Here's my latest Security Six refurb

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This was not a good looking gun when I got it. It is a 1983 model that was not taken care of. The frame is now Graphite Black; the cylinder, cylinder release, rear sight and the hammer pivot are Blue Titianum.

002-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

NOW

017-3.jpg

016-3.jpg

RugerHound

Hunter
You did a great job rescuing that poor gun! I sure enjoy seeing neglected firearms getting a makeover rather than just shot 'till they fall apart or scrapped.

Very tasteful restoration!!

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Beautiful job and very tastefully done. Thanks from a major Ruger fan.
Only thing missed is that the prior owner should have been pistol whipped with the gun and the before photos taken with his blood still dripping from it. :shock:
Sal

NorEaster

Blackhawk
Nice Job!
Question: Does the finish applied add any dimensional change to the fitted parts that would make the assembly/disassembly process any more difficult?

Salmoneye

Single-Sixer
NorEaster said:
Nice Job!
Question: Does the finish applied add any dimensional change to the fitted parts that would make the assembly/disassembly process any more difficult?

The real question in my mind is, bottom line appx. price from before to after (without the price of the gun when acquired)...

BTW...

Beautiful is the only word that comes to mind!

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Would you mind sharing how you performed the procedure of jeweling in the cylinder flutes? I don't remember ever seeing it done on an inside radius.
TIA,
Sal

Salmoneye - I have all the stuff to do this on hand (I'm a part time gunsmith) so it is more time than anything else. In all I probably have about $10 in material (the cost of the CeraKote) and a couple hours labor. The gun get dismantled, degreased, the parts to be coated get blasted with a 120 grit aluminum oxide, the parts are degreased again, sprayed, baked and put back together.

NorEaster - It doesn't really dimensionally change much. The coating thickness is about .001 and I've not found it to change anything in putting guns back together.

Sal1950 - I built a holding fixture similiar to a bolt jeweling jig to hold the cylinder so I could get the jeweling brush to hit 1/2 the flute somewhat vertical, then I'd turn it around to reindex and do the other 1/2. It's the first time I have tried jeweling an inside radius and am happy with the way it turned out.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
RoninPA said:
Sal1950 - I built a holding fixture similiar to a bolt jeweling jig to hold the cylinder so I could get the jeweling brush to hit 1/2 the flute somewhat vertical, then I'd turn it around to reindex and do the other 1/2. It's the first time I have tried jeweling an inside radius and am happy with the way it turned out.

You should be happy, and proud, it looks amazing!
Sal