High Polished Stainless Steel Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JD Press

Bearcat
I have a high polished stainless steel New Model Single Six Convertible with fixed sights. Serial Number is 268-21002 and it was manufactured in 1999.

Does anyone have an estimate on how many were made with the high-polished finish?

Thank you,

J.D. Press

JD Press

Bearcat
contender said:
Do you have the box with the exact model designation? That will help tracking info.

Contender:

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I do not have the box with the exact model designation. It came with a Ruger box but the serial number does not match this revolver.

J.D. Press

hittman

Staff member
I know stainless is hard to photograph but, it doesn't look like high polished to me. Appears brushed on my computer. A call to Ruger may tell.

For collector info, approximate production, etc. I usually consult my RENE guide.

G2

Hunter
I re-call back a just a few years when the "clean up / clean out" went on, there were a boat load of these high polish .22cal fixed sight guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
I stand corrected! It is NOT a GKNR6!!!!!!!! My apologies!

JD Press & I exchanged PM's & I didn't look at the pic. The GKNR6 has adjustable sights. bedrockfred has a big point. I missed the pic & had already given JD info in a PM.

It's highly likely this is a much later gun than the GKNR6.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Not a "vaquero". Heck man, it says it right on the side "Ruger New Model Single Six"!!!!!!

"Vaquero" is a pre-2005 fixed sight Large Frame model or post-2013 fixed sight mid-frame model (with the 2005-2013 interim filled by the "new vaquero" designation," which has since been abandoned).

There WERE Ruger Single Sixes with fixed sights in 32H&R - which were, without question, marked as "Single Six" - that were marketed as "Vaquerito," aka "little cowboy", as "vaquero" is "cowboy," but to my knowledge, there were never any 22cal Single Sixes that were ever marketed as such. And again, even though these fixed sight 32H&R Single Sixes were MARKETED as "Vaqueritos," they were never labeled as such, and forever and always have been "Single Sixes".

The small frame 32 and 22cal Ruger single action, whether fixed or adjustable sights, or the drift adjustable dovetail sights of old, are all Single Sixes, not Vaqueros. There's never been a 22caliber Vaquero. There has never been a small frame Vaquero. I don't know why that question comes up so often. A Ford Ranger could never be a Ford F-150 just because it had a different steering wheel - it's a Ford Ranger.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Kinda looks like an SAA too, are you sure it's not a Colt?

The duck analogy is more like a vaquero is a goose and a single six is a duck. Sure, kinda similar, but a duck still isn't a goose.

Model designations are straight forward. A fixed sight Single Six is a Single Six. Never a Vaquero. Ruger makes it easy for you - it says it's name right there on the side.

street

Hunter
It's not always the best idea to use what's stamped on the frame as the last word on what to call a Ruger Single Action!!! Case in point! Look at what's stamped on the frame of an Old Model Single-Six, an Old Model Super Single-Six, and an Old Model Ruger Lightweight. All three have "RUGER SINGLE-SIX." The Super doesn't have "SUPER" stamped on it and the Lightweight doesn't have "LIGHTWEIGHT" stamped on it. Another case in point. Do you think there is a different name for the Old Model .357 Blackhawk and the Old Model Flattop .357 Mag. If you look on the frames it just has "RUGER .357 CAL. BLACKHAWK" stamped on the frame of both guns. I think we all know and call the Flattops, what they are, and that is a Ruger Flattop .357 Mag. Blackhawk. Even though the word Flattop is not stamped on the frame. Even to this late date Ruger has just stamped "VAQUERO" and not "NEW VAQUERO" on the frames of some of the New Vaqueros.

So, as I stated above using what's stamped on the frame as the last word on what to call a Ruger might not be the best idea.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, its a GKNR6F.
All of the stainless "F" fixed Vaquero style models were high polish.
There were probably a little more than 500 of the GKNR6F model with the "Ruger Single-Six" rollmark (up to 268-03600 or so) and probably less than 1,100 with the "Ruger New Model Single-Six" rollmark. About the last 300 or so of these were "cleanup" guns with the Southport address rollmarked on the bottom of the barrel.
Chet15

Varminterror said:
Not a "vaquero". Heck man, it says it right on the side "Ruger New Model Single Six"!!!!!!

"Vaquero" is a pre-2005 fixed sight Large Frame model or post-2013 fixed sight mid-frame model (with the 2005-2013 interim filled by the "new vaquero" designation," which has since been abandoned).

There WERE Ruger Single Sixes with fixed sights in 32H&R - which were, without question, marked as "Single Six" - that were marketed as "Vaquerito," aka "little cowboy", as "vaquero" is "cowboy," but to my knowledge, there were never any 22cal Single Sixes that were ever marketed as such. And again, even though these fixed sight 32H&R Single Sixes were MARKETED as "Vaqueritos," they were never labeled as such, and forever and always have been "Single Sixes".

The small frame 32 and 22cal Ruger single action, whether fixed or adjustable sights, or the drift adjustable dovetail sights of old, are all Single Sixes, not Vaqueros. There's never been a 22caliber Vaquero. There has never been a small frame Vaquero. I don't know why that question comes up so often. A Ford Ranger could never be a Ford F-150 just because it had a different steering wheel - it's a Ford Ranger.

Then what would the Ruger Single Six catalog #BNV-224-SI be? What does the "V" signify in the catalog number? The frame says New Model Single Six but I thought the "V" stood for Vaquero?

chet15

Hawkeye
Yeah...when somebody at Ruger determines what a catalog number should be for a particular model, all the rules they used in the past for naming go right out the window.

Although the "BNV" should be the abbreviation for New Model Vaquero, the Blackhawk size frame, the BNV-224SI is a New Model Single-Six, Vaquero style, 22 cal with 4-5/8" barrel, short grip frame and simulated ivory panels.
Chet15

Latest posts