HOLIDAY KARMA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
Tender feer? I think I would leave my boots on, just in case I had to run really fast to get away!

Anyhoo, I would probably head straight in on it, as quietly as possible. If I could control my severe case of bear fever (I have yet to take one) and could get within 75 yards without spooking it, I would feel comfortable taking a shot. If my hands were shaking too much from excitement (probable) I would have to scoot in closer.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, ok,, I didn't mention I'd go barefoot in my stalk,, figuring I'd get laughed at. But those that know me,,, know I do a lot of my shooting, & competitions barefoot.
Also,, I'll modify my post a bit. If I do win the prize,, I have someone in mind I'd make it a gift of,, my newly re-assigned Air Force nephew. He just left England after 7 years there, and is on his way to Missouri for his next assignment. He just got married,, and his new English bride got her very first introduction to shooting this past week. She wants a 22/45 like Miss Penny's. He's wanting a couple of guns now that he's back stateside. Plus,, he did mention he's wanting to learn reloading.
So,, if my choice of hunting method is correct,, (barefoot & all the last couple of hundred yards,,) & I win,, I'll take the press & give it to him.

sebtool

Blackhawk
If he's actually napping, I'd make my way pretty quick directly to the right, then cut across to the top of the blow downs on the right, before the pines.

From there, if he's still sleeping, I'd probably go around the back of the pines, down to the single tree towards the top of the pic, then as close as the blow downs would let me get 'quietly'.
Take a rest, preferrably prone, across my pack, and wait for him to wake up and start moving. IF he makes it past his 1st stretch after waking, he's going to head into the wind - probably. When he faces that way I'll be ready to take a good double lung shot that should put him back down for good. Worst case would be a shoulder shot.

If he was stirring when I got to the blowdowns above the pines, then I'd probably try and cut down closer, directly towards him, on the right of the pines, behind the blow downs. Quickly, before he heads for the woods! Hafta do a little crawling from the look of it. Take a rest, and wait for him to move, 'cuz it won't be long if it's getting close to dark. I don't want to take a shot with him laying down, as the angle could prevent a good clean kill shot, depending on how he's facing. He'll probably stand, stretch, and face into the wind, and give me a good broadside shot that'll anchor him in his tracks.

Then comes the 'fun' part, and after that, bear steak! :)

sebtool

Blackhawk
Geez - don't you guys all realize you takin' your boots off is gonna spook him so quick he'd be in the next county by the time your2nd boot was unlaced?
His sense of SMELL wouldn't let you get within 100 yds! :roll:

Not to mention he'd hear you whimperin' when you got a pine needle stuck in your 'tootsies'! :lol:

Contender - your nephew going to Whiteman AFB?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Got a winner yet?

I would approach from the downhill side. Hunting in mountains and you say it is getting late? The wind changes as it cools off and runs downhill. Hot air or air that is warming in the midday sun and you have an updraft , cold or cooling air sinks.

Use the cover above him and he won't be napping much longer. Sleeping or not...he's gonna wind you.

That is my opinion anyhow. There's a reason those big mulie bucks sit on hilltops in the middle of the day or hillsides with a good view to the top.

Jeff.

(The former Wisconsin resident living in Kansas who used to live in Colorado.)

sixshot

Buckeye
Finally, someone mentioned the thermals, yes cold air does run down hill & a bear has a nose second to none, they have little bitty eyes, kind of like a pig, but that nose & ears, yoweee!! Keep em coming, we got until wednesday for a nice press.

Dick

contender

Ruger Guru
I actually thought about the thermals,, but since we don't get to use that info around here as much,, (we have so many different sized hills & mountains,, our airflow is mixed almost all the time,) I got it backwards about the r/h approach. I was thinking about the air crossing left to right,, and with the onset of the evening,, the air would be rising,, so I figured a r/h approach to avoid the nose. I'm screwed,, but this is a great process!

sebtool, yep,, Whiteman AFB. THey should be getting there today. He's gotta check in by tomorrow,, and they have to buy a house,, etc. My sister went with them to help in the Real Estate info and how to get the paperwork started. She's a broker & worked as a loan officer at a bank. Gonna help him save $$$.

middleshot

Bearcat
OK I usually just lurk! But serious, Tender feet in Idaho means getting on your ATV and you guys want to take your shoes off. And whats this about not shooting a sleeping bear. Let me remind you that you are hunting with a handgun, not a 50 cal on the side of a hill. You at 50/60 yards with a handgun that bear is no longer sleeping with or without shoes. You got one hour to bust butt over there for a chance and you better not pass it up. You have to take every chance you get with a handgun or your coming home empty.
Think! If your taking off your boots you better be puttin on running shoes, because your running out of time. For me I'd tie a dozen glazed donuts dipped in honey around my neck and ask him on a date!!!
Keep the stories comming!!!

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
middleshot":puo2q64q said:
For me I'd tie a dozen glazed donuts dipped in honey around my neck and ask him on a date!!!

LMAO!!! Your a brave soul!! Maybe not the right answer but by far the funniest!!

huntnfool

Bearcat
I'd wait for him to start feeding on that baitpile/winter kill that he's approaching, then slip downhill behind that pine and come up under that rock outcrop at 30 yards. If it,s late evening, the thermals will put the wind in your face while your moving up to the outcrop.

mb111263

Single-Sixer
Ok...there are a few possibilities here. Not that I have any personal experience bear hunting, but I do have a very good friend who, between he and his sons, has 17 bears under their belts!

I look at this problem and I see two possible solutions...could be more, but for me, there are two choices:

1) I am on the opposite side of the canyon from this old bear and it is getting late in the day. If I am not mistaken, morning thermals flow uphill, while evening thermals move downhill. If the thermals are for sure moving downhill, then I would have a good chance of sneaking up to the lone pine, in my wool socks, keeping the pine between me and the bear. As long as the thermal isn't carrying my scent to the bear, and he can't hear me, I should be ok! Even if the old boy wakes up, there is a good chance that he will continue feeding on the onions and he won't notice the easy meal that is sneaking up on him! Since he is at the top of the food chain, he isn't wary like a deer or elk would be, and he will keep his nose to his grub!

While I am approaching the pine, my old Ruger Flattop 44 would be in my hand, loaded with 5 rounds of my handloads which consists of Sixshot's 250 gr Keith bullets over 18.5 grs of 2400. I can hold under 4" at 50 yards from the Keith backrest position, which I will be assuming once I get under that pine.

This is where the fun begins! My guide and backup would be our Karma host, Sixshot! He's carrying his shiny new custom 5 shot 480 built on a stainless Bisley in his worn out old chest rig that's held together with bubblegum and chicken wire. He is staying a few yards behind me with his video camera, taping the whole thing so he can send it to my next of kin should something go wrong. Once I settle into the backrest position, it's up to me to calm down and put one through the boiler of that big old bear. Couple things could happen here! At the shot the bear could stay down and out, or, like what happened when Sixshot's brother shot a bear that was uphill from their pack horses, the bear could come rolling down the hill right at me! No worries though, cause I have Sixshot, the legendary MeatHammer backing me up! Or do I?! I have a feeling that the bubblegum would get stuck on the frontsight and he won't be able to draw his gun, or he'll be having a footrace...not with the bear, with me! More than once I have heard him say "You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than your hunting partner!"...

Another potential problem with this approach would be, in early evening, the thermals kind of get 'goosy'. The won't change direction like an on and off switch, but might get a little swirly and our scent might get to the bears nose. If that happens, I'd be kicking horseturds all the way back to Pennsylvania!

This brings us to plan 2!

2) The bear was heading towards the blowdowns, which are to my left, when he took his nap. I will scoot to the right, and work my way up the opposite hillside behind the bear. My boots will come off so I can stalk quietly through the pineneedles and work to 50 or 60 yards of the bear directly behind him. 'But what if you have to run?'...even with my old track spikes on, I will not outrun that bear...no one could...no way! I am comfortable shooting at 50 yards from either sitting, resting my elbows on my knees or from a kneeling position. The big Keith bullet I am using is capable of penetrating from any angle, reach the vitals and still have the oomph to exit. The wind will now be in my face, carrying any scent away from the sleeping bear...once I am within my comfort zone of 50 or 60 yards, I go into position, the hammer comes back and I hope that Sixshot is getting it all on tape!

But then again, what the heck do I know about bear hunting! :wink:

cphilip

Bearcat
I would align myself with the loan pine tree puttin him directly behind it as cover and move quickly to it as my cover. Time is running out and I need to be within 50 yards fairly soon and I need to go to a place from the right and also down hill so when and if the wind dies as the sun sets the cooler air will be moving down hill towards me and not the bear... then it is play if from there once I get to the tree and have a look.

callshot

Blackhawk
I don't need any more presses. For the contest, Dick, I would be right behind you until the bear charges. From then on I would be out in front of you. If it catches me, I would hit it in the nose. when it opens it's mouth, I'd reach in and grab the inside of its tail, Jerk it inside out, shake it twice for good measure. Take a picture of it for this here forum, and laugh at all the tender footed persons watching from the sidelines as I drink another glass of water. Did I mention that I don't need any more bear heads or hides around my house, especially if they have fleas. Good luck to whom ever wins this karma. :lol: :lol: Steve

huntnfool

Bearcat
Maybe I would put on my Primos Campground Trash Can disguise, then smear myself with bacon grease and when he comes in to give me a lick, POW. Big bear walkin the green mile :lol:

deac45

Single-Sixer
I'd try to make my way to the lone pine, set up and wait. If he ambles my way...great If he doesn't...I won't be skinnin' after dark!

Or just turn around and say "Hey Sixshot...there's a huge badger in that blow down over there. We just gotta get that bear out of the way first."

deac45

contender

Ruger Guru
middleshot,,,,, I just about choked on that one! :D :D
BTW; I do go barefoot a LOT. (You missed it but I even did it a few times out there in the mornings when I needed something out of my truck.) Plus,, in USPSA circles,, I'm known as "the Barefoot Man." I shoot competition barefoot,, even on "rough" ranges with a lot of gravel & spent casings. So,, I'd be just fine barefoot out there in the spring doing a stalk,, even if I had to run,, hard,,,! I promise I can run just as hard as a guy with boots on. In fact,, I've actually had a few times where in USPSA my being barefoot in muddy,, bad conditions,, I had better traction than most folks.

mt

Single-Sixer
I've no need for another press but I have to point out a small omission in your scenario.

How far is the truck? Maybe I don't want to shoot a bear right at dark? :shock:

mt

ps. Dick, I finished shapeing the Holly grips and talked to the guy in Bandera about laser engraving. I'm just waitin' on a ride to go and get them finished.

Latest posts