how do you shoot with a "ghost ring" or "One Ragged Hole"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Bear Paw Jack said:
Seems to me that there are certainly a LOT of opinions, and most are from people who have never used one of these sights on a handgun. And you know what they say about opinions and a certain anatomy part...Everybodies got one. The One Ragged Hole sight seems to make the front sight more clear (to me) and to many folks who have a fuzzy front sight. It "MIGHT" not be as tight of groups that come out of those guns but I figure if you hit your target and are having fun shooting it, who cares. If you like it use it. If you don't, don't use it. I have had lasik sugery, I've also had cataract surgery. My vision is pretty good. I've tried those sights and I like them but at this point in my life, I use the standard sights better. Might not last me forever.

I also have a ghost ring sight on my Marlin 1895 made by AO Sights. Their front sight is NOT a bead. It's a post just like the front sight on a handgun. It is very fast pointing.
Bet that Marlin shoots great, too. Those sights come in 2 sizes,7/32 9/32. I like the smaller size better.

As with any subject on this forum you see several diametrically opposed opinions.

But those that think there way is the only way always tickle my funny bone. When I see comments about how these types of sights don't/can't work worth a darned I always get a laugh.

They work for me, quite well in fact. But I suppose there are those for whom they don't work. My suggestion is try them. Sights are easy to change or change back.

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
And Glock calls them "Ghost Rings" I found several places that called Ghost Rings on a Google search.
It's not difficult to find examples of the term being misused, but that doesn't make it correct.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Googke it Snake. Ghost rings for Glock,, the term is correct, it seems either way. Ghost, Peep,, whatever or howevet you say it, small hole you sight thru to focus on front! Works for me

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Merry Christmas Snake, lets go buy one of those Stainless Steel .41 in 4 5/8" that Mike is offering here. Put a peep rear on it, ivory grips and smile into the New Year!

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
Googke it Snake. Ghost rings for Glock,, the term is correct, it seems either way. Ghost, Peep,, whatever or howevet you say it, small hole you sight thru to focus on front! Works for me
Sorry, but you're just wrong. And if Glock is calling it a ghost ring, so is Glock.

Unless, of course, you are actually SHOOTING the gun with the sight two inches from your eye. THEN it's a ghost ring. Otherwise, no.

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
Merry Christmas Snake, lets go buy one of those Stainless Steel .41 in 4 5/8" that Mike is offering here. Put a peep rear on it, ivory grips and smile into the New Year!
I have no problem with you putting a peep rear sight on your gun, if it works for you. I have peeps on many of my rifles, and a couple of them even have actual ghost rings (M16A2 rear sights). Peeps don't work for me on handguns.

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I. Shot my 4 5/8" SS .45 Blackhawk today 11 gr HS6 powder. Busting bricks. 255 MissouriCast hits with Authority. Oh yea, rear peep sight
Good for you, and thanks for correctly calling it a peep sight. :wink: