How accurate is your 10/22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Chief 101":2ksn8xn0 said:
How do I make a stock carbine shoot better. Can I remove the barrel band and freefloat the stock bbl? Has anybody tried that? It's a decent shooter that l can line up on the target quickly with but I have been missing 2 out of 5 targets. Some of the misses are good shots. I don't want to alter the balance and pointability, and I certainly don't want to add to the cost. What do you think. Chief aka Maxx Load

If you really, really want to get a stock 10/22 to shoot better, go over to RimfireCentral.com and ask for advice. Those guys will make a 10/22 shoot like a laser beam. But bring deep pockets. They will want you to replace everything except the serial number.

Trying to keep the 10/22 stock.. I would at least replace the hammer and spring for a better trigger pull.... then I would try every type of 22lr ammo there is... you will probably find several that are tack drivers.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
[/quote]
IIRC a dime is about 7/8" [/quote]

Not in my country. The US dime is closer to 5/8". Maybe that's what you meant.

Chief 101

Hunter
It shoots good but not great and has a great trigger for a field gun. Shooting well when I am using it like a shotgun does not work with a target trigger and a heavy target barrel. It does have a very nice trigger about it and when I jump this thing to my shoulder and the cross hairs are dead on the target. I hit a lot of targets just want to increase the odds. The most important aspect is how this handles, secondary is MOA accuracy. Ammo may be the secret so maybe some of you can tell me what some of their favorites are and I can move that direction. Thanks and hope I am not disrupting this thread.
Chief aka Maxx Load
guns.gif

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I knew I had a target around here somewhere. You may be able to read my original note. This was 20 shots, rapid fire, at 50 yards. The date is 5/13/90, twenty years ago. Still have the same pure-stock 1022, same 4x Weaver scope. I remember doing this target prone in the driveway, no rest. Geeze 20 years ago I was only 43!!!
1022.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Jayhawkhuntclub":3o92rae4 said:
IIRC a dime is about 7/8"

Not in my country. The US dime is closer to 5/8". Maybe that's what you meant.
Just miked one--.704. I must have been thinking of .750 (or 3/4") when I wrote 7/8". Sorry.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
I get about 1.25" with my "stock" 10/22 at 50yds depending on ammo. I did have a gunsmith do a trigger job on it but thats all it has now.

Changes I have tried in the past include barrel band removal and free floating however I ruined the original stock during the free float phase. After I had done the woodwork and realized my group was no better than I had before and the gun had actually become more finicky! Luckily I found a nice older walnut stock at a gunshow and went back to original...with a much nicer looking stock! The gun though now seems more sensitive to ammo and the groups actually tighten up with Remington GBs. Unfortunately I had laid in quite a supply of Federals as thats what it liked before. :( . Guess I need to buck up and lay in some Remingtons at $19 a box! :evil:

Snake45

Hawkeye
RedLabel":1o8iiufg said:
Guess I need to buck up and lay in some Remingtons at $19 a box! :evil:
If it's any comfort, the Fed Bulks are $19 a box now, too. :evil:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I noticed at Walmart yesterday that the Winchester XPerts are now a couple dollars less than either the Fed Bulks or the Rem GBs.

(But remember, there are 50 fewer of them in the box.)

The good news is that the WinXs have proven to be quite accurate in several of my guns. The bad news is that they don't feed in all of them, and SOME recent lots have had chambering problems in most guns.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Our local range closed, but before it did, we had a fellow who'd bring his Anschutz target rifle and his tricked out 10/22 to play with. The 10/22 would actually shoot as well as the Anschutz!

But it cost more than the Anschutz to get it there... ;)

At the other end of the spectrum, MY box stock 'cept for an old Weaver 4x scope 10/22 shoots 1 1/2-2 inch groups at 50 yds w/ Wally World Federals. It'll shoot closer to an inch w/ some other ammo when I'm having a good day. That's good enough to kill most all the cans that need to be killed in my neighborhood.

It's fun to play w/ 10/22s, but if great accuracy was my main concern, I'd probably start w/ a different platform. :)

Rick C

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright":2mac7g6z said:
Hi,

Our local range closed, but before it did, we had a fellow who'd bring his Anschutz target rifle and his tricked out 10/22 to play with. The 10/22 would actually shoot as well as the Anschutz!

But it cost more than the Anschutz to get it there... ;)
Heard that story many times before.... :wink:

At the other end of the spectrum, MY box stock 'cept for an old Weaver 4x scope 10/22 shoots 1 1/2-2 inch groups at 50 yds w/ Wally World Federals. It'll shoot closer to an inch w/ some other ammo when I'm having a good day.
That performance is very typical of stock 10/22 shooting, according to scores of other posters I've read at Rimfirecentral. You are an honest man! :wink:

It's fun to play w/ 10/22s, but if great accuracy was my main concern, I'd probably start w/ a different platform. :)

Rick C
Good thinking. I believe the appeal of the super-accurate 10/22 is due to two factors: The "I built it myself!" bragging rights thing, and the fact that you can build one up as your finances allow--you don't have to save up a grand or more for an Anschutz or something of the kind before you can start shooting, you can jump in and start having fun with a $200 10/22 and be shooting the whole time you're working on paying for the super-accurate stuff. :wink:

kamloopshunter

Bearcat
20 yards can hit 22 round, 60-70 can hit shotgun shells. I don't know what that translates in moa but my 10 22 is stock too, sporter version.

My latest discipline is to shoot my 10/22 with tech sights at 25 yards... standing, sitting and prone... practicing the same set up they put you through at an Appleseed project. I still can't get that stupid sling right though.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I posted an old rapid fire target on page 2 of this thread - here are a couple recent targets. On April 8th I drug the 1983 model 1022 out of the safe. I have no idea when the last time I shot it was. I know its been a couple years anyway. I checked the barrel for obstructions - none - but it was filthy. I've only ever cleaned this rifle with a rod from the muzzle and cleaned out the chamber best I could without disassembly. This time I ran a Bore Snake down the barrel from the chamber end....

Off to the range - it's thundering and raining. I wanted to test different ammo - so I fired 10 groups of 10 shots each from the bench at 25 yards. My rifle has the same fixed 4x scope on it I put on back in 1983. I shot Federal 550 bulk, Winchester Xpert HV, Federal Automatch, CCI Stinger, Remington Target, and Winchester 333 bulk. On these targets the squares are one inch. My best 10-shot group was with the Winchester 333 bulk. My worst was the CCI Stingers (no surprise there). I post these two targets below.
target1.jpg

target2.jpg

[/img]