Hooter the Hoot Owl is BACK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hey Guys,
As a lot of you know last year we had a Great Horned Owl nest in our tree and raise two owlets, of which one I took care of after it was abandoned.
For the last week or so there has been a pair calling to one another at dusk and staying in our Oak tree. Well I'm happy to say that the female must have laid an egg last night because this morning she is incubating it. She is in the exact same spot in the tree as last year. We are looking forward to seeing her raising another family this year.
This is her from last year. I thought I would wait awhile until she gets familiar with us again before I take new pictures.
This is from last year. If you want to see more go to these.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=276968

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=278546

Cholo

Staff member
That's cool, Jim! They've found a good safe place to nest. I've had Red-tailed Hawks nesting in the same lone pine tree for over 30 years. It's safe and close to their food source.

Looking forward to the pics! :)

SAJohn

Hunter
I do not know who moved this to the Gallery but it was a mistake. Jim is not just posting the old photos but will be updating us on the progress of the baby owl.

John

It was moved here because Jim will be updating it with all the usual cool photos he uses to illustrate his stories . . . OK? It can still be accessed from the Lounge because there's a "Moved" notice to the original post still posted there. There was no point in going back to a year-old thread for this all-new development.

toysoldier

Hunter
All I get is a stupid robin nesting on the back porch light beside my sliding door. Two years in a row, and the fledglings fall out and get killed by my half-doxy.