it.

Too much worry over the frame. It's the slide that catches all the hell. The slide and barrel assembly is the gun. The frame is essentially little more than the gun mount.

I agree, Ruger is a proven quality cast part producer...but that really carries no weight with most of the 1911 guys.

hittman

Staff member
revhigh said:
Its a good $600 gun.

That is my (1911 novice) understanding too and why I paid that ($600) for a used SR1911 and a pile of ammo recently.

hittman

Staff member
Jim Luke said:
I agree, Ruger is a proven quality cast part producer...but that really carries no weight with most of the 1911 guys.

Does Ruger make frames for other manufacturers 1911s and how are those guns perceived in the 1911 world?

Right now, I own Colt, Kimber, and Ruger 1911's.

Yep, the purists proclaim Kimber and Colt to be better guns. I proclaim them to be definitely more expensive.

But...Since I've owned my Ruger 1911's, I truly have not used either the Colt or Kimber. And I continue to be absolutely impressed with everything the Ruger does.

WAYNO.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I own Colt's and Springfields. My friend bought an SR1911 full size. We put the SR in a Ransom rest, and got sub 2 inch groups with handloads. 2 inch groups with Winchester white box 230 gr FMJ. I tested a Colt Nat'l Match and a Gold Cup plus a Spfld Range Officer. I got the SAME results as we did with the SR1911. I even tested a Colt, US Property, US Navy shooting team 1911! All the guns shot mostly the same groups with handloads and factory ammo. Hmmm. Bhk

Mus408

Hunter
Well I can hit what I shoot at and after 650 rounds, nothing has fell off of it...so I'm a happy shooter!
Check out Hickok45's video on the super tight Springfield 1911 designed for LE. It was so tight he could hardly rack the slide!

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Tfmccann said:
I personally wouldn't buy a Springfield because I like my Firearms (and cars) made in the USA!

I , too , buy U.S firearms , so

not sure I understand ? Its my understanding Springfields are made in the USA. The lower priced mil-specs are made in the Phillipines ...at least thats what mine said ... but from the R.O up , are made in the USA. My mil-spec actually was a great 1911. Awful trigger though , and needed the port relieved , but after installing a C & S trigger/hammer kit was a really good weapon. I lived with the dented brass :?

regards , brushunter

I used to have a Ruger SR1911 and a Splingfield Loaded Stainless NM 1911. The Ruger was one of the ones that exhibited SEVERE rust under the grips. Never thought to look till several of our members here mentioned it. The Springfield being the NM model was very nice, as mentioned earlier, true it was in "another league". I traded the Ruger SR1911 for a CZ75 SP01 Tactical. I sold the Springfield loaded for almost $1000.00 to help fund a move. I bought a house at the time.

I have since the acquired a Sig C3 and Auto Ordnance 1911 (Kahr makes it)

Do I miss those 2 guns? Very much so! Now that Ruger has the issues worked out, would I buy another? Possibly, however I'm considering instead a Springfield Range Officer.

Their are ALOT of 1911s on the market, and if I got paid a nickel for each time I had to remove rust from a stainless one (just not Rugers), I would have my house paid off. lol

sousana

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I used to have a Ruger SR1911 and a Splingfield Loaded Stainless NM 1911. The Ruger was one of the ones that exhibited SEVERE rust under the grips. Never thought to look till several of our members here mentioned it. The Springfield being the NM model was very nice, as mentioned earlier, true it was in "another league". I traded the Ruger SR1911 for a CZ75 SP01 Tactical. I sold the Springfield loaded for almost $1000.00 to help fund a move. I bought a house at the time.

I have since the acquired a Sig C3 and Auto Ordnance 1911 (Kahr makes it)

Do I miss those 2 guns? Very much so! Now that Ruger has the issues worked out, would I buy another? Possibly, however I'm considering instead a Springfield Range Officer.

Their are ALOT of 1911s on the market, and if I got paid a nickel for each time I had to remove rust from a stainless one (just not Rugers), I would have my house paid off. lol

This is why ALL of my carry weapons are metaloyed, but if metaloy were not available, id take parkerizing. With a park finish you can 'cure' it, meaning once a month, you rub it down with remoil and let it soak in. One summer I decided to replace my primary and bug with their twins, but parkd finishes cured with remoil, but cured twice a month. I found, in the heavy humid heat plus the heat from being concealed, I experienced ZERO rust.