Hope rifle shooters can help me ......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I've come across an excellent buy on a Leupold 3x9x40 scope. I see similar scopes on line in the $200.00 range brand new.

Question is ..... do you think this scope is tough enough to handle the recoil put out by an AK47?

hittman

Staff member
sliclee said:
why on a Ak?

None of my AK's have a scope ...... doubt I'd use it much but if a fella was to chase variety in his guns, this may be a way to accomplish it.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
I'd buy a used Leopold without a moment's hesitation. Their customer service is second to none. In July, I sent my 40 year old M8-4x to them, requesting an inspection, offering to pay for any repairs they deemed necessary. Got it back in four weeks, completely rebuilt, new windage and elevation adjusters installed, no charge! :D
It now sits on my M77 mkII 6.5 Swede. I think I've put together my "ideal" whitetail rifle.

Jeff

wwb

Hunter
sliclee said:
The AK is not worthy of such a fine scope. Its just not that accurate........

Whatever floats your boat, but as noted above, a Leupold 3-9X40 deserves a much better rifle than an AK. A red dot or a fixed 2.5X would really be more suitable on an AK.

If you've got the scope, you have an excuse to buy a .308, an '06, a .243, a 7 Mag, or something else where that scope would be right at home.

G2

Hunter
I will vouch for the Leupold Service, easy, first class, fast, quality.

1bdvet

Bearcat
Have the same scope on my rifle, that is great buy, and looking though the scope is crystal clear.

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
Scoping an AK is like installing racing tires on a golf cart. (grin)

wunbe

BUT WUNBE, if YOU LOWERED IT A LITTLE AND TWEAKED THE MOTOR, YOU'E HAVE AN AWFULLY FAST AND GREAT HANDLING GOLF CART!!
http://s248.photobucket.com/user/coltaholic/media/SLR_w_T-6resize.jpg.html?o=71

luvs2hunt62

Blackhawk
for hittman
for me, with my deteriorating eyesight and the relatively short ranges I use my AK for, I prefer a scope with an adjustable objective or a red dot--However, the Leopold is an excellent scope, with a great warranty dept, and if you don't use it, you can always use it for trade material.

hittman

Staff member
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and sometimes humorous advice! I appreciate the banter! :lol:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Regarding scoping an AK, I just wish to share my personal experience with my own AK. I have a Robinson Arms , Molot manufactured 16 inch barreled Russian VEPR that wore (until I moved the scope to my 77/357) a Leupold Rifleman 2-7 from Walmart. With PMC brass cased ammunition from a bipod rest on a bench, I was consistently able to shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards. No, it isn't AR platform accuracy, but it pleased me greatly. My AK is built on the heavier, 1.5 mm thick stamped steel receiver with heavier trunions, so it may be that my carbine is stiffer. The sales pitch was that the thicker receiver was meant for sustained automatic fire. My barrel seems thicker than the Romanian AK variants too.
Mount a scope on an AK? Sure give it a go! Doing so will allow you to determine what ammunition does indeed perform best for your particular gun, and allow you to see the best your gun is capable of shooting. One thing I did have to do though was a mount modification. The import scope base was reamed roughly, and I had little confidence in the concentricity of the integral rings. Using JB Weld and waxed paper, I basically bedded the rings to my scope and was satisfied with the results.
A man of limited means (no shame in admitting my situation), I only moved the Leupold to my 77/357 because I can't commit $200 for another Leupold Rifleman 2-7 to give me one for each carbine.
Hittman enjoy your AK and see what it will do for you with a scope! Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised with your findings. My best to everybody here.
Don

Latest posts